The Old Fashioned Way

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RichJ
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Jesteadt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1913 Touring project w. "A" crank shaft
MTFCA Number: 50484
MTFCI Number: 24737

The Old Fashioned Way

Post by RichJ » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm

This was going to be a continuation of Bob's post "Watchout". But I've decided to make it a new post because I am hoping that more people will see it this way.

I called Bob yesterday because I also had a bad experience some years back. I will never go public. I just will never have anything to do with the dirt bag.

Bob and I had a very good, lengthy conversation. The call was the next best thing to being face to face. We covered many topics. I felt I really got to know him. Point being, we developed a connection that could never have occurred through the techy ways.

I am struggling to adapt to the modern, ever changing technology. I am doing this with one finger, pecking away, and then my wife will clean it up before posting. Otherwise - without her tweaking - most of you would have given up reading this and moved on.

I would really like to interact more with you guys but I am reluctant because typing and computers will never be my strong point. I grew up with a wrench in my hand and didn't pay much attention in high school, especially when it came to typing. I thought I'd never need typing. So navigating a keyboard and a mouse will never be second nature to me. However, I will not hesitate to rebuild an alternator, starter, four-barrel carburetor, fit bearings, etc. We all excel in different areas.

I am into a project right now that I wish I could get information on by way of the phone. There is so much good information available but only through the keyboard. And my wife is ready to go on strike :)

Some people are reluctant or refuse to use the phone. I suggest that if you are open to using the phone include your number in your post or better yet in your profile. And if a call comes at an inconvenient time just say so and reschedule it.

I believe there are a lot of us who are computer handicapped (that's why there are so many lurkers), and who would feel more comfortable using the phone and have a complete conversation rather than getting only snippets of information. For me an honest description of a part is still the best. Pictures are good but they don't always show everything.

I started this at 8 am. At 3 pm my wife is finally posting it....

Call me any time.
Rich
561-262-0393

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: The Old Fashioned Way

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:22 pm

Rich, I'm with you on the use of the ever changing technology inflicted upon us these days. I do have a go, but with limited skills. My real bugbear is the people who spend time sending me a typed phone message, and expecting me to respond promptly! WHAT"S WRONG WITH CALLING IF YOU WANT AN ANSWER? Its a heck of a lot easier to get the message across and to make corrections if the message is not well understood. I thought instant gratification was the name of the game these days!

AllAn from down under.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:35 pm

True story - when I was still working at a large defense firm, one of my young direct reports was complaining that a co-worker was not responding to their emails. Of course, I suggested that they pick up the phone and call the person. They said in horror, "Oh no, that's way too formal."!

So, with some young folks, casual conversation happens via email or tweet, and using one's own voice and ears is too formal! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:54 pm

The use of the forum is to communicate to a broad audience at once and for others to share ideas. The intent of sending people emails & text messages instead of the using the telephone is to avoid playing telephone tag. Voice mail technology, if properly used, can reduce that. Now we can communicate with family and friends via video connections as well.
I am not saying that these methods can replace a phone call to an old fried.

You say you are computer challenged - I say that at one time your where mechanically challenged but made the effort to overcome that. There is no reason to stop learning. I am a retired computer expert with minimal mechanical skills. I chose to work on a Model T to LEARN - welding , painting, metal work, rebuilding a differential etc etc etc. All the things that you know. We live in an ever changing world and we must learn to change with it.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

CraneJon
First Name: jon
Last Name: crane
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 T pickup, 1928 A, 1931 A

Post by CraneJon » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:14 pm

I am a 72 year young engineer. Only thing I can add to Bob's message that I agree with is that i do not hunt and peck with one finger. I took typing in High School. Probably one of the best classes I ever took resulting in a conservative 40wpm typing PLUS I was the only boy in a class full of beautiful girls...Typing was good and you did not get that added benefit in shop class.
Jon Crane
Rochester Mich

YellowTRacer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Archer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 replica Transcontinental race car, 1915 2 man race car, 1918 American bodied speedster
MTFCA Number: 19
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by YellowTRacer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:16 pm

Okay, one thing for sure that I got out of this. When someone responds with call me, that should be a hint, call him on the phone, don't respond electronically. I too love the phone.

Ed aka #4

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:57 pm

As a "buyer & seller" on this site, I'll add that as a retired heavy equipment operator, my hearing's not all that great and although I can't type, I can surely read ! The only addition I'll write out here is why, if I had a part for sale would a prospective buyer request I call him - I'm selling & you're buying - you contact me !

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by rickd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:27 pm

I agree with Steve on this one. I buy a lot of parts on this site. I think the seller deserves to be contacted the way the seller asks to be contacted. Some like email, some like a phone call, some like a pm, and in my area of the country a hand shake and eye contact are everything. Its a sign of respect to the seller to contact them the way they ask to be contacted.

Playswithbrass
First Name: Peter
Last Name: McIntyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Playswithbrass » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:32 pm

I hate typing and spelling. My wife showed me on the I Pad where the microphone was and I now just dictate and it magically types It out. It is always best to proof read in case you mumbled some words

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:39 pm

I hear you on your reluctance to learn this new stuff, but I'm kind of the same way. I've learned the basics, and that is about it. Now I'm having problems with my new iPhone, which is worse! Welcome to the club. BTW, I'll be 78 this month.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:02 pm

I also took typing in high school. When we first got a computer I had in mind typing out a letter, printing it and mailing it in U.S. mail. I never had any idea of such a thing as e-mail, however, now the telephone has become a source of junk calls and the U.S. mail has become a source of junk mail. It has also slowed down. I usually don't order anything on line, because every site seems to have a different format and I have a hard time determining whether I have sent my order or clicked off. If I try to check then I order it twice. So I usually look on line to see what I want to buy and call the company to place my order. Another thing I don't like is the automatic telephones which say if you want this press 1. If you want that press 2. etc. Then when I push the key to talk to someone I get,"This call is very important to us. Please wait for the next available person to answer" But life changes. We got a new car last year and it still has some features I don't understand and probably don't need, because I can drive it. It even has a feature to change the configuration of the display on the dash!
Norm

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:00 pm

Oh, Boy ! The "I've become the old man, yelling at kids to get off my
lawn" topic ! :lol:

I never learned to type seriously until these comptrometers became
an unavoidable nuisance to simply get through life. Like the original
poster, I struggled. But like anything, if you work at it, you get better.
I tested about 40wpm when I worked in law enforcement.

I missed High School typing class, but took French to get "in" with the
best looking girls around, who also took the class. I didn't retain much
of the French, but I sure did learn a lot about self confidence and not
being intimidated by "hot chicks" ! :lol:

I've had to eat a lot of this new tech garbage that I'd really prefer to
carry on in old tech ways, just to run my business, and can see how without
it, I'd be OUT of business ! Still, some of it drives me nuts. My biggest
peeve is people texting, asking for what they know requires a lengthy,
wordy, back-and-forth conversational exchange, knowing damned well
that my job requires lots and lots of ladder work, hanging upside-down
by my toenails kind of things, where thumb-type texting, or even the
verbal texting is a PITA. Just CALL ME !!! :x

Most of my employees are 20-somethings, and I sure to get exposed to
an whole other world that these kids live in. On one hand it is annoying
as hell. On the other, if I ever need to figure something out, they usually
already know it and never miss the opportunity to point out that I am "old" ! :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:23 am

Your post is very important to me, but please read carefully because some of my options have changed.

Dragged kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century, I had to learn to use a computer and create a website for business. But...
My solution for texting: I refuse.
My solution for dealing with a "smart" phone: I refuse.

IMG_5818.JPG
Still living in the nineties...

IMG_7425 copy.JPG
...and the teens.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:41 am

I'm with you Steve - minimal computer skills and NO smart phone - the old flip phone resides in my old Ford P/U.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:28 am

I have another angle on this subject: Some of us are awkward meeting/talking to new people. Thus, it's more comfortable to send an email rather than call the person and make ourselves look like a fool (which I usually do or at least feel like). I totally agree with responding as the other person requests/expects. Being "older than dirt" puts me in the same category as many of us here. Like Steve, I have been dragged into technology I would prefer not to use but with all things; there are pluses and minuses. While I try to use the pluses and minimize the minuses, there will always be some instances of being uncomfortable. I have my limits: NO Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Texting, Selfies, and all the other things most "young-'uns" take for granted these days.

While I have made good friends over the phone, I believe, I have made more good friends on the internet hobby forums. When you call, you communicate with one person. When you post, you'll never know how many you are communicating with NOR for how long, as your posts may last forever on line. I have benefited from many on different forums. I like to think I have returned the favors by posting as well. On the other hand, there are just a few I have actually talked to or met. While the meetings have all been enjoyable, they are few.

Cheers,
Terry

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:00 pm

rickd wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:27 pm
I agree with Steve on this one. I buy a lot of parts on this site. I think the seller deserves to be contacted the way the seller asks to be contacted. Some like email, some like a phone call, some like a pm, and in my area of the country a hand shake and eye contact are everything. Its a sign of respect to the seller to contact them the way they ask to be contacted.
I agree with you guys on this one, but you all should just be able to read my mind😁

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 am

I am 71 years old and have ADD which makes phone conversations difficult at times because I get distracted WAY to easily. ( had a hell of a time in school, didn't know why back then) I also have Tinnitus and hearing loss thanks crewing Chinook helicopters in Vietnam among other things. While I do enjoy conversing with people on the phone, I sometimes prefer to use emails or texts because I can miss things while talking, it's VERY aggravating for me. I never took typing in high school because I was gear head country boy and had no desire to have an office job, why would I ever need to know how to type?!!! I get by with the tried and true "hunt and peck" method of typing, sort of. I'm dumber than a post when it comes to computers and technology, but I am getting better. It's a damn good thing computers don't have to use "white out". :lol: :lol: Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Topic author
RichJ
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1913 Touring project w. "A" crank shaft

Post by RichJ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:04 am

Dave ,other than being 7 yrs older we are twins .

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:14 am

I have to say you guys make me feel good that I am not the only one on a flip phone, texting that is not gonna happen, I can count on both hands how many times I have had to do that, would rather talk to a human!

Topic author
RichJ

Post by RichJ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:54 am

I was about 70 when i first started using key board and computer[ i,ll be 78 in two weeks] and it.s all because of this forum and learning about my newly acquired mdl T, to me a mouse was something that woul d destroy your upholstery in storage !
my wife helped to get me started but for the most part I,m on my own as she has full time job.
It is damm hard for this old dog to learn this new trick
and to make it worse my fingers are big , always hitting two keys at same time,
I realy envy you guys who can do both, the mechanical and teck stuff.

Topic author
RichJ

Post by RichJ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:01 am

Joe I totally agree.
You are one of the guys I ENVY.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:23 am

Also a proud member of the flip-phone club!

I will text, but very minimally, It's cumbersome to text on a flip phone, which is why I like it! Keeps things short and essential. No long, frivolous cutsie messages.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:56 am

Some of the time it bothers me to see young people on their phone almost all the time. On the other hand they are so able to look up anything they want to know?? Nice to see the post from so many!! PS, It's Frank Fenton's Birthday!! :D :D :D Bud.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:27 am

If nothing else about a so-called "smarter than us phone" aside from the fact that they ARE a mini-computer in your hand, is that they are absolutely indispensable as a traveling navigator. Just as good as the built-in unit in a vehicle that eventually will go bad and cost hundreds to repair. All you gotta do is open the map program, literally tell it your destination, hit the "start button" and it tells you where to go! But not as bad as the wife sometimes does! :lol:

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 am

...they are absolutely indispensable as a traveling navigator.

I'll buy handy. But indispensable? No sale. There is this invention called the map. :D

COWLEY ECS.png
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:16 pm

I too insisted I'd never give up my good-old flip phone. I finally had to when it finally crapped out. I'd long admired some of the neat things I'd seen done at Hershey with the smart phone, and as the pay-phones began to disappear, it became obvious an upgrade was in order. So, Sue got me a new phone under her special business plan and the rest is history. Now, I can carry photos around with me on the phone so when I see something I've been looking for, I can verify it by looking at a photo, even with dimensions and important info actually written on the photo. I became an inadvertent flea market vendor year ago by having to sell off some stuff like duplicate brass lamps (ended up with two lefts because I couldn't remember which one I already had). All during Hershey week, I have friends and even my Hershey-loving wife, text me photos, info, questions, and space numbers so when I'm stuck minding the store, there are eyes still out there looking for stuff on my behalf. One year Sue texted me a photo of a rare piece of automobilia and asked if I was interested. Good photos, a good price, and within seconds, by text back to her was my answer - "hold onto it, don't put it down, I'm on my way." I had a friend watch the store for a few mins and by the time I got to her, there was a crowd of people waiting for her to put it down! Needless to say, without the technology at hand, that item would not be in my collection today. Heck, using the phone I can even bid on junk on evilbay while I'm in the middle of the swap meet, or sitting in the pub. Don't want to hijack the thread, but although there is nothing like a person-to-person conversation, technology has it's place and time.
See you at Hershey 2021 - GCC 5, 6. Put that location in your GPS and add a reminder to your cell-phone list of things to do - don't forget to bring old spark plugs!
Terry

YellowTRacer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Archer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 replica Transcontinental race car, 1915 2 man race car, 1918 American bodied speedster
MTFCA Number: 19
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by YellowTRacer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:38 pm

I have a dumb phone. A smart phone is only as smart as the operator. Earl on I was like so many...... stubborn! I don't need a computer!! Or any of that other modern electronic stuff. That was in the mid 90's. I'm an automobile appraiser, and attorney's that I would deal with began to say "I'll fax it to you" or "Fax that to me" I said I don't have a fax machine." They never said this bur I can imagine in their mind they were saying "maybe I've got the wrong appraiser" So I finally had to get a fax machine. Then they began saying "email that report package to me" or I'll email this information to you". Luckily a friend of mine who worked for United Airlines called me one night in the late 90s and said "We're getting rid of a bunch of computers, like new, really cheap do you want one? I said "yeah get me one" I never typed before in my life. When I needed something typed I'd give it to my wife and she would do it. So I decided then and there that I needed to "get with the program", the rest is history. One of the best forceful decisions I've ever made. You can close your eyes to progress, but be careful.......it'll leave you behind.

Ed aka #4

Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 pm

I am 15 years old. I have grown up in the "super computer in your pocket" age. I am also homeschooled and always have been. I have learned that although email and messaging are useful, calling is usually the best way to go. Also, even though I am not all that fantastic with computers, as most kids my age are, I do use them to help with making things and research. I have taught myself two use 3d CAD programs so I can digitally build things to see if they will work. Also, I have a 3D printer I use to make models of of things, and in some cases, a part(s). I am currently typing this out on my slow dumb phone (disguised as a smart phone) because my computer is not as easily accessible currently. I have solved many miscommunications via phone or in person that would be difficult over text or email. I still see merit in emailing, though, because it enables you to respond when you are more free. This is a most interesting thread, I am enjoying learning how most prefer to communicate!

Jonah D'Avella
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Topic author
RichJ

Post by RichJ » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Thanks for all the supportive and understanding responses and suggestions, starting with Allan in Australia and ending with Jonah in Tennessee, an inquisitive and exceptionally intelligent teenager.
Change and adapting to new technology is extremely difficult, especially at my stage of life. I'm just not comfortable behind a desk (and never was). But with the help of my wife, granddaughter, and a 60-year-old Model T buddy - who I wish would move closer - and with the help of you guys I'm determined to do and learn until the end.
I'll always be more capable in my primitive garage cobbling something together out of a pile of junk. But with everyone's help it will be better junk.
Thanks again,
Rich
561-262-0393
PS: I just got off the phone with Steve Jelf. We had a really good conversation, doing it the old-fashioned way.

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:09 pm

As I have gotten older I find that actual conversation has become more difficult. If the speaker has a fine clear voice I can follow it but if the person is a mush mouth, I have real trouble. Its kinda funny to see a table full of us greybeards sitting around saying "Huh? "speak up!" or my recently favorite line "please repeat that slowly."

Person to person I can watch for visual clues. On the telephone communication has become so difficult that I have been avoiding phone calls for some years. Add to the difficulties in understanding the fact that 90% of the calls I get are time wasters and I have come to detest the phone. I do use it sometimes & there are times when things can be cleared up in a few minutes on the phone that might take numerous emails or texts. There is no time when a phone call is not an interruption. I never just sit around waiting to be called, there is always something that needs doing.

I really like email. I can compose them on my own time & answer them on my own time. They can be reread & edited for clarity.
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic