Three shifts?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Three shifts?

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:31 pm

At least during the peak production years of the twenties I assume Highland Park ran three shifts, 24/6 (always closed on Sunday). Is that right? If so, was graveyard shift production counted as the last of one day, or the first of the next day? In other words, did they start counting at midnight, or at 8:00 AM?
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Three shifts?

Post by ModelT46 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:35 pm

I was under the impression that the Highland plant in the 1920s was used only for parts manufacturing and parts assembly.

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:50 pm

First shift is what most would consider the late/night/graveyard shift. Second shift would be the morning and the third would be afternoons (the third watch). Detroit was always a Third Shift town (with the factories), that is why bars and restaurants could star serving alcohol at 7:00AM, the first shift was getting out and they did not want breakfast, they wanted dinner. Forty-five+ years of factory work, fist shift was ALWAYS the night shift. You should read about Carnegie and The Long Turn when day shifts had to work 24 hours straight.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:55 am

All the times I worked the graveyard shift it was either the First shift, third shift, or the dog watch... (Does a greyhound shift go faster than a St. Bernard shift??)... depends on who you worked for and how they set up their scheduling boards...

I am guessing for prodution purposes the factory had a set time to pull numbers - I know when we did numbers it was exactly at Midnight (00:00:00), we even went so far as to switch physical ledger sheets, then part of my job for the next 3 hours was to compile them into the various stats that management wanted. I'm sure Ford's had a much more robust system than we did...

And BTW - we knew which local hash houses were open at 5 or 6 AM for dinner, which bars opened at 6 AM, etc. It was our own community, and it was pretty awesome to be part of the night owls, working while the rest of the world was asleep!

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:04 pm

ModelT46 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:35 pm
I was under the impression that the Highland plant in the 1920s was used only for parts manufacturing and parts assembly.
They did manufacturing and final assembly.

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:32 pm

My dad was a refinery still man for forty years, for Shell, Pathfinder, and Union Oil. They called the shifts days, 4 to 12, and graveyards. His schedule was days for two weeks, 4 to 12 for two weeks, and graveyards for two weeks, in constant rotation. It was true shift work, and he did not enjoy it. He would have received more from Social Security if he had stuck it out for three more years, but he retired as soon as he hit 62.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic