Tasty Ts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Tasty Ts

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:13 pm

What are y'alls experiences with manifold ovens? It seems like although it is a good idea, it might not work that well.
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Bill Robinson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Depot Hack, '25 Touring Car, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Tudor, & another '27 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 22487
MTFCI Number: 17887
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Tasty Ts

Post by Bill Robinson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:28 pm

Yum Yum. Fun. Easy to practice social distancing. Share. The smell is inviting. If you have a Berg's radiator, its best to cook at home first, then use the manifold cooker to warm your food. Older, not as efficient radiators tend to get the motor/manifold much hotter, therefore actual cooking is possible (that's my experience anyway).
Here are a few recipes from our club members https://tennesseets.weebly.com/manifold ... ipes.html

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:30 pm

They do a good job of warming food. Using a cooking bag can reduce the mess. Filling the bottom section with water can help control the temperature. We have a fellow in our club who delights in making peach cobbler and sharing it with the public at gatherings such as the Old Car Festival.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:49 pm

We use ours quite often and it works fine. Only buy the one that is all stainless steel. You can cook right in it and just toss it in the dishwasher when you get home. It cooks more like a slow cooker and really only works well with things that have lots of liquid. Driving time to actually cook something in the summer months is generally 2 hours or more.

If you have a reproduction exhaust manifold and you didn’t grind the numbers off the back side of it, your manifold cooker likely won’t fit.

Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Post by Chris Instness » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 pm

Our local club runs a manifold cooking tour every year. It is one of my favorite tours. It’s always interesting to see what people are cooking and the success and learning experiences. I made my manifold cooker from two bread pans and a couple of homemade brackets. It works pretty well, but I tend to play it safe with pre-cooked items that I just have to reheat. I have done lasagna, pulled pork, hotdogs, and chicken fajitas in mine.

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BHarper » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:03 am

I LOVE my manifold cooker! It is one of my favorite Model T "parts" purchases.

There IS a learning curve to experience with these cookers. Starting with very simple meals is the best way to get an understanding of just how they cook your food.
Start with beans and hot dogs, move up to chili, then expand your culinary horizons.

One of my favorite Manifold Cooker meals is Ginger Salmon with Garlic Asparagus and a Baked Sweet Potato, accompanied by a favorite chilled libation from the running board ice chest.
A manifold cooker is part of The Good Life as we know it.

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:04 am

Chris, could you send me a picture of your homemade manifold oven?
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:24 am

For several years when we could tour in the club, North Carolina HCCA, I would take our cookers for my car and one that my son drives to make a blueberry topping for home made ice cream. After our evening meal we would load the cookers and ride for about 15-20 miles while the ice cream was churning. On one trip, my son stopped to get gas. While filling the tank, an older gentleman saw him open the hood to check on the blueberries. He asked my son what was in the cooker. My son replied that it was blueberries. The old guy exclaimed "you mean this car runs on blueberries?". Son Bryan closed the hood without responding. Can't imagine what and who the old guy told to the crowd at the Seven Eleven!!!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:18 am

Attachments
wurst.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:29 am

Maybe we should start a thread with favorite cooker recipes. I like the ones that list the ingredients and end with something like "drive 50 miles" :lol:
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Chip52
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Erbach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32008
MTFCI Number: 23569

Post by Chip52 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:45 am

Manifold cooking is a lot of fun. So go for it.
One of the more experienced members of our local club helped me get started. ( Thanks Sheryl)

One of my favorites is;
Bratwurst pre cooked on a charcoal grill, cut onto 1/2 inch slices then simmered in sour Kraut (home made is best)
Put it in an oven cooking bag to make clean up easy.
Drive about 20 miles, stop and stir the meal, then continue to drive until it’s all nice and hot, or until the aroma drives you crazy and you have to stop and eat.
Don’t forget a bowl, fork, and paper towels. (Call them dinner napkins if you are stopping some place fancy)

Folks at local drive in car shows are often surprised when I get my meal from under the hood.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:03 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic