23T crank pulley pin

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tommyleea
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Russell

23T crank pulley pin

Post by tommyleea » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:08 pm

What is supposed to hold the crank pulley pin in place? I see large hole/small hole in the pulley, and cotter pin hole in pin. Is the pin supposed to fit tightly through the crankshaft to hold it in place, or does the pin enter the small hole tightly holding it in place? I don't see any taper on the pin. I have read several articles on the pulley and pin, but still not really sure what holds it in place. Thanks. I am at that point so trying to figure it out. Tommy

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: 23T crank pulley pin

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:16 pm

The pin does fit tightly in the pulley. Many don't, and have to be knurled to fit properly. Don't mess with the small hole in the pulley. That is to keep the pin from coming out. The cotterpin in one end keeps the pin in place at the large hole end of the pulley.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:45 pm

IMG_3836 copy.JPG
Here's a picture of what Larry said. The parts are in poor condition, but they serve for illustration. The small hole in the pulley (left) is for punching out the pin when it needs to be removed. It is, or should be, too small for the pin to fit through it. The large hole (right) is for installing and removing the pin. A cotter pin in the end of the crank pulley pin keeps it from backing out of the large hole. You're right, the pin is not tapered.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Original Smith wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:16 pm
The pin does fit tightly in the pulley. Many don't, and have to be knurled to fit properly. Don't mess with the small hole in the pulley. That is to keep the pin from coming out. The cotterpin in one end keeps the pin in place at the large hole end of the pulley.
So, with the pulley removed, I should have to tap the pin in, and it just goes up to the small hole, but not in it?

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:02 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:45 pm
IMG_3836 copy.JPG
Here's a picture of what Larry said. The parts are in poor condition, but they serve for illustration. The small hole in the pulley (left) is for punching out the pin when it needs to be removed. It is, or should be, too small for the pin to fit through it. The large hole (right) is for installing and removing the pin. A cotter pin in the end of the crank pulley pin keeps it from backing out of the large hole. You're right, the pin is not tapered.
Thanks..Thanks for the picture.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:07 pm

So, with the pulley removed, I should have to tap the pin in, and it just goes up to the small hole, but not in it?

Correct. The small hole is only for a punch to drive out the pin when you remove it.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:05 pm

Took a look at mine today. My pin seems to be much shorter than the diameter of the pulley, and it is not tight. If it goes in tight, why do you need the cotter pin? Not sure what is incorrect with mine. Either the pin is too short, or the pulley is too large. Are there different size pulleys? I will take some pictures tomorrow.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:14 pm

You're not reading your emails, are you?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:14 pm
You're not reading your emails, are you?
Just read it. Been in the shop all day..Thanks

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:41 pm

Yes, there are different sizes.

28 PARTS 28.jpg
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502

Post by Corey Walker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:17 pm

Be sure and put in the cotter pin. I left one out one time and started the motor, I didn’t have a fan belt on it and that pin worked out and hit the pan. In addition to bending the pin, it made a tight pulley loose. A fan belt might hold it in place if it started to work itself out but I know I’ve had to come home without a belt for one reason or the other before.
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 am

Ford Service instructs and shows photo of cotter hole in the crank pulley pin, at the big hole end. Place the crank pulley pin into the large pulley hole, with the cotter hole of that pin up, facing the large pulley hole.

That cotter keeps the crank pulley pin from protruding out, wearing the fan belt, or worst, slipping out.

Although the pin is driven in and should be tight fit in both the crankshaft and pulley holes, the big crank pulley pin can get loose, wiggle, and move. Lots of stress on that pin with hand cranking.

crank pulley pin.jpg

Crank pulley starting pin.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:41 pm
Yes, there are different sizes.

28 PARTS 28.jpg
Thanks for the info.
DanTreace wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 am
Ford Service instructs and shows photo of cotter hole in the crank pulley pin, at the big hole end. Place the crank pulley pin into the large pulley hole, with the cotter hole of that pin up, facing the large pulley hole.

That cotter keeps the crank pulley pin from protruding out, wearing the fan belt, or worst, slipping out.

Although the pin is driven in and should be tight fit in both the crankshaft and pulley holes, the big crank pulley pin can get loose, wiggle, and move. Lots of stress on that pin with hand cranking.

crank pulley pin.jpg

Crank pulley starting pin.jpg
Thanks..I will have to examine my parts some more. I think loose, wiggle, and moves sounds like the pin I have. Tommy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic