Milling Block Deck and Head

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Milling Block Deck and Head

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:26 pm

On a forum on Facebook, someone questioned how much a block can be decked (milled). I offered my two cents and said that a block deck should be milled as little as necessary to remove pits or square up, and that I have been told by a knowledgeable rebuilder that up to .150 or slightly more can be removed from the head, but to do so to try to increase compression, produces minimum results. Two people liked my answer, but one said he totally disagreed. What is eveyone's thought here on this subject?

J and M Machine
First Name: John
Last Name: Gulbankian

Re: Milling Block Deck and Head

Post by J and M Machine » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:43 am

You're right regarding surfacing the block to make it flat as you don't have to remove much. Just enough to enable the surface flat.
The cylinder head it doesn't make sense to remove that much better off to get a Z head or change pistons.
Model A guys think they can do the same thing. The heads aren't designed to machine off .150 and you increase the compression to 10-1 doesn't work that way.

You'll never win an argument on the internet as some expert that has never seen an engine will know more than all of us combined.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:05 am

Less is better and also cheaper. The shape of combustion chamber is also very important. 50 years ago i used a Model B head and water pump on a Model A Doodle Bug and it made a difference in power! Bud. :D

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am

J and M Machine wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:43 am
. . . You'll never win an argument on the internet as some expert . . . will know more than all of us combined.
:lol: So true ! So often contradictory opinions seem to prevent posts from actually providing good answers to the questions posed.

As for re-surfacing heads and blocks, my question is whether there's a reliable way to gauge how much material is left ? At this late date, it could be difficult to determine if parts have been re-machined, or how many times it may have been done.
"Get a horse !"

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 am

I've had .050"+ off a high cyl. head, and on the block it went on, took .050" off it too. The block was low mileage, so by doing that, was able to have the valve seat in the block reamed, so new ss valves were fitted to the refreshed and newly cut iron seats. Worked, but found by adding a 'Z' head, performance was really made!

Don't know how to measure a block to know it hasn't been shaved. But the high head height dimension of a stock, un-shaved head, is 2 11/16" or approx. 2.680" from the head surface to the top of a cyl. bolt hole boss.

As noted, shaving a high head is less a performer than shaving a low head. But in this day of "Z' and 'Prus' alum high compression heads with special chamber shape and squish, why do it? :P
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:30 am

My comment on that FB question: Remember that after 100+ years water passages may be much larger than they were when the engine was new.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 am

The Facebook poster who didn't agree with my answer, referred me to the Montana 500 website regarding engine modifications. My answer to him, was that I thought the original question was involving an engine in a Model T that wasn't going to be raced or that the engine builder wasn't seeking ultimate performance. I, further stated, that if performance was the objective, much more can be done to a T engine other than decking the block or milling a head

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 pm

ModelTWoods wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 am
The Facebook poster who didn't agree with my answer, referred me to the Montana 500 website regarding engine modifications. My answer to him, was that I thought the original question was involving an engine in a Model T that wasn't going to be raced or that the engine builder wasn't seeking ultimate performance. I, further stated, that if performance was the objective, much more can be done to a T engine other than decking the block or milling a head
I could wrong in my knowledge of Montana 500 rules, but I would guess that if a Z head were allowed on the MT500, nobody would bother decking the block or head for the want of compression.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:49 pm

Before milling the block deck, determine first, whether or not you need new valve seats. If you do need them, mill the deck after the new seats have been installed.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 pm

I have had Model T A and B heads trued up in the past and usually a good machinist knows best! :D Bud.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:35 am

In an effort to mill off as little material as possible from the head and block, would it be okay to leave minor imperfections, as long as they could be sealed with Permatex Copper Spray gasket? Jim Patrick

8173C8A6-3727-40EE-92CD-BCC64A5F8DA3.jpeg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:50 am

Jim, your suggestion is quite reasonable, unless the imperfections are in the lip on the outboard side of the two large water galleries at each end of the block. These need to be spot on, just as they do on the cylinder head.

Allan from down under.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:57 pm

jiminbartow wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:35 am
In an effort to mill off as little material as possible from the head and block, would it be okay to leave minor imperfections, as long as they could be sealed with Permatex Copper Spray gasket? Jim Patrick

8173C8A6-3727-40EE-92CD-BCC64A5F8DA3.jpeg
With an engine out of the car and being resurfaced anyway, an imperfection that still requires "sealing" by any other means than the head gasket, needs to be addressed, (i.e. removed). Besides, if you're decking a block or head, and you have a "minor imperfection", chances are, taking another .005" off will get rid of it and be no big deal. Copper coating is no replacement for a good head gasket and two good seal faces. Not to say that Copper Coat isn't worth using however. I always use it.

J and M Machine
First Name: John
Last Name: Gulbankian

Post by J and M Machine » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Rich Bingham wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am
J and M Machine wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:43 am
. . . You'll never win an argument on the internet as some expert . . . will know more than all of us combined.
:lol: So true ! So often contradictory opinions seem to prevent posts from actually providing good answers to the questions posed.

As for re-surfacing heads and blocks, my question is whether there's a reliable way to gauge how much material is left ? At this late date, it could be difficult to determine if parts have been re-machined, or how many times it may have been done.
Only way to know for sure how much has been machined off the block is to know exact block spec from Ford or measure a known unmolested one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic