Is there a way to keep the u-joint grease in?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Is there a way to keep the u-joint grease in?

Post by It's Bill » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:52 am

When I pulled my engine, I found that the u-joint was pretty well emptied out of grease. That was after maybe 200 miles of driving. It had escaped from the ball shaped driveline connection and made a real mess. Has anyone found a way to better contain this stuff in operation? I am using the pastey, fibrous type grease here.

Cheers, Bill

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Is there a way to keep the u-joint grease in?

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:04 am

You can get a shim for loose fitting balls. Did you by any chance have a gasket between the ball cap and 4th main? There should not be one there if you did. The only gasket in that area is the one between the 4th and back of hogs head. Also, how well does the output/tail shaft fit in the 4th and is the plug in the the output/tail shaft? Looseness or lack of plug can lead to excess oil washing out the grease.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
It's Bill

Post by It's Bill » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 am

Mark, I think you hit it! There was a gasket between the ball cap and the rear ball connecting gizmo. Stands to reason it would create a super loose fit at that point. The ball appears to fit up well. Thanks a million! Bill

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:45 am

Make sure you pack that ball FULL of grease when you put it all back together!
Then, every 500 miles it'll be a lot easier to keep it full of grease. I prefer to use the zerk-fitted grease cup
that you can get from Langs. Not expensive, sure makes keeping the U-joint ball filled. Got 'em on both
my cars. This is where I say "to heck with purism"!! Gotta be pragmatic sometimes.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:07 am

It's Bill wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 am
Mark, I think you hit it! There was a gasket between the ball cap and the rear ball connecting gizmo. Stands to reason it would create a super loose fit at that point. The ball appears to fit up well. Thanks a million! Bill
Thank you! If I have it on hand, I would use the red grease. I think the type of grease you are using is ok for wheels that have more open bearings, the grease needs to get inside the joints in the u-joint. Yes I too have used that type, the stringy, but on reflection, don't think it is a good idea in this location. More often then not, the grease I use is what is at hand. I am not really worried mixing or that it might have something in it that might short out the mag. More then likely it is going to flow down the tube or out the ball joint as it is diluted with engine oil, not into the engine. ;)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
It's Bill

Post by It's Bill » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:57 pm

Thanks again guys. The engine is freshy rebuilt, so it is likely any oil flow will go towards the tube. All of that stuff is freshly rebuilt, too, so I should be good to go for quite a while! Cheers, Bill

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:45 pm

I was wondering if 5th wheel grease would be a better solution for the ball end. I would prefer a grease for the ball end to be "water proof" not just "water resistant"
Attachments
sl1.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Frank, I've been using the "Red 'n Tacky" ever since starting with Ts in 2012. I think it works super good. Just my opinion.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:03 pm

TWrenn wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:55 pm
Frank, I've been using the "Red 'n Tacky" ever since starting with Ts in 2012. I think it works super good. Just my opinion.
Thanks lots of brand's to choose from. Question : does it leak out much? Some owners have complained about the grease that they use (brand?) leaking and making a mess.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:38 pm

Like I've posted before, Get a Huggies super absorbant diaper and wrap it around and you won't drip grease out all over the driveway. Change it every oil change.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:56 am

I use John Deere corn head grease.

Jim-B
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Boyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 T truck. 1927 T roadster

Post by Jim-B » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:29 am

I have noticed several posts using corn header grease for several different things, is there something special about corn header grease?
Thanks for your input. Jim

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Jim-B wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:29 am
I have noticed several posts using corn header grease for several different things, is there something special about corn header grease?
Thanks for your input. Jim
Did some Internet searching...
"corn head grease is a poly urea based NLGI 0EP grease. commonly used in corn headers and similar boxes. It is a semi-pourable grease suitable for some gear boxes as it will slump to prevent cavitation voids like a #2 grease might cause. I would not recommend it as gun grease for grease fittings."
From https://www.cenex.com/~/media/cenex/fil ... h9-02.ashx
Multi-purpose Semi-Fluid Grease
General Description Corn Head Grease is a high quality multi-purpose, semi-fluid type grease available in an NLGI #0 grade. Although primarily applied in corn head lubrication, this product can be recommended for many applications in agriculture, automotive, construction and industrial environments.Corn Head Grease is a carefully formulated lithium 12-hydroxystearate grease with oxidation, rust and corrosion inhibitors, extreme pressure (EP) additives for anti-wear and heavy shock loading, and a special polymer to control oil separation during storage. The base oil used is a high viscosity index lubricant which provides excellent stability under various temperature conditions.Corn Head Grease has superior water tolerance and resists water washout, exhibits good high temperature capabilities and has outstanding mechanical stability by retaining its consistency in hard use.
Attachments
Corn head.jpg
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic