1926 Coupe dash screws

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

1926 Coupe dash screws

Post by varmint » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:30 am

Looked in the forum and in some books but nothing to say what screws go where in the dash.
The vendors sell different interior screw sets but I'm not seeing (6) matching screws of the outside dash edge.
dash screws 26 coupe
dash screws 26 coupe
I am guessing that all screws are slot drive but what I don't know is...
1) what size screw
2) machine or metal thread
3) flat countersunk, oval, or round head
I hope to use all stainless even if I have to buy in quantity.
Any help is appreciated.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: 1926 Coupe dash screws

Post by Mopar_man » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am

I just had the same question for a 26 touring. I bet this will help.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18383&p=139755#p139755

For the accessories like the dash light you can use anything as long as it's slotted and a square nut on the back. If you want to be original.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:10 pm

When I originally restored my 1926 coupe in 1972, I ordered the nickel plated screw set for the dash panel and interior that came in a box. All of the visible screws were slotted oval headed (slightly rounded heads) machine screws with square nuts and none of the machine screws were flat headed. Some of the screws came in labeled bags, but if there was any confusion, it was basically up to the buyer to determine what screw went where, based upon how they fit in the hole (diameter of the hole and whether the hole was threaded or not), the length of the screw, how the oval head looks in the hole in that the head should fit down into the hole comfortably (and not extend above the plane of the hole) and that the angle of the screw countersink matches the angle of the hole. Some of the holes the screws goes into are threaded so, of course, screws with threads that match the threaded holes go in the threaded holes and do not need a nut. Nuts are used only on the screws that fit into unthreaded holes. If you run out of screws, or lose some, go to an old fashioned hardware store that has a good selection of plated oval headed machine screws (stainless steel looks a lot like nickel plated) in metal boxes running down both sides of an aisle and get what you need, or buy another screw kit to get more screws to finish the job. It is best to lay out the dash panel near the car and screw any screws into the threaded holes on the car where the dash attaches to the car and of the screws that are left over, insert them into remaining holes corresponding with the unthreaded holes on the car where the dash attaches to. If after you get the dash installed, the screw heads don’t appear proportional, or are too big or too small for the hole, there is nothing wrong with changing them around until you are satisfied with their appearance. After all, it’s your car and, as long as you are happy with the appearance, your opinion is the only one that matters. Jim Patrick
Last edited by jiminbartow on Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:07 pm

Just about all of those 1926 Model T Dash and Door screws were used on the 1928 Model A and are available form several Model A parts suppliers.

The 1926 gas shutoff handle was used on the early Model As and only requires the top bend over travel limiter tab to be cut off for use on a 1926 Model T.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic