Resistance: How many ohms are acceptable?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ryanf1023
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Fenrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster Project

Resistance: How many ohms are acceptable?

Post by ryanf1023 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:01 am

You'd think ideally that 0 ohms would be the ideal amount. In my coil box, there are certain things that I, can not for the life of me, get below 0.3 ohms.

I've soldered the posts to the cleaned up bronze contacts, and before and after soldering, 0.3 ohms was the lowest I could get between both contact and screw, and even contact and nuts. I even got 0.3 ohms of resistance from the wire (that will be connected to the switch) that is connected to the bottom strip via an eyelet in one of the rebuild kits. I began to wonder if 0.3 ohms was just the "natural" resistance of the size and type of material.

I then went ahead and cleaned up the contacts as much as I could in the switch as seen here:
2021 ignition switch cleaning 3.jpg
I cleaned as much surface as possible without removing the rivets, including where the mag and bat terminals are, and the large switch contact. The place I couldn't get was under the contact with the terminal connecting to the bottom strip of the coil box. For fun, I tested the conductivity, and low and behold, I once again reached 0.3 ohms in this position.
2021 ignition switch cleaning 2.jpg
To my surprise, in the opposite position, I actually reached 0 ohms (my meter goes to the tenth, so less than 0.05ohms).
2021 ignition switch cleaning 4.jpg
Going all the way across to the last terminal however, it hovered around the 1.0 ohm range. This is likely due to the face that I can't get my emery cloth under the last contact.
2021 ignition switch cleaning 5.jpg

So, I'm wondering if 0.3 ohms is within tolerance. Reading the Ford Magneto section in Murray Fahnestock's book, the derived resistance as per Voltage=Resistance*Amperage from the magneto output is as follows:

0200 RPM 5.00V 6.1A 0.8ohm
0400 RPM 9.80V 7.9A 1.2ohm
0600 RPM 14.4V 8.5A 1.7ohm
0800 RPM 18.8V 8.8A 2.1ohm
1000 RPM 22.8V 8.9A 2.6ohm
1200 RPM 26.2V 9.0A 2.9ohm

I suppose my entire point of this, is that I would love to make the switch usable (clean points, new wire) without having to remove the rivets. It appears that the 0.3ohms is more material at lower speeds than higher. However, if I could get to 0ohms for one of my contacts, why am I having so much trouble with the others? Are there any suggestions on cleaning the points?

FWIW, all contacts, nuts, terminals and screws are all original. The wire mentioned above was included in the rebuild kit, and I have bulk wire ready for the switch as soon as it's cleaned.

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Re: Resistance: How many ohms are acceptable?

Post by Chris Barker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:05 am

I am wondering whether your meter may be misleading you somewhat. The voltage it applies and the current flowing will be very small.
I wonder if it's more meaningful to compare the current supplying a bulb directly and via the switch. I suggest a 12v stop or turn lamp bulb. That should take about 1.7A. Most meters have a 10A range available.

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:41 am

Chris Barker wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:05 am
I am wondering whether your meter may be misleading you somewhat. The voltage it applies and the current flowing will be very small.
I wonder if it's more meaningful to compare the current supplying a bulb directly and via the switch. I suggest a 12v stop or turn lamp bulb. That should take about 1.7A. Most meters have a 10A range available.
I agree . I work on printing equipment and have for 40 years. Tracing old wiring and troubleshooting. I think you will be fine with what you have. You would probably get close to the same readings on a new switch.

I worked on series stop button circuits sometimes with 25 contacts in series. 24 vdc feeding the circuit and maybe 12 vdc at the trailing end. Enough to pull the contact in, but the cascading resistance of each contact stacks up and drive you crazy. Replacing all contacts new helps some, but out of the box new is not 0 ohms.

Fordwright
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Popove

Post by Fordwright » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 am

Zero resistance isn't really possible, especially with some of the older metals. Remember, amps = voltage ÷ resistance.
So 12 volts ÷ 0.3 ohms = 40 amps.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:16 pm

Greg: Your measured value of 0.3 ohms is reasonable and I'd be comfortable using your switch. If you check the resistance by placing both probe tips on the polished blade portion of the switch (eg, place black probe tip next to red probe shown in second pic), what is the resistance reading? I doubt you will see exactly 0.0 Ohms even doing that. More and less pressure on the probe tips obviously gives different results and probe contact resistance can easily give values approaching what you are seeing.

Chris has the answer.

Greg is correct stating Ohm's law, but there are higher resistance components in series with the switch as Chris notes, making 0.3 Ohms a very small contribution to the over all circuit resistance. Applying 12V directly across the switch is essentially a welder circuit, you aren't restoring a welder here. Best, jb

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Ron Patterson » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:03 pm

James
Is your meter calibrated, have you adjusted the meter to zero with the probes shorted directly together and are your probes in good shape and not frayed internally?
Ron Patterson

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm

jab35 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:16 pm
Greg: Your measured value of 0.3 ohms is reasonable and I'd be comfortable using your switch. If you check the resistance by placing both probe tips on the polished blade portion of the switch (eg, place black probe tip next to red probe shown in second pic), what is the resistance reading? I doubt you will see exactly 0.0 Ohms even doing that. More and less pressure on the probe tips obviously gives different results and probe contact resistance ...
My point also. The most important reading you have shown was 1 ohm with a contact on the Bat screw and the other on the switch arm in one position. but not the other. You need to test the entire current path also. The pressure of the coiled contact on the switch arm may not be consistent
Attachments
test .jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
ryanf1023

Post by ryanf1023 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:58 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies.

When I connect both probes together, I do usually get the 0.0ohm reading, however, a little bit of readjusting and often the 0.3ohm reading will come up. I don't know the exact age of the meter. I would guess in the 15-20 year range.

I did test on the base instead of the screw as well, and nothing really changed.

If the 1.0 ohm is material, I wonder if there will be excessive heat while driving, especially from the high voltage the magneto produces.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:10 pm

ryanf1023 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:58 pm
Thank you everyone for the replies.

When I connect both probes together, I do usually get the 0.0ohm reading, however, a little bit of readjusting and often the 0.3ohm reading will come up. I don't know the exact age of the meter. I would guess in the 15-20 year range.

I did test on the base instead of the screw as well, and nothing really changed.

If the 1.0 ohm is material, I wonder if there will be excessive heat while driving, especially from the high voltage the magneto produces.
If you got 1 ohm as shown in the photo from the Mag side I would expect that you would get 1 ohm from the Bat position as well. If not then the contact to the switch arm should be checked.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
ryanf1023

Post by ryanf1023 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:50 pm

I did as you suggested Frank, and yes. I got 1.3ohm for the mag and 1.2ohm for the battery. I think the difference of 0.1ohm is that the contact on the bat is slightly tighter than the mag one, perhaps due to more mag driving in its lifetime than bat. If this is normal I’m happy to proceed with the wiring.

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:08 pm

Hi,
You may be going about this the wrong way. Corrosion is best tested under load. So, you really need to do a voltage drop test while the proper current is passing though a device. For instance, measuring electricity between a battery post and the clamp will change once the starter is moving or even headlights. You might get .01 ohms for a VOM but an oxidized cable under load will give a different value. Just research voltage drop test.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic