Leaky Hose Connections

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TBill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Obier
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 TT, 1913 Speedster (WIP)
MTFCA Number: 28973

Leaky Hose Connections

Post by TBill » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:30 am

Does anyone have a solution to leaky radiator hose connections? I’ve tightened the clamps but still leaks.

Seems like a non setting sealant might be in order?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Leaky Hose Connections

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 am

i use Permatex no 2 gasket goo on the hoses. It does not set hard. On rust pitted outlets it pays to use worm drive hose clips as these can be tightened much more to make the hoses conform to any irregularities in the fittings. Once they have been on for a while, they can be removed and the usual old style clamps can be substituted. The old style clamps do not seal as well, especially on pitted fittings. Tightening them often makes matters worse, as the hoses can be pinched at the clamp joints, making a leak more than likely.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 am

The inlet and outlet castings on my '26 were pitted and difficult to seal. Rather than using sealants, I used JB Weld to fill and smooth the pits in the rings that hold hoses. Once they were smooth and rounded, I had no problems using reproduction clamps.

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 am

I use clear RTV on hose connections. Seals well. When it is time to remove just twist/rotate the hose and it comes off easily.
1926 Tudor

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 am

Its a great idea to use JB-Weld to fix the pits as Mark suggested...
Here are some previous discussions and solutions
By John F. Regan on Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 11:42 am: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1528647321
There really is no need to put on RTV as a sealant when replacing hoses and clamping them for a time using modern band clamps. Only AFTER the motor has been brought to full operating temperature for some run time hours is it then OK to release the band clamp and install the original looking hose clamps. I have done that on many cars including show cars and I have never had one leak later. I have also never been able to use an original clamp and NOT have it leak. The inner rubber on the red T hoses sticks very tight once the engine heats up and the modern band clamp is applying clamping pressure. There is no real "dead line" with regard to swapping the modern to original but don't do it too soon before the engine has some hours on it via a few tours.
Discussion on Reproduction Hose Clamps issues http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1518040392

You must have a good raised ridge to put the clamp behind
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:09 am

Rough pits: What Mark said. Fill and smooth.

IMG_0021.JPG
I use the original style clamps but I replace the round head screws with fillister heads to give the screwdriver a better grip. Instead of sealant I slather on some grease so it will be easy to remove the hose if I have to. BUT if I have to remove the radiator I leave the hoses attached and unbolt the inlet and outlet from the block and head.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm

Steve's photo shows the problem using original clamps can cause. Notice the 'hill' pinched in the hose between the clamp lugs. If that causes a leak, applying more tension to stop the leak makes the 'hill' higher and the problem worse. That little sliding strip which is supposed to keep the 'hill' in check is nowhere near as effective as a worm drive clamp. I'm with John on this one. Use modern claps first, and replace them with 'correct' ones once the hoses have settled in.

Allan from down under.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Check to be sure the leak is really from the hose connection. I've chased a stubborn leak in the past, only to discover it started from higher up, on the radiator tank. The coolant slowly travelled down and settled in the seam at the top of the hose, making the leak appear to begin there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic