Door window channel replacemant kits

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Door window channel replacemant kits

Post by DickC » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Has anyone replaced the window channel (felt) kit that Langs has. I bought a 25 Coupe that had these replaced but whoever did it must have left some pieces out because the window glass and the bottom channel that the glass is in does not slide easily and when lowered the glass moves the felt strip down. The kit that Lang sells includes clips and glue. I don't know if the kit also includes directions so I thought I would ask the forum if someone has installed the kit and can they send whatever pictures they may have to show the installation. Any advise would help as I don't want to order something that doesn't work.

ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23136
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Door window channel replacemant kits

Post by ChrisB » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:46 pm

I replaced the channels on our 27 Tudor. I believe the parts are more of a Model A part than a T part.

One side was really nice and the other side was a bear.

It should not slide down there are hooks and screws that prevent that.

I did discover that the thickness of the glass was smaller on the side that works fine, go figure, you might want to check that out.
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

Justbrett
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Hanus
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 center door
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Justbrett » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:01 am

I’m coming up to the same project on a 21 centerdoor. The problem I have is I do not know the names of the parts I need.

On the wood frame in window channel there was a fabric of some kind, and the steel frame around the glass seems to have had a fabric shell with wool or felt between this outer shell and the steel window frame on the sides, and then the window straps.

I can find the straps, but what in Tarnation do I buy?

TIA
-brett

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:37 am

This is kind of a case where the vendors catalog might not give all the information it needs to AND/OR the glass shop just gives you what you ask for... The new channels are made for original 1/4” thick plate glass. The laminated safety glass you get made at the glass shop is called “quarter inch” by most everybody in the industry but it is not. The modern laminated safety glass is made of 2 sheets of 1/8” glass with a sheet of plastic laminated in between. The glass is effectively thicker by the thickness of the plastic sheet and glue. It doesn’t work with channels made for true 1/4” glass. I say “doesn’t work” because it doesn’t work correctly and to me that is the same thing.

There are some glass shops that can make tempered glass. 1/4” tempered glass will indeed be 1/4” thick and will work well with the easily obtainable run channels that are available.

Tempered glass is not safe for windshields because it provides much less protection from things going thru the windshield.

Topic author
DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:46 am

I am in the process of doing what you are doing. I too have just bought a 1925 coupe that the window felt has been replace. Same problem as you are having. I talked to Langs and the fix that worked for me was a clip that they have. It screws into the channel area under the bottom of the felt and allows the felt to hook into the clip. It also can go into the top of the felt to hold it secure to the window channel. I installed them and lubed the felt with silicone spray. Works very well. Dick C.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 am

I have a late 24 Coupe that has wood framed doors. Some early 25 Coupes may have the wood framed doors before the later steel framed ones.
I my case I used flat head tacks and seated them with a 3/16 punch. They hold the new window channel secure with no issues.
If you have the later steel framed doors you try using a pop rivet to secure the channel and then using a flat punch to flatten it if need be. It works.
On one door I seated the channel up and down with a tack hammer and a narrow block of wood. After I did that the window works smoothly up and down.

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:52 pm

I had fits replacing the window channels on my 27 Tudor several years ago using the vendor kits. The kits include a foam strip for the top. My car had the same channel as the sides on the top. The car was originally restored in the early 70's. The safety glass used was just too thick to slide easily in the supplied channel. So, did some Google searches and found a company, Stanpro, that makes all kinds of window channel. It was listed by dimension. I found some that was the same as the existing. I had to add my old clips. It worked perfectly, both sides and top.
window channel apw.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic