My cam gear status

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tommyleea
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Russell

My cam gear status

Post by tommyleea » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:35 pm

23 Roadster..Starter drive ate my mag coil. A recent purchase that ran and drove, but not on mag. Not a big issue, until I replaced some gaskets for leakage. When I removed the oil pan inspection cover, I noticed a pile of copper around the starter area. I assume starter was replaced without removing the starter drive first. So, I figured better not drive anymore. Pulled the motor, and here is my gear setup. The crank gear has the ford script on it. The cam gear is the dreaded fiber Cylent gear. Interesting it has a patent date of 1913. Not sure what the patent was for. Anyway, I assume the consensus will be to replace the fiber with metal?? Thanks
0105211234_Burst01.jpg

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Re: My cam gear status

Post by Dan McEachern » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:41 pm

That's an early Cloyes gear- probably one of the higher quality fiber gears out there- not new by any means- . Probably has many miles left on it as long as the crank gear teeth are not worn out.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:07 pm

Yep..I concur..make it a bronze cam gear. BUT, while you have the engine out of the frame; go ahead and tear it down and install a rewound field coil and recharge the magnets. Your roadster will run better. After all, its winter now and you could have it ready by Spring touring 😁
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:15 pm

I concur with Dan - nothing wrong with "Cylent" fiber gears - it's the repros made for the last 40 + years that will "come from together" at the worst possible time !

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:05 pm

I have a Cylent gear in my '25 Touring. It's been there for 50 years plus and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. I would NEVER use one of the new ones however. I shredded 2 already and caught a 3rd just prior to disaster.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:07 pm

Further to Dan’s comment, please make sure that when you reinstall the generator it is not too loose or binding against the cam gear. And yes I would continue to run it!

Topic author
tommyleea
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Russell

Post by tommyleea » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:47 pm

Thanks for the inputs...I did order a new mag ring...

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:42 am

If I were replacing a cam gear my first choice would be a McEachern bronze gear. Second choice aluminum.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:17 am

I agree with Steve. Dan's gears are super. I drilled and tapped a couple of holes in mine so I could later fit a puller on it from the front. I doubt very much that it will ever need such attention, but just in case... Cheers, Bill

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:39 pm

If you decide to keep that gear, make sure that the cam nut is tight. I have had two fiber gear failures in T engines. Both were rebuilt in the '70s so probably newer gears and maybe the bad ones, but both were also loose and appeared to have been loose for some time. I'm sure the looseness contributed to the failures. The fiber gears were much thicker and the nut only went on a few threads. I think it was hard to maintain a tight fit.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:11 pm

Jeff Hood wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:39 pm
If you decide to keep that gear, make sure that the cam nut is tight. I have had two fiber gear failures in T engines. Both were rebuilt in the '70s so probably newer gears and maybe the bad ones, but both were also loose and appeared to have been loose for some time. I'm sure the looseness contributed to the failures. The fiber gears were much thicker and the nut only went on a few threads. I think it was hard to maintain a tight fit.
Jeff,

I had the same trouble with a newer fiber gear that eventually ended up breaking. It came loose at least a couple of times. I finally made a washer with a "finger" on it that was bent over and fit into a small hole I drilled in the face of the gear hub. On the other side of the washer, I bent a small section of it over, onto the flat of the cam gear nut. It never cam loose again... until I had to remove the remains of the shredded gear from my engine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic