Thought I had seen it all...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Thought I had seen it all...

Post by Joe Bell » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:59 am

Tore an engine down and found this on the intake valves between the intake and block. The only thing I could figure out was that it was to keep the valve open longer. Probably a gimmick that didn't work.
[
PXL_20210104_132756365.jpg

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: Thought I had seen it all...

Post by Les Schubert » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:24 pm

My guess is it was a method of reducing the leakage effect of worn valve guides

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:42 pm

Spring loaded valve stem seal. Enough pressure to keep seal in place but not enough to interfere with operation.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Perry Goble
First Name: William
Last Name: Goble
MTFCA Number: 31190
MTFCI Number: 24534

Post by Perry Goble » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:53 pm

A couple of the better Ideals I have found when tearing down motors . One had had an extra oil ran along the left in side the motor an mirror of the right . When I removed the generator from a old crusty motor , I saw that it had a old Folgers coffee can wrapped around the housing held in place with baling wire . When I removed the wire springs and ball bearings went flying . Someone had drilled tapered holes in the center of the fields so that the ball bearings would float against the armature , the springs hale pressure on the ball bearings . genius Perry

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:04 pm

And on Tammie's kitchen table no less!? Boy are you brave!! :lol: :lol:

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:41 pm

Joe Bell- Les Schubert is exactly right. I don't know if there's any connection or not, but many years ago, I explained on the old forum, a method I used to make cheap but effective intake valve guide seals out of cheap standard hardware items, easy to make & install on my good running but worn & loose "T" engine that I was not ready to pull out for total rebuild yet. A frequent forum poster at that time (Seth Harbuck) liked the idea so well that he posted his very good drawing on the forum to better explain what I had devised from merely a very soft spring, a standard plain flat washer and similar sized felt washer. Four sets of these, one on each intake valve stem served to reduce oil & vacuum leak thru' worn intake valve guides. The photo you posted Joe, looks just like the idea I devised & used. For what it's worth, these worked very well to reduce oil sucked thru worn intake valve guides and also provide smoother idle due to less vacuum leak thru' worn intake valve guides, and even provide a bit more valve spring pressure besides. The four sets of these cheaply made intake valve guide seals are still on that engine to this day and still work well, tho' I haven't driven the car much in recent years. This was not an original idea of mine, as accessory valve guide seals were available back in the "T" era, but I just figured out how to make them cheaply from cheap, easy to find standard hardware items. For what it's worth,.....harold

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:59 pm

Joe, I have a 1925 engine that came with a parts car, that has those seals on the intakes at least. It appears to have a fresh overhaul. I have not looked into it to see what has been done other than looking in and seeing clean and new parts in the transmission.

2nighthawks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster

Post by 2nighthawks » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:41 pm

Oops! As usual for me, I used "too many words" with my post above about my "cheapo" intake valve guide seals! Forget what I said about my little seal device spring "adding" a bit to valve spring pressure! In thinking more about it, those little added valve guide seal springs would actually work slightly AGAINST the valve springs! I guess that's why I used a very light and soft spring, with just enough pressure to hold the little felt washer and flat washer against the top of the valve guide!

(.....still using the same ol' brain I was using back then, but it's 80 years old now! Makes a difference,.... :roll:

2nighthawks

Post by 2nighthawks » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm

Bill Dizer - .....they would only be on the intakes, because there's only vacuum at work on the intakes, but no vacuum on the exhaust valve, and besides,.....the exhaust valve stems would be too hot for those little felt seals and just bake them to a crisp! ......harold

Topic author
Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:52 pm

They where only on the intake, It surprised me since the guides where still tight? I thought it would reduce fuel on the intake or some wild ideal of making the fuel atomize better? Tim, the wife took the picture, you do not think I could post some thing like this the dumby I am on computers!!

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:07 pm

Those felts with their own spring are cute, haven't seen an adv. for that style.

Have seen remains of steel clip and felt collar in the valve chamber, these mount onto the valve spring.

stem packing.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:25 pm

I saw them today. The seal is leather, long since worn out. The spring is carboned up so probably one of those ideas that didn’t catch on. Not much lubrication in gasoline. If you have an oil pumper, perhaps with felt would help the oil smoke.
I’ve got a low mileage 1948 Buick. Smoked bad , but a set of valve seals in 1993 took care of that problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic