1915 San Francisco

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

1915 San Francisco

Post by Herb Iffrig » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:29 pm

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: 1915 San Francisco

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Too bad that video doesn't show the Ford exibit. I've always wondered about that subject. I would like to know if they attached any plate to those cars to show they were built there, and if so, if any of those cars exist.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:40 pm

I saw pictures of the Ford PPE assembly "line" and some of the characteristics of those cars were what led me to believe my car (Aug 15) is a PPE car... I'd love to find someting showing body numbers (that would settle it once and for all) - the year is right, the timing is right, the location was right (it's originally from San Francisco)...

The body number on mine starts off 3F815xxxxx... I'm not sure what the "3F" designation was, whether it was built at some mysterious "Fisher Body Plant #3" (I've tried to find some reference to it - everywhere - but have come up with nada), or by Ford, either at a branch (which would make sense if it's a PPE car, as they were technically "built" at the San Francisco branch) or maybe the 3rd shift?

It's funny (to me) that here we have one of the most documented (in some instances) cars built, and yet so many holes still remain!!!

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:47 pm

Loved the show.
The attachment Screenshot_20210214-163531_YouTube.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Henry
Henry
Racing
Racing
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 am

Herb

Thanks for posting that video link, excellent and fun to watch.

As for the Ford assembly line at the Expo, here is some past posting by Hap Tucker:

According to page 31 of Lorin Sorenson's book it is from the San Francisco public library. If it was taken on the opening day that would confirm that they started with the 1915 style bodies. One picture on page 30 shows Henry Ford and Thomas Edison but it was taken in Oct 1915 so it really doesn't help document what was used the first month.

Note page 30 also states: These were mostly of the Open Touring variety with a handful of Taxi models and were all affixed with a brass plate on the wood dash commemorating their birth place. They were all spoken for weeks in advance with most going immediately to Ford distributors and friar patrons, while the remainder went directly to the Orient on the steamers from San Francisco.

So, it would seem a 'real' assembled T at the Expo would have that brass plate on the dash? Maybe most were shipped to the Orient! Also the Benson Ford library has an original handout from the Expo, adv. of the Ford company, its stated up to 25 cars per day were build on the line, with the assembly running about 6 hours a day for visitors to the site to see.

1915.jpg
896561.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 am

To add, Ford already had some experience in building cars with his layout assembly of parts and personnel. This photo is from the Michigan State Fair in 1914, so Ford easily duplicated this effort in front of the public in San Francisco in 1915 !

161356.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic