wheel rim plated

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Art Ebeling
First Name: Art
Last Name: Ebeling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 14 runabout
MTFCA Number: 50718

wheel rim plated

Post by Art Ebeling » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 am

Can someone recommend where to get rims galvanized in the midwest. I called two plating services and found that they have a 500.00 minimum. Does anyone sell re-plated rims or short of that what paint would look correct? Art

Billy Vrana
First Name: Billy
Last Name: Vrana
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '25 homemade pickup, Fond Du Lac conversion tractor
MTFCA Number: 49514
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: wheel rim plated

Post by Billy Vrana » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:57 am

Look up Oshkosh Plating, I had these done in 2018, pretty sure it was $160 or so, and they were done in a week. I sandblasted them with a fine sand and the turned out great
20180411_174037.jpg
20180411_173947.jpg

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:48 am

[image][/image]Sherwin Williams has a very durable silver reflective roof paint called Silver Brite that, to me looks much more silver than galvanized, which, in a short time, becomes a dull grey. Silver Brite is very reflective and is very much like the original Model T plating, which I once read was cadmium plating and not galvanized and Silver Brite is very tough, will not come off or dull. Jim Patrick
Attachments
8E292FD6-7F73-4A05-A346-BC96ABBF55B3.jpeg
8E292FD6-7F73-4A05-A346-BC96ABBF55B3.jpeg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 2904 times

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:22 am

...I once read was cadmium plating and not galvanized...

What you read was bogus, Jim. Cad plating was first used commercially in the thirties. Model T rims were galvanized.

IMG_3820 copy 2.JPG
In 2012 I had seven rims hot dip galvanized at the Valmont galvanizing plant in Claremore, near Tulsa, for the minimum charge at that time of about $235. If I'd had more rims I could have had up to sixty of them done for the same minimum. Not too long ago Ignacio got a bunch of guys to pool their rims and have a lot done in a batch for a lower cost per rim. Maybe he will comment here about how that worked out.

There are several Valmont plants in the Midwest. You can Google them.

IMG_5431 copy.JPG
Yes, galvanizing does lose its fresh brilliant luster over time. This is last August, eight years after plating. I think it still looks pretty good.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:49 am

Thank you Steve. Sorry for my incorrect information. It is always good to correct bad information immediately for the benefit of all. Jim Patrick

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 pm

A couple of years ago I looked at the Ford rim drawings at the Benson Ford Research Center specificity to see the plating notes. Ford drawings included Ford rims, Goodyear rims, and the other vendor made rims. Some specified galvanize, some specified zinc plated. None specified cadmium plated. Less Henrys book erroneously calls out cadmium plating for 21" rims, but that is not what is documented in the Ford drawings.

So, if hot dip galvanize is not practical consider your options for zinc electro plating.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:18 pm

Clear zinc plating looks very nice and most any plating shop can do it. Sandblast the rims 1st for a uniform appearance. Plating is not subject to the large lot charges for galvanizing.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Galvanized = zinc plated. Different terms for the same thing. Galvanizing/plating is done by two methods — hot dip and electroplating. I don't know which method was used originally on rims. At auctions I buy old galvanized nails by the can because they were hot dipped. The galvanized nails currently sold in hardware stores are thinly electroplated and soon rust. Maybe the shops that electroplate rims do a better job. I'm quite satisfied with my hot dipped rims.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 pm

For anyone with a small budget, such as a young high schooler who can’t afford the expense of plating, painting the split rims with “Silver Brite” is an excellent alternate solution. So satisfied am I with “Silver Brite” that, even though I have the means to afford plating, painting with Silver Brite would be my first choice, instead of an alternate solution to galvanizing or plating of any kind. Also, If the rims are not too pitted, try to avoid blasting so as to retain a smooth metal finish. Painting or plating over a rough, sandblasted finish will give you a rough finished result, instead of a smooth shiny result. Use Muriatic acid, instead, to remove the rust and after all the rust is gone (down to the bottom of the pits, thoroughly neutralize with a solution of baking soda mixed in water and apply to the rim until it stops bubbling, especially around the lugs. Quick dry with a heat gun to prevent flash rusting and when cool, prime with red oxide primer, then overcoat with Silver Brite. Jim Patrick

PS. If you do use Silver Brite it should be thoroughly stirred, not shaken. The Sherwin Williams salesman told me that shaking the can causes friction that can cause pressure to build up and the lid to blow off (what a mess that would make!). Also, when you are using it, constantly stir it because it is full of silver pigment that must remain suspended. When painting it on, it is so full of pigment that the painted surface appears to be uneven, but as the painted surface settles out, the brush strokes disappear, the surface becomes very smooth and uniform and shiny silver. Since it is for metal roofs, it is very durable and weatherproof and will provide protection and prevent rust. Also easy to touch up in case of a scuff. After 20 years, my rims still look great.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:28 pm

You could also Powder Coat them silver. A friend recently informed me that Eastwood has a silver paint that is pretty durable and looks good so. . . . if ya can't locate the Sherwin Williams product, you can buy from Eastwood on line.
My experience with hot dip galvanizing is that it is much heavier and less uniform than the electrodeposited clear zinc. Hot dip is exactly that- the part is dipped into a bath of molten zinc. The rims in the above pictures do look very uniform, so I would imagine that the final result is dependent on the process and operator doing it.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:51 pm

Billy's rims look to be electro plated zinc, which I believe is the process originally used by Ford. Hot dip galvanising will last longer, but does leave a little rougher finish, and perhaps a few 'dribbles' which may need dressing own before tyres are fitted. Galvanising is used to describe both processes by some, but they are hardly equal. Hot dipping in molten zinc is a longer lasting finish. Electro plating gives a smoother, more even finish, at a more competitive price for smaller lots.
I have had occasion to freshen up electro plated zinc rims, and a brush on aluminised enamel called Silva frost does the job nicely. It does need constant stirring during application, looks duller at the time of application, but dries to a nice even finish.
The Silva frost is also used on copper head gaskets. One coat is allowed to tack dry, a second brushed on, and the heas fitted. The enamel makes an excellent sealant, much like Coppercoat I presume.

Allan from down under.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:08 pm

I have used a Rust-oleum product called Galva-oleum spray . It's a cold galvanize spray paint and it looks very close to factory galvanize and is available at the big box stores. Like all painting the prep work is the most important. If you don't clean and prep your rims you won't get a good finish.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:45 pm

FYI You can clear coat your fresh plated rims, yes I said plated to keep them looking new. Zinc is used as a sacrifice coating, it will oxide. I have some rims I had plated about 10 + years ago clear coated with just spray can clear coat that look as good now as they did new.
I would get some rims plated now but that guy is out of business, thanks EPA. Dan

NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Post by NU2theT » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:07 pm

a great topic and on my spring to-do list. the pictured rattle can premium 7007 from Crown is what I might use, any input would be great.
Attachments
IMG_0346.JPG

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Cold galv paint is useful, but fragile. The finish scratches and chips. Ideally it is used on metal, then primered then top coated.

That said, I have used cold galv for touching up welding and it has protected the fittings well for several years without being primered or top coated. That is in places off the ground where things don't usually rub or knock against it. As it just doesn't take kindly to things hitting it - such as stones on the road I would not recommend it as a durable option for wheel rims.

A 'good' silver paint on good primer is a better choise if plating/galvanising is not an option for you.

Topic author
Art Ebeling

Post by Art Ebeling » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:42 pm

I called Oskosh plating and the will zinc plate five rims for 75.00. They said not to sandblast them as their cleaning solution wiuld take care of the rust. What are your opinions about that? Thanks for the responses. Art

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 pm

Art, it depends on how good your rims are. I have mine sand blasted as a matter of course. It is a very good way to expose possible faults you may wish to eliminate. Blasting will reveal deep pitting, loose lugs, thin bead edges etc. Look upon it as cheap insurance to wards getting a good set of rims to plate.The rounded rim edges that are seen on the car can be sanded down to smooth out the sand blasted surface.
No doubt the plater's prep will degrease and remove paint, but removing deep rust like that found in some rims is not likely to be neutralised. If it is not, the plating may even take on the rusty flakes, but there will be a void between the edges of the flakes and the rest of the clean rim, and that leaves a path for continuing rust.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:19 pm

I called Oskosh plating and the will zinc plate five rims for 75.00

Hot dip, or electroplate? As Allan said, the former will last longer.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:50 pm

Go hot dip if you can. Back when I was a kid I sent my Hayes rims to be hot dipped, it was cheap (I think they charged all of $10 a piece, maybe less) and they came back prettier than a pyroxylin-dipped Packard... :lol: Funny enough I remember the place I sent them to also did trash cans - hope working on the T parts weren't too much of a downgrade for them.

Darn, I miss that car.

Topic author
Art Ebeling

Post by Art Ebeling » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:57 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:19 pm
I called Oskosh plating and the will zinc plate five rims for 75.00

Hot dip, or electroplate? As Allan said, the former will last longer.
I asked that and it is electroplate. Knowing that I will probably paint them. I had called other galvanizing shops and was given prices of around five to six hundred dollars for five rims which is mostly from a five hundred dollar minimum charge. Art

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:25 pm

Are they in the galvanizing business, or would they have to set up a special tank to do that? Seems WAY high to me... At that cost a 3 gallon pail would be a few hundred bucks... each. :shock: Galvanized garbage can? That's a half grand can at a half a grand a piece...

Did they explain WHY it would be so cost prohibitive?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic