Looking for a nice brass T or letter car (n,r,s,ext)...Any for sale out there?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Sandow
First Name: Mason
Last Name: Clement
Board Member Since: 2019

Looking for a nice brass T or letter car (n,r,s,ext)...Any for sale out there?

Post by Sandow » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:33 pm

I love antiques and history, so I also have a great attraction towards antique vehicles...
I’ve been wanting to get into one, so I’ve been looking for one (or several, LOL) and trying to make connections with others with the interest.

I don’t have a huge budget, but I’d like to see all that’s out there.
I personally like 15-16 Ts and Model Ns, but interested in anything...

Any leads and help are greatly appreciated, thank you

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Looking for a nice brass T or letter car (n,r,s,ext)...Any for sale out there?

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 pm

There is a 1915 brass T touring for sale on eBay (photo below). If interested, go to eBay (www.eBay.com) and enter 224327503888 in the search box. No bids yet and the starting bid is $5,150.00. It is in Massachusetts so it will be a long drive for you if you were to place the winning bid, but if you could get it for $5,150.00, it would be an amazing bargain. Good luck on finding what you are looking for for an affordable price. Jim Patrick

99F213F9-0B45-427F-B50C-C4CF0FCC7413.jpeg

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Looking for a nice brass T or letter car (n,r,s,ext)...Any for sale out there?

Post by Kerry » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:25 pm

If you are looking for a period correct year and model T, that green one is not going to fit the bill, it's a salad mix of years from 1914 to 1927 :cry:

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033

Post by TWrenn » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Looks like it comes with a ghost with a bad case of Jaundice! :lol:

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:01 pm

Come on guys. Be nice. If it looks like a T, sounds like a T, smells like a T and drives like a T...it’s a T and may be something Mason can afford. Any cosmetic problems, such as color, can easily be remedied and how many, who see it driving down the road will know it’s not all original?! Jim Patrick

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Post by NorthSouth » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 pm

-
Here is My 1915 Touring. It has a period correct Ruckstell two-speed rear axle and external Rocky Mountain Brakes. Other than these touring luxuries and the bulb horn being relocated to the exterior it is pretty much original. Still hand crank start. Did you see the red 1912 touring in the "Classified Vehicles" forum here? Have you looked on the Hemmings website? Whatever you decide upon, I hope you will come out on tour with us.
Attachments
20200602_114651_resized (1).jpg

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:15 pm

I suggest joining the Early Ford Registry.

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Hap_Tucker » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:29 pm

Mason,

You didn't mention your experience level with early Fords or other cars. And you didn't mention your mechanical experience & interest. Both of those may impact the advice you will receive. If you have little practical experience in both of those, then visiting some local clubs, talking with owners, and going for a ride etc. would be very beneficial. Sort of like not purchasing an expensive guitar to try an learn how to be a lead guitar player. You may find out you don't like guitar playing as much as you originally thought etc.

Note the 1906-1908 Model N, R, S, & SR cars drive very similar to the 1909-1927 Model T open cars that have the high pressure clincher tires. The balloon tires that were introduced during 1925 give a softer ride and the tires cost less. The Model T Ford closed cars operate the same but because they are heavier, they are a little slower accelerating than the open cars.

But the 1906-1908 Model N, R, S, & SR cars cost considerably more to restore or to purchase restored than the later 1915 - 1927 Model Ts. The N, R, S, & SR cars also take more maintenance time and effort than the Model Ts. But they also offer a window into what it was like to drive a more primitive car.

If you Google Model N Fords you will normally also see the R, S, and SR Ford popup also. None of the stock 1906-1927 Ford 4 cylinder models are considered fast cars today.

And what do you want to do with the car? When I lived in Ft Walton Beach Florida a T owner had a nice two-person T speedster as well as a depot hack T. The grandkids loved the depot a lot more -- so that is the one he used the most. Driving to get ice cream for the grandkids.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap ll9l5 cut off

Topic author
Sandow

Post by Sandow » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:08 pm

DHort wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:15 pm
I suggest joining the Early Ford Registry.
I’m on there forum, I just haven’t joined it yet...was waiting until I had a car, but considering joining prior. Thank you for the advice

Topic author
Sandow

Post by Sandow » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 pm

Hap_Tucker wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:29 pm
Mason,

You didn't mention your experience level with early Fords or other cars. And you didn't mention your mechanical experience & interest. Both of those may impact the advice you will receive. If you have little practical experience in both of those, then visiting some local clubs, talking with owners, and going for a ride etc. would be very beneficial. Sort of like not purchasing an expensive guitar to try an learn how to be a lead guitar player. You may find out you don't like guitar playing as much as you originally thought etc.

Note the 1906-1908 Model N, R, S, & SR cars drive very similar to the 1909-1927 Model T open cars that have the high pressure clincher tires. The balloon tires that were introduced during 1925 give a softer ride and the tires cost less. The Model T Ford closed cars operate the same but because they are heavier, they are a little slower accelerating than the open cars.

But the 1906-1908 Model N, R, S, & SR cars cost considerably more to restore or to purchase restored than the later 1915 - 1927 Model Ts. The N, R, S, & SR cars also take more maintenance time and effort than the Model Ts. But they also offer a window into what it was like to drive a more primitive car.

If you Google Model N Fords you will normally also see the R, S, and SR Ford popup also. None of the stock 1906-1927 Ford 4 cylinder models are considered fast cars today.

And what do you want to do with the car? When I lived in Ft Walton Beach Florida a T owner had a nice two-person T speedster as well as a depot hack T. The grandkids loved the depot a lot more -- so that is the one he used the most. Driving to get ice cream for the grandkids.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap ll9l5 cut off
Thank you for the advice and I’ve started to do or have already done most of what you’ve mentioned prior. In terms of experience, I’d most likely be classified as an beginner, but I’ve driven a T as well as gotten some minor experience from locals who take care of Ts. In terms of what I was going to go with it...enjoy it of course. I’m thinking a 4 passenger or depot hack/camper (built by myself preferably) might be more preferable for me, but I can also see my self driving a 2 person roadster, ext of some sort. I’d like something to drive to school in or something, but if i’m in the potion to take care of an earlier vehicle, I could work to get a work truck, ext to drive regularly. Thank you for your interest...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic