Transmission Drums

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
4banger1988
First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Ortlauf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Ford Model T Two Door Sedan
Board Member Since: 2019

Transmission Drums

Post by 4banger1988 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:48 am

Hey guys

I have now seen that the reverse and brake drums of the gearbox are no longer so good.
They don't have any cracks.
The gears are fine too.
Worst of all is the braking drum; you can see it in the pictures.
Now the question: what to do?
would like to install new ones but they cost so much money at snyders.
turning with a lathe is not allowed, right?
Has a good used one or an address for new ones. Or would you reinstall them like that?
greetz patrick

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Transmission Drums

Post by Kerry » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:13 am

If you worried about a few casting pits in the surface then you would be scraping just about every drum in T transmissions, that reverse one will be ok, give it a polish in a lathe with emery cloth. As for the brake one, that's well worn but best to leave the edge that high to match the height of the hi/low drum, use as is or they would all need to be turned town and polished to have matching height.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:29 am

It looks to me like the rums were rusty replacements and the cleanup was rather rough. If they are otherwise sound, I would have them ground rather than turned in a lathe. The finish is much better when the drums are ground.
Frank makes a good point. leave the brake drum and driven plate bolted together so they are both ground to the same diameter.

Allan from down under.

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:05 am

I have used worse drums for many years of touring. I use wood linings and in this case you may have to drive a ways to "break" them in. To me the wood linings don't heat up like kevlar. Just a poorboy speaking. Dick C.

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Mopar_man » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:36 am

All I can say is be careful. If you are spending the time to pull the engine and do the work have the drums magnafluxed. J&M Machine did mine and found cracks that I never would have been able to see. So could you use your drums? Sure they would work. However, it could be a grande waiting to explode. If it does you could destroy a lot more of the trans and motor. So you just have to ask yourself how much excerptible risk are you wanting to take. Good luck with your project.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:58 am

IMG_4678 copy.JPG
This low drum looked OK when the transmission was rebuilt. I'll replace it with one of Dave Nolting's new drums. Yes, it's expensive. But I won't worry about it going to pieces hundreds of miles from home.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:11 am

Agree with Mopar man. Make sure they aren’t cracked. If there isn’t any cracks your good to go. Clean them up a little better as others have suggested.
Original T transmission drums that look good could have very small cracks in them and run for years with no issue. It could very well be they were that way from the factory.
For the amount of work to rebuild and engine and time involved it’s worth it to have them checked for cracks.
It’s a good idea to not remove to much from the drum to make them super smooth. Remove just enough as necessary.
There have several posts over the years about this before.
Someone should know the max you can remove so you don’t make the drum to thin.
I think the original OD is 7 1/2 inches as I remember.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:20 am

Don't turn them. Polish with sandpaper. As long as there are no high places or sharp edges, they shouldn't be a problem. Check also the web inside the drum. Sometimes cracks appear there. The most critical drum is the low drum because it is thin and gets more use than the reverse. The brake drum is a bit thicker and will be fine. This, of course, depends on proper adjustment of the bands and cams in pedals must also be good so the band is completely loose when not being used.
Norm

Topic author
4banger1988

Post by 4banger1988 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:21 pm

OK
We have a spray at work that checks welds for cracks.
This spray is also used in engine construction.
Surely it is enough to examine the drums with it ?!
Do you have the one side where the drums are cheaper than Snyders?

Would you drum and statically balance the starter wreath?

greetz patrick

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Go to Dave’s Restoration and Machine in the resources and suppliers page from the MTFCA home page.
He builds drums and will give you a good deal. He’s a good guy and knowledgeable. His phone number is there.

TeveS-Nor Cal
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Straw
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 and lots of parts
MTFCA Number: 12542

Post by TeveS-Nor Cal » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:20 pm

What grit sandpaper?

Ron F
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Fishback
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring, 1926 Touring, 1926 Pickup
MTFCA Number: 20771

Post by Ron F » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:37 pm

In my opinon Dave's Drums are the best way to go.Here is his email davesrestoration.machine@gmail.com.
While you have it down do it right. You won't have to worry about and you won't have to redo it.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:03 pm

Yes!
He will work with you on the drums and if your drum gears are still good he will install yours and save some money.

J and M Machine
Last Name: Gulbankian

Post by J and M Machine » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:00 pm

4banger1988 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:21 pm
OK
We have a spray at work that checks welds for cracks.
This spray is also used in engine construction.
Surely it is enough to examine the drums with it ?!
Do you have the one side where the drums are cheaper than Snyders?

Would you drum and statically balance the starter wreath?

greetz patrick
The Dye isn't as effective as the true magnetic inspection machine. I've shown a typical examples.
We are the manufacturers of the drums and gears that Snyder's sells. Our drums and gears are made to exact Ford blueprint in shape and form.
Yes they are more expensive as it is being sold as a unit not just the drum. it is all brand new. We just sold a complete set of drums to Bavaria.
Yes you would dynamically balance the "Flywheel" Starter wreath.
Attachments
IMG_2887.JPG
IMG_6355.JPG

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:45 pm

There are cracks to be avoided and cracks of little consequence. The J & M photos show both. The cracked web in the drum makes that drum a throw away. The small one around the rivet is of little consequence. It goes to the inside of the drum hub, and was most likely created in the riveting process when the gear was installed.
That said, I have removed drums from transmissions that have been in service, and have found web cracks and even drum wear surface cracks successfully bronzed and put back into use. The new drums made available mean we do not have to resort to these means and I am thankful for that.

Allan from down under.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:57 pm

Yes Allan it’s good we have shops making the drums. I would bet these days that there is more attention to detail and quality checks than Ford did. In other words closer attention checking for cracks!

J and M Machine
Last Name: Gulbankian

Post by J and M Machine » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:00 pm

Allan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:45 pm
There are cracks to be avoided and cracks of little consequence. The J & M photos show both. The cracked web in the drum makes that drum a throw away. The small one around the rivet is of little consequence. It goes to the inside of the drum hub, and was most likely created in the riveting process when the gear was installed.
That said, I have removed drums from transmissions that have been in service, and have found web cracks and even drum wear surface cracks successfully bronzed and put back into use. The new drums made available mean we do not have to resort to these means and I am thankful for that.

Allan from down under.
The crack in the rivet hole would lead to the drum failure as every time the pedal is applied the drum is loaded.
In this instance the drum would come loose and end up broken, basically any crack on a load bearing part is not recommended to be reused.
Since we are in business; we can't put bad parts in that would jeopardize the engine or customer.

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:11 am

I understand your position John. Your reputation depends on doing the right thing by your customers, and only sound parts will do in that situation. However, that type of crack at the rivet hole is not uncommon, and if I am correct in my assumption that it has been that way since the rivet was bucked, it is of little consequence. There are others of the same ilk. Cracks from a valve seat into a head bolt hole need no fixing when installing hardened valve seats. Likewise, a crack from a pan rail bolt hole to the outside of the rail. Other cracks are a cause for great concern, especially those emanating from the rear main boss in the block!

Allan from down under.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:58 am

Interesting conversation about the cracks from the rivets to the gear that you often see on reverse drums..

I had a conversation about 20 years ago with one of our popular vendors whose family has been dealing in T parts for a very long time. His Dad had a friend who worked at a branch plant or somewhere in the Ford supply chain near the end of the T era... And he remembers him remarking that those cracks occurred at the factory!

Just as an aside, Here is a little food for thought for everyone who has a lathe, mill, rotary table, and some time to kill: The disc of ductile iron required to make your own low or reverse drum is $60 from McMaster... Maybe less if you shop around...

8F5A702A-D44C-45C2-8D71-D073F3173DCC.jpeg

Topic author
4banger1988

Post by 4banger1988 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:04 pm

OK
Many Thanks
then i will get in touch with dave