Egypt Garage e-lights

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Ewalny
First Name: Eido
Last Name: Walny
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor
Board Member Since: 2016

Egypt Garage e-lights

Post by Ewalny » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:01 am

For my birthday, my wife got me a set of Egypt Garage’s e-lights for my 27 Fordor. I’ve read a few posts on the board about them not working well, having the unit fall off, and a few other things.

Has anyone I’d a good experience with these? Any tips or tricks you can recommend for long loading success?

My Fordor has a stock break light amd I use 1927 WI license plates. So I’ve got to rig up the mount a little bit. Has anyone else done that? Any advice? Aside from not wanting it to fall off, I also don’t want to damage my plate or scratch my fender.

Thank you!

Eido

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Re: Egypt Garage e-lights

Post by Russ T Fender » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:36 am

I have had them for years with no issues. I bought extra mounts and switch from car to car.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:02 am

Good experience here. They are bright, and I use them in conjunction with hand /arm signal on turns, at a stop light they are nice to have so your arm isn't stretched out for 40 sec light change at the intersection :lol: The LED's are very bright and the sequential action of the arrows gets attention from most behind you.

Mounted the unit to the back of the accessory '26-'27 stop lamp bracket, on my '27 touring, think you could do the same. Trimmed the factory bracket I recall or maybe I made it, been a few years.

Mount turn signal.jpg

For use, good to change the batteries every tour, as sometimes forget to turn the rear blinker off, and it can run down when parked overnight.

The steering column clamp works good, but made reaching the horn button awkward, but ok.

On my other T's, I got the made in China bicycle ones off eBay, and the mount for the handlebar fits right on the Ford steering wheel! And the China ones are inexpensive, but same blinker unit as Egypt Garage, the cost of theirs is in the long bracket for the rear and steering column. Bit of sheet metal bend, and a rear bracket is easy to fabricate.[/b]

signal.jpg
Signal switch.jpg
IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1453.jpg (112.34 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Last edited by DanTreace on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 am

This is the same China version unit mounted on the steering wheel spider. The China version comes with this control for handle bar, but it fits neat on the steering wheel and simple access. Make your own rear bracket to mount. On the '24 made a mount to fit to the spare tire hanging off the center. The signal is centered on the T that way.

IMG_1461.jpg
IMG_1461.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:40 am

I'm running them on both the '19 Centerdoor & the '14 Touring - nice product - no problems & have had them on for 4-5 years.

Topic author
Ewalny

Post by Ewalny » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:46 am

Dan - I like that flashlight mount you’ve got.

Any ideas on how to get the license bracket to fit with a vintage plate? I was going to use steel cable through the license plate itself but I’m worried about tearing the plate. Perhaps I’d add a bolt through the plate and tie to that? Or use a hard bracket instead of wire?

I’m not sure any of the brackets Egypt sells would work for my application. Again, the issues I have are a stock brake light and a vintage plate.

RajoRacer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:05 am

I use Egypt's brackets on both T's - I'll have to look & see if I had to modify the bracket as the Centerdoor has an original 1919 Washington plate that is longer than modern plates - on the '14, I attached the Egypt bracket to my original "Neverout" license bracket - I'll try & get a couple photos.

Topic author
Ewalny

Post by Ewalny » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Pics would be great!

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm

Eldo

IMO wire mounts may wiggle and get loose, easier to use small bolts and nuts and add the mount to a bracket, fit the bracket where the Signal Lamp won't interfere with the body or fenders.

On this install of the China bicycle Signal Lamp, made a small bracket of sheet metal, bent it to present the lamp at level and marked and drilled holes to mount the sheet metal bracket to the tire carrier frame crossbar. Really not hard to make a sheet metal bracket for that plastic mount.

The plastic mount for the Signal Lamp has screws on the backside to use. That mount of course has the clip handle for instant off and on of the Signal Lamp, to change batteries, or to remove for safety to keep away slight of hand characters. :(

center mounted .jpg
mount .jpg
Back side of small sheet metal bracket fashioned and bolted to the crossmember of the spare carrier on the '24.

back of mount .jpg

Control module on the steering wheel spider.
steering mountI .jpg

Topic author
Ewalny

Post by Ewalny » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:56 pm

That’s pretty crafty. I don’t want to poke holes in my car but I’m happy to poke holes in my e-light mount. I’ll have a find a creative place or method to get it mounted.

RajoRacer

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:41 pm

Here's how I mounted mine Eido - Egypt Garage has about every type of mount you might need without "major" modifications.
Attachments
Center door bracket 1.JPG
Touring bracket 2.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic