22 windshield on a 23 T?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mr man
First Name: Carson
Last Name: Combs
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring, 1923 roadster pickup project
Board Member Since: 2020

22 windshield on a 23 T?

Post by Mr man » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:45 pm

hey all,

I just bought a 23 touring project, 95 percent complete, just missing a top and windshield. I'm going to turn it into a truck by chopping of the balk half and replacing it with a truck bed, the old fashion way because I already have a 24 touring, and, well, who wants two identical cars. so, I thought I might put a 22 style folding windshield and 2 man roadster top instead, because I have to drill holes to put a top on it anyways. I'm just wondering what do you all think? and would a 22 windshield fit on a 23 cowl? would the bolt holes line up? this one does have a tall radiator.

Thanks in advance,

Carson

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: 22 windshield on a 23 T?

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:06 pm

If you have a slant windshield, you have a later car. The straight up windshield is earlier. The years 22-23 were a transition year for the high radiator and the slant windshield with one man top. I have seen cars the owners say are 22 which look like a 23 and cars which owner says is 23 which looks like 22. I don't know the reason why, however, it is possible that the bodies were used up by the assembly plant before they used the later body, which might not have been the same date at every plant. Another possibility would have been the newer model being sold in the fall and the original title was dated the year the car was sold. Same could have happened with cars not sold until the next calendar year titled the year they were sold. So I would say you should use the top which was made to fit the type windshield you have. You would use a roadster top made for the type windshield you have on the car.
Norm

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:23 pm

As I understand your post you have a ‘24 which would have a tilted windshield. I’m figuring you can tell from the windshield bolt pattern on that car what your other car had. I honestly don’t know if the patterns were different but if the ‘24 pattern matches on both you know what you need.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

VanEpsFan1914
First Name: Charles
Last Name: Foyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: My Corolla doesn't count.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:14 pm

I have one question--if these cars are pieces of history, why cut one in half to make a pickup truck? You can always sell a touring car & find a pickup.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 pm

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:14 pm
I have one question--if these cars are pieces of history, why cut one in half to make a pickup truck? You can always sell a touring car & find a pickup.
Hi Charles. That kind of thing was mostly done long ago, before these were pieces of history, and while they were just "old cars". Was a popular modification by farmers, to create a roadster pick-up, to make useful again the old Model T. Many times, it was, and sometimes still is done, because the rear end of a Touring body has been destroyed. (Collision, rust, rot, etc.)

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:29 pm

I'm almost positive the 2 different windshields will interchange. The challenge will be the top and mounting brackets.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Further to Jerry’s comment, during wartime you would get a lot more gasoline rationing for a truck!!

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:24 pm

Before you make the choice for an earlier straight windshield make sure they are the same width. If it’s either narrower or wider it wont fit to well and the windshield won’t function properly. Just some friendly advice.
Some on the forum may know for sure and not guess about it.

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:29 pm

Carson-
I'm pretty sure that windshield brackets will bolt on the same for both straight and slanted windshield. And if you wanted to put a top on it, you would have to use runabout top sockets, and use the top irons (on the body) in the runabout location.

That being said, when I got my 1919 together, and on the road 40 years ago, I had only the front half of a touring car. I ran around for a couple of years with a truck bed on it, then made a wooden trunk, then found a 1923-25 runabout trunk and mated that on it. Years later I became a family man and realized I really needed to find a back seat section and finish the car off the right way. Yow! That was back before I knew that Ford used a half a dozen different body manufacturers and ever though they were "all the same" they weren't! I spent a LOT of time and work recreating my touring body and wished it had not been cut up!

If you don't want to have "two cars that look the same," I would encourage you to sell, trade, or swap with someone who has something that you are looking for. There might be someone who has a cut off touring who would really like a complete touring body. You could swap bodies and make new friends to boot!

It's your car to do whatever you want, but I hate to see good original stuff get modified.

: ^ )

Keith

Topic author
Mr man
First Name: Carson
Last Name: Combs
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring, 1923 roadster pickup project

Post by Mr man » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:14 am

Great Points everyone, Thanks for all your help! it looks like I need to put more thought into it before I start.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic