Oil lamp burner disassembly

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Oil lamp burner disassembly

Post by It's Bill » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:58 am

How do you remove the burner assembly from the font of an oil burning sidelight? Mine are Stuck! Stuck! Do they unscrew? I have squirted some PA Blaster up into the area where threads might be, and await your replies. Cheers, Bill

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Oil lamp burner disassembly

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:09 am

Not sure about pre 1915, but 1915 up the burner would just slide in. When the font was attached to the lamp, there were spring fingers in the base of the lamp body that held it tight. if that is the style you are working with, there is a small cup inside the rim attached to the font, the burner sits inside that. Between old kerosene and rust they can be tight. I would try soaking at least the top half of the font in some lacquer thinner. If you are trying to save the paint just keep at it with PB or Kroll and keep working at it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
It's Bill

Post by It's Bill » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:46 pm

Thanks Mark! I should have said this is a brass car -1911- so I don't have paint to worry about. The burner appears to be thin brass that is plated. Nickle maybe? There are three places staked into the burner assembly that are equally spaced around the collar that fits onto the neck of the font. It looks like they engage the neck of the font somehow, maybe by screwing into the neck or maybe by twist to unlock and pull then apart. This is thin brass, and so I want to have a good idea of what I am doing before I do it.

These are E&J lights. Any guys have experience with these things?

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:25 pm

The E&J burners have a 2-pin bayonet style mounting. They are tapered and just push in and twist.
EnJburnr.jpg
You can see this one is rusty so that may be what is holding it. By twisting it counterclockwise it should come out. Brown, Corcoran and many others have a threaded end.
Rich
When did I do that?

Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Post by Tbird » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:12 pm

If you’re removing the cover as well, they are soldered on the underside so make sure you heat it up to loosen the solder.

Topic author
It's Bill

Post by It's Bill » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:27 am

Got them off! How? Soaked them in PB Blaster overnight - still stuck. Then heated the font top where the two assemblies join together until oil smoke filled the air, then grabbed the burner and font and twisted counter clockwise. They both released! If you do this, wear gloves! My guess is decades old lamp oil had glued things together.

Many thanks to all, esp. Rich Eagle for the photo of the connection detail. Now to placate the wife for stinking up the house! Cheers, Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic