Jack Rabbit scuffing

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Jack Rabbit scuffing

Post by Mopar_man » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:05 pm

So I'm installing a JackRabbit Clutch in my 26. The directions say to scuff up the large metal disks with sandpaper so they are not smooth (I bought new large disks). My question is how much should I scuff them? Also How far from the top should I stack them? The directions say start with a large one then a Jack Rabbit one and alternate until you have a large steel one on top. Is there supposed to be a measurement from the top large disk to the top of where the bolts hold on the clutch plate?

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Re: Jack Rabbit scuffing

Post by Alan Long » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Robert,
Used outer / metal plates need to be “deglazed” to give the best operation once reinstalled. Just give them a light
rub on both sides till the shiny glazing is gone. I rub mine across the plate both sides (but not in a circular motion)
It’s a similar process that you do on Brake Drums and Cylinder Bores to prevent grabbing

Generally, new plates are supplied ready to go and don’t need roughing up but sometimes I do give them a light rub.
Just the way I do it!
Alan in Western Australia

Topic author
Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:09 pm

I'll give them a little rub. The new ones I have are real smooth and seem to have a coating on them. Thanks!!

Topic author
Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:21 am

Anyone have an answer for the other question?

"Also How far from the top should I stack them? The directions say start with a large one then a Jack Rabbit one and alternate until you have a large steel one on top. Is there supposed to be a measurement from the top large disk to the top of where the bolts hold on the clutch plate?"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic