The 2021 National Tour and Western Montana

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

The 2021 National Tour and Western Montana

Post by Dennis Prince » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:01 pm

A group of us (4 T's) are planning on going to the 2021 National Tour in Spokane (our first National Tour) and the driving the back roads in Western Montana for a couple of weeks. Any info or help about where to go and what to see would be greatly appreciate. We like to drive on dirt, gravel or less, the further away from civilization the better.
WIN_20190919_13_08_38_Pro.jpg

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: The 2021 National Tour and Western Montana

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:34 pm

I expect we've all seen a western movie or TV show where the sheriff is secretly a member of the outlaw gang. The model for that character was Henry Plummer, who was the law in the old mining town of Bannack. Plummer's brief criminal career ended with him dancing on air at the invitation of a vigilance committee. Bannack is now a state historical park, and well worth a visit.

The Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge is a pleasant place to visit on a summer day. Part of the entertainment there was watching a little fox mark his territory, trot a few paces, mark another spot, trot some more, mark again, and so on until he was out of sight.

It's not out in the sticks, but a national treasure I will visit again is Charles Russell's studio in Great Falls. Just reading his letters with little illustrations drawn in the margins is a hoot.

I haven't been to Montana for many years, and one item on my bucket list is to take the three Missouri River ferry crossings by Model T.

MAP082 copy.jpg
Aunts & Mom at Bannack Hotel,1971
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:38 pm

Montana is huge. We have several counties larger than Connecticut.

There are two major east west paved roads. Three major north south. About 600 miles apart. Pretty much everything else is gravel.

Lots to choose from. It is further from Yaak in Northwest Montana to Alzada in southeast Montana than from Chicago to New York.

Bring a coat, it is COLD every night. Not cool, COLD.

You can camp at one of my ranches if you come this way.

dlmyers
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 24465
MTFCI Number: 19884
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by dlmyers » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:42 am

I will second what Steve said about Charles Russell's studio in Great Falls.
20 years ago my wife and I spent a couple weeks in western Montana mostly following Lewis and Clark.
It will be a great place to tour.
The old forums are a gold mine of information.

Topic author
Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802

Post by Dennis Prince » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:32 pm

Thank you for responding, Steve, we have Bannock on our list, we at this time not planning on going east as far as Great Falls but we are just starting the planning phase. Stan, thank you for the great offer to stay at you ranch but at this point it is to far east, your description of the state is a part of our problem, we feel like a dog at a frisbee festival. There is so much country to see we decided to pick the western 1/3rd of the state and spend our time there but are not familiar with the area so we thought maybe people in the know might be willing to share some of their favorite spots with us. This will also be out first National tour and not really sure what to expect.

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:36 am

Dennis, sent you a email, lots to see in this part of Montana. All mountain driving here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic