Ultrasonic vs Vibratory Cleaner

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Ultrasonic vs Vibratory Cleaner

Post by schwabd1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:09 pm

Thinking of getting one or the other. Which one do you find most useful? What are both best used for? What media do you use? Since my use would be limited , how do the Harbor Freight units hold up for hobby use? Thanks, Dave

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Re: Ultrasonic vs Vibratory Cleaner

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:10 pm

I use the larger ultra sonic cleaner from harbor frieght to clean carbs with. Get the 2 year warrenty and use it all you want to.The 1 I am useing now in the shop is my second 1 and it has lasted 3 years or more but is coming apart at the seams. But I use it average 4 to 6 times a week. I want a bigger 1. think about the largest item you want to clean and buy what will take it in. There are some good 1's on Ebay of bigger size for around 150 I think.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Post by jagiven » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 pm

I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner (yet).

I have a rock tumbler, with some type of media for de-rusting parts. Both bought from HF. It works quite well, but it takes days and days to work. When the parts come out they are very dusty. I primarily use it for bolts and the like.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:39 am

I have used both. Ultrasonic is great for blind holes and close fitting parts like a clock or pen. A tumbler is great for larger holes and a lot of exposed serfaces like nuts, bolts, ammo shell casings. Both take time and are limited to small things. Most car parts I use either electrolosis or sandblasting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic