OT - Cross Country In a Model A

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NSieber
First Name: Nickolas
Last Name: Sieber
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Coupe

OT - Cross Country In a Model A

Post by NSieber » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:36 pm

Howdy, everyone!

At some point in every collector's career, I believe the thought of undertaking a lengthy tour is bound to cross their mind. Whether this is touring their given state or the entire country, it's an itch that can seldom be ignored!

This past June, I was given the opportunity to purchase my neighbors 1930 Model A Town Sedan, after his wife flagged me down while I was out enjoying a ride in the Model T. He owned the car for 30 years, and in that time put less than 100 miles on it - and didn't even drive it within the last 10 years. Naturally, being a car enthusiast, as soon as I saw the car, the gears in my head started turning. I brought the car home about a month later, and within a week had her back on the road! After I got her running, I had the privilege of taking the previous owner and his wife for a ride in the car. We had a fantastic ride and afterward, he shared his goal of driving the car cross country, and the disappointment that he was never able to complete the trip. Geez! What can a guy do after hearing this? Obviously, I felt the overwhelming desire to complete this trip on his behalf! That being said, this coming July and August, my friend Jon and myself are planning a 4-5 week cross country tour from Lancaster County, PA to Los Angeles, CA with the Model A!

At 21 years old (and Jon at 17), I am very new to the antique car world and can only begin to imagine what will lay in store for us during this trip! I began mapping out a route and planning supplies that we need, but I am open to any and all insight that you guys might have! Our current route includes stopping at the Ford Museum in Dearborn (where we received special clearance to take the car into the estate!), The Gilmore Car Museum and the MTFCA headquarters (where we are currently arranging a little gathering with local members to help celebrate the trip!!!) The states we are hitting include PA, OH, MI, IN, MO, KS, OK, CO, WY, NV, and CA.

This is where you guys come in...

What recommendations do you have for possible stops along the way?

What should be done to help prepare the car for the trip?

Are there any special precautions we should take?

Are there certain things to avoid when completing a trip like this?

Will the car need extra care because of the nearly 5000 miles that will be racked up during the trip?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you! -Nick

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: OT - Cross Country In a Model A

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:32 am

The states we are hitting include PA, OH, MI, IN, MO, KS, OK, CO, WY, NV, and CA.

Don't forget IL and UT. :D

There are so many great places to see that four or five weeks won't be enough for all of them. Here are a few: Springfield IL, Lincoln home & old state capitol, Lincoln's New Salem Village State Park; Pawhuska OK, Tall Grass Prairie Preserve; Antonito CO, Cumbres & Toltec Railroad; Cody WY, Buffalo Bill Museum (a national treasure); Promontory Point UT, Golden Spike Historical Site; CA, Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NP.

All the states I mentioned have other places to see, and so do the ones I didn't include.

As you are going to see the country, not get from point A to point B as fast as possible, avoid the interstates. There are a few places where there's no other way, but in most places there are other roads and highways and they are generally more interesting.

You will get lots of suggestions on what to take. Mine is spare gas. My running board cans have saved me an unplanned long walk more than once.

IMG_4148 copy.JPG
Tall Grass

IMG_4021 copy.JPG
Lincoln Tomb, Springfield

IMG_6097_2.JPG
Cumbres & Toltec
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

ryanf1023
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Fenrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster Project

Post by ryanf1023 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 am

Although not quite cross country, I took my Model A on an 800km trip a year and a half ago, getting some good elevation in Jasper.

I’d say what helped me the most was having quite a few hours behind the wheel of an A already (three full driving seasons). It sounds like you and I are opposites; I’ve driven an A for soon to be my fifth year now compared to only a handful of T drives. With that, I’ve had a few panic stops, stalled on a hill that was too steep, learned muscle memory for situations when you need them, and unfortunately, I have a 70km/h accident under my belt. It is these situations though that give you comfort for long trips.

I’m not sure how many hours you’ve had with an A, and although probably easier than a T, they do have their own limitations that you should be aware of. And until you get stuck in traffic or drive it when it’s even moderately warm out, I would watch the rad like a hawk. Do you have a temperature gauge or moto meter for the A?

Like Steve has said, expect the unexpected. When I was at a high altitude, the air level made the car run incredibly lean, which used up fuel about twice as quick. I had to turn back on the climb and refuel much sooner than expected, simply due to the elevation. There are certain things like that where you probably won’t be able to plan ahead for until you experience it first hand. That’s where problem solving comes in, which is just how the travelers would have done it back in the day.

That long distance trip (with other car club members) was quite memorable for a young enthusiast (22 at the time). Descending the mountain behind a logging truck in the rain with the top down was one of the most exhilarating times I’ve had. Perfect for a few beers when you’re safely at rest for the night.

And take lots of photos.
Attachments
A9692893-9B8F-4B9E-806F-F3F03A9320FB.jpeg
C3E17448-ADB4-48AD-AAFF-DA6DEF57AB8B.jpeg
7E7CAF70-09C4-465A-8561-65E4C31D911C.jpeg
34A3841D-5DBB-4EAD-8683-243DEE706137.jpeg

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 am

One has died and i haven't seen the other in a couple of years but i did know two couples that drove their A's to Alaska and back!! The fellow that died was the last Model A in the group going over the Mackinaw Bridge when the woman in her YUGO roared up and went off the bridge!! This damn Covid is wrecking what little social life i have left!! Bud. :D

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 am

From that list of States it looks like it is Pa to Ca via the old Lincoln Hwy. Going back from Los Angles Ca you have to take old Hwy Route 66 to Illinois to say, you did that once, years from now.

Topic author
NSieber

Post by NSieber » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:32 am

Wow, that was a nice surprise to see several responses since posting last night and checking the post after getting up this morning!

Steve: Ahaha! Thanks, for the reminder about IL and UT! As impressive as the Model A is, I don't think it can fly over those states, so I'll be sure to remember them in the list! :D When we finally make it out west, hitting those national parks is most certainly on the list! There are so many in the area, I couldn't decide which ones would be best to stop at and explore! I tried to plan the trip in such a way, that at each stop, we have at least two days without any major driving. That way we can explore the area! For CO, I believe I had planned for 3 days without any driving. The railroad and Lincoln's tomb also look like great places to stop! Springfield is only about 50 miles off the route I was planning, so that should be easy enough to add in! The railroad is about 300 miles off though... but we will see what the trip brings! Spare gas is also a great suggestion! :D I'll be sure to bring along some extra cans!

Ryan: I guess we are a little backwards when it comes to familiarity with driving! I have almost 5 years behind the wheel of my Model T now, and less than 1 with the Model A! I did put almost 1500 miles on the Model A this past summer though, so I'm starting to become familiar with some of the idiosyncrasies... but I've still got a lot to learn. I do have a motometer on the Model A and dealt with overheating issues over summer, but after flushing the system out, I was holding steady even on 90°F+ days. I would have never even thought about the issue with the elevation!! Thank you for the tip! I will be sure to keep that in mind when we make it out west!

Bud: Sheeesh! To Alaska and back! Now that's quite the haul :D Maybe someday I can plan that trip, but I think I'll get my feet wet with this 'short' version first :D

Kevin: You hit the nail on the head! Although we won't be following it entirely, Jon and I will become very familiar with route 30 by the time we are finished!! :lol:

I am in the process of doing some engine work to help prepare the car for the trip. I pulled the pan off the other day and found some nice sized pieces of babbitt, so I am currently in the process of hunting down where they came from - and trying to find someone local who does babbitt work... It's the original engine in the car with 73,000 miles, so I am hoping that I won't need an entire rebuild before leaving and that the babbitt I found is for the connecting rods (a little bit of an easier fix than the mains...)

-Nick

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:44 am

Wow Bud, that Yugo happened a long time ago. Your not that old are you?😁

Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am

Although it appears that your proposed route will take you through the southern part of Illinois, you should detour up north in the state a bit and visit Craig Beek's all brass Model T museum in Moline. I haven't been there in about two years, but I believe he has about 20-25 show-winning brass T's in his private museum. Craig is a wealth of Model T information and is a most congenial host. You need to arrange ahead of time for Craig to open up for you. It's not a museum open to the public. Private showings only. He loves showing his cars and talking Model T's, so plan on spending 1/2 day there.
Beginning in 1974 when I was 25, I began the first of at least 15 Arizona-to-Iowa cross-country trips in a Model A, always in an "open" one. I even took my 1928 Roadster to New York City in 1974 and personally loaded it on a boat going to Germany, where I spent the next year with the "A". (It's still there, as far as i know.)
Check the various Model A websites for recommendations of what to take along with you on the trip. If possible, get a list of Model A clubs and/or national club members in case you need help along the way. Be forewarned: Driving cross-country will cause parts to fail that 1000 trips to the ice cream store and back in town would never reveal. The stresses of highway speeds for long periods of time over long distances will stress some parts to the failure mode. The parts I had the most trouble with over the years included the distributor (points and condenser, original pop-out ignition switch), generator (use an a alternator instead) and the water pump (install a double sealed dual-bearing "leakless" pump and carry at least one or two extra pumps. If your pump has a four-blade fan, get rid of it post haste! They are dangerous.) All three of these components were poorly designed and WILL cause you trouble over the long haul, even if you start out with them "rebuilt".
I HIGHLY suggest you install a Snyder' s 6:1 cylinder head. For years I struggled on these long trips in mountainous and hilly areas with the original 4.2:1 factory head. You need the extra oomph that the 6:1 head will give you to keep up in traffic and climb steep hills. This head will NOT damage your Babbitt bearings! That's an old wives' tale. With the standard 4.2:1 cylinder head in today's traffic and on modern roads, you will be a hinderance to other drivers and yourself. Installing a 6:1 head is the best thing you can do to at least give you a fighting chance at completing the trip with the least amount of hassles.
Marshall

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:10 am

Just thought of something else you may not know if you've never been out west. Bring some warm clothes. On much of your route you won't need them. But in parts of the Mountain West nights can be chilly, and there are even some chilly or cold days in the middle of summer. I was once driving in Yellowstone's Beartooth Range on a rainy August day when the light rain changed to snow.

If you return east by way of old 66 you will find that in California, Arizona, and Missouri there are long stretches of the old road that are practically unchanged from the days when it was the main highway from Chicago to Santa Monica. If you take that route the Grand Canyon is a must. A little more of a detour will take you to Zion, Bryce Canyon ("a hell of a lace to lose a cow"), the dinosaur tracks, Monument Valley, and other wonderful places.

the-searchers.jpg.png
John Ford's classic The Searchers was filmed in Monument Valley.

IMG_3445 copy.JPG
Old Route 66 in Missouri.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

kmatt2
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar

Post by kmatt2 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:10 pm

A word about traveling in a Model A with the stock distributor, carry extra new points and condenser. The stock condenser gets a lot of heat and is known to fail at the worse times, ask me how I know. There is a after market heat shield that helps some.
Regarding the stock A motor with a lot of miles on it and some babbit in the pan. The center main in the block is prone to breaking down due to crankshaft wip over time.
It is better to have new babbit now thain no babbit out on the road later. Enjoy your planning phase of your trip.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Highway 2 runs east to west and it's a very good road with little traffic. Hi Dallas, just when i thought of Emma Warehouse the other day!! Bud. :D

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:49 pm

Bud, Hwy 2 is a bit north of the Lincoln hwy. It is even north of the Yellowstone Trail. It would be a great trip in a T or an A . Not much traffic either. I took Hwy 30 from Chicago Heights to a bit west of Valpo in my T and had a great time riding it. Dave Coleman drove Nathan Edward's Speedster coast to coast on the Lincoln Highway with an author. Might be a good book for this young man to read before he goes.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:02 pm

US 2 is the northernmost federal highway running east-west. The eastern section is from Holton ME to Burlington VT. The western part is from Mackinac Bridge to Snohomish. US highways are numbered north to south (even) and east to west (odd). Interstates are the opposite, numbered south to north (even) and west to east (odd).
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:50 pm

Back in the 60's and 70's, we had Model A's for our daily drivers and we made two trips from San Diego to San Francisco and one time a side tour to Yosemite. We also visited family and friends in the Los Angeles area about once a month. Model A's will travel 55 mph all day without a problem and can even get up to 70 for short distances such as when passing. The weakest point in the A is the babbit bearings. Going too fast for a long time is hard on those bearings. So be sure yours are in good condition before you leave.
We have a member in the T club, Dean Yoder who has been known to drive his T cross country many times. He pulls a small trailer with a spare engine and some other parts, Just in case. Just remember the Ford dealers do not usually work on cars as old as the A. So I would suggest you join the Model A club if you have not yet done so, and take along a national roster so you can contact members in the areas where you travel. It will be good to see people with common interest and also to get some help if it is required.
Norm

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Nickolas, Good for you! I started planning a trip like that at your age and finally did it at age 53, it was a 6,000 mile trip from Oregon to the Centennial Celebration in Indiana in 2008 in a model T. The best advise that I can give you is to plan well but not a time line so that if an opportunity comes up you can take advantage of it. Use maps, don't take a GPS. Stop and talk to people if you have a question, if they tell you of a special place and you have time go there, people will tell a person with an old car about their special place that they won't tell their best friend. Make sure to pack your sense of adventure. East of the Rockies there is very little public land so if you are going to camp on the way you need to look for campgrounds, on the west side there is lots of places the you can pull of on a side road and make camp so do your homework and have a wonderful trip, be sure to keep us posted and if you have question just ask.
DSC_0029.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:24 pm

Take your time and have fun! Besides all the other good advice about car condition, get to know the car and (this is a big one) if it still has the original 2 blade fan, get rid if it and get the new one they sell.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:33 pm

Keep as many model a owners as well as the members of this forum updated on your where abouts and on any issues during your trip. Many of the model t folks on this forum know model A's and are willing to help any way they can.
Make sure clutch, brakes, wiring etc are in good condition as well as the babbit, rings, and valves in the engine.
Good luck. Art Mirtes

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm

Keep as many model a owners as well as the members of this forum updated on your where abouts and on any issues during your trip. Many of the model t folks on this forum know model A's and are willing to help any way they can.
Make sure clutch, brakes, wiring etc are in good condition as well as the babbit, rings, and valves in the engine.
Good luck. Art Mirtes

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:12 pm

Some years ago there was a fellow who made a coast to coast trip each year in a diffent vintage auto. Then he would write a journal type article for one of the auto magazines.

His Model A trip was done in the mid 1990's as I recall. The trip was not without breakdowns here and there, but (and this was before cellphones) some local person or persons would come to his rescue with parts, tools, and know how. His summary at the end of the journal was that the Model A Ford was more likely to get you coast to coast than any other vintage car. His reasoning was that, not only were there plenty of hobbyists in every little burg across America, but also that even non enthusiasts in general had good memories of Model A's and continued to look favorably upon people who drove them. In other words, if you are driving a Model A you are automatically a good guy and deserving of help.

In my own case, I have had just one breakdown experience with my A, and four different people stopped to help me. My breakdown was due to a cracked oil line on an aftermarket oil filter system. When I stopped to drop off a package at the local UPS, there was a trail of oil coming across the parking lot and leading right up to my car. My first thought was that the guy who parked there ahead of me was in big trouble. Then I looked at the right running board and it was level full of engine oil.

Within minutes a fellow pulled into the lot to look at my car. I was still standing by the open hood, wondering what I was going to do next. My newfound friend also had restored a Model A, and he volunteered to go home and take parts off his own car to convert me back to stock so I could get home. As he drove off, another samaritan drove up, commiserated for a moment and then asked how much oil I'd lost. We checked and no oil showed on the dipstick. That meant I would be down two or more quarts. He hopped back into his car to go buy me several quarts of oil.

The third guy stopped as we were waiting for #1 to return. We told him that we were covered. #3 then told us that the UPS maintenance mechanic around back was a Model A guy. He drove around back and brought the UPS mechanic out. #4 took my broken line back to his shop and made up a new oil line and brought back a huge supply of rags to sop up the oil on the running board. About that time #1 arrived with parts and tools.

At that point I had an embarrassment of riches. Do I put #1's parts on my car to get home, or do I use #4's new line. We concluded that it would be easier to just put the new line on since that would save returning the borrowed side cover. In a few minutes I drove home with a new oil line and three fresh quarts of oil. And a debt of gratitude to four new friends.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:15 pm

Nickolas - Lots of good advice on this thread you started and I would add just a bit more. Norm Kling mentioned having a club roster along with you, and Norm and others have mentioned that many folks from both Model T and Model A clubs would be willing to help if needed. In that vain, I would add just a bit more advice for what it's worth:

First, I'd do a lot of research by reading about others that have made such long distance trips as you are planning. One in particular is Tim Moore who fairly recently drove a Model T from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and then wrote a book about it (and also posted a lot about the trip on this forum). Sorry, I can't remember the name of the book, but someone on this forum will remember.

To add a bit to what Norm suggested about having the club roster along with you, I'd do that, and maybe even go a step farther:

Research thoroughly, to the point where you can advise via this forum as to your main route and the general timeframe for the trip, and ask (on this forum) how many and who along (or near) that route would be willing and hopefully available to help if called upon in the event of a breakdown in their particular area. That way, you can note in the club roster, or even make a separate list, of who to contact if necessary. If for some reason the person contacted cannot respond with help, he'd at least be able to tell you who, and how to contact other club members in the area to respond. If nothing else, this would give you peace-of-mind, knowing that in the event of a breakdown, you'd have someplace to start in looking for help. FWIW,....harold

Topic author
NSieber

Post by NSieber » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:19 am

Thanks for all of the tips and tricks for helping me plan for this trip! I hope that my current endeavor of putting new babbitt in the engine will help save me headaches along the drive and prevent (fingers crossed) and major breakdowns!

Kevin: I do have the standard distributor on the car in addition to one of the heater manifolds. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to switch the manifold out for the standard one? And I do carry a set of points and a condenser with me everywhere I go, but for the trip, I'll be sure to pack seconds or even thirds!

Steve: Thanks for the tip of bringing warm clothes! If all goes to plan, week three of the trip should be in the mountains of Colorado and Utah in mid-August. I don't know how cold the temperatures will be then, but I will be sure to bring some warmer clothing!

Marshall: It's good to hear from someone who has several long trips behind them! I already have an alternator and leakless water pump installed on the car, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to pack an extra along with just in case! Also, my pop out switch was replaced by the previous owner with a standard turn-key ignition switch, so I don't think I will have any issues with that! I've heard some rumors about the high compression heads causing additional wear, but it sounds like you've never had an issue with it. I will have to check out Snyder's website and take a look at it. Have you noticed a big difference using the high compression head?

Art and Harold: A local Model A collector in my area is helping me get a list of contact information together of people in the states I am driving through that have Model A's. I will most certainly bring it along and see who is nearby my route just in case I experience any breakdowns and need a hand!

The dates for the trip are still up in the air, as is the exact route, but as of now, we are planning mid-July to mid/late August. Hopefully, we can get this all ironed out within the next month or two so I can have a better idea of what side stops to make!

Sean Butler
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Butler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31557

Post by Sean Butler » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:32 am

Hey Steve - Is that you riding lead or Harry Carey Jr.? :D
Sean Butler
Huntington Beach, CA

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:09 am

I was at home in California, so maybe it's Harry. It can't be Ward Bond. Wrong hat.:)
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Sean Butler
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Butler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31557

Post by Sean Butler » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 pm

That movie is my all time favorite. A T-ride through Monument Valley would be spectacular.
Attachments
11scott.xlarge1.jpg
11scott.xlarge1.jpg (24.54 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
Sean Butler
Huntington Beach, CA

kmatt2

Post by kmatt2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:14 pm

Nickolas, Your heater manifold should be OK. The cover for it directs air over the manifold, that hot air is what comes into the car when the heater door is open, and goes out by firewall when closed, you may want some hot air if it gets to cold. With the stock exhaust manifold the heat can open the connection between the condenser and its mounting tab to the distributor.
Join the national Model A club's and a local club if you can. There are many members that can help you with some things to check. Here is one that I never think of because I had a 1928-29 car. On the 1930-31 cars with the stock brake light switch, due to the design, the stop light can stick in the on position if the return spring in the switch is weak. When you park the car take a quick look to make sure the lights are off sometimes the head lite switch can be acidently turned on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic