RIP- Bakersfield Swap Meet

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

RIP- Bakersfield Swap Meet

Post by Dan McEachern » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:07 am

Just an update- We received a refund check today from the HCCA/KCMTFC for our space deposits for the Bakersfield Swap meet along with a short letter explaining that the decision has been made to "throw in the towel" regarding any future swap meets. So it looks like the nail is in the coffin.
Personally, I would like to publicly thank all the folks that have organized and made this swap meet one of the, if not the best West Coast swap meet for early automobiles and also put on all the great tours that preceded the swap meet itself.

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Re: RIP- Bakersfield Swap Meet

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:08 am

It’s a shame. I’ve attended the for well over 20 years. Good times, and some great finds. I’ll miss it.

KimDobbins
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Dobbins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring, 1910 touring, 1913 touring, 1916 couplet, 1924 truck.
MTFCA Number: 8243

Post by KimDobbins » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:25 am

Really too bad! I've tried to find out the reasons why this meet can't continue. Why can't some other members or other groups take it over? Seems to me it's much easier to continue an existing meet with some new leadership then to try to start a new meet in a new city and state.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:39 am

WOW! If this is not a wake up call to get involved I do not know what is. California use to be the "Mecca" for parts and swap meets, and how times have changed. I will be going to Luray, VA for the first time with Dad this year as he says, "a real swap meet". Maybe dim dar Virginians are on to something with the local chapter and the VFW. Times are changing for sure.

Hank

Gene_French
First Name: Gene
Last Name: French
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pkup.
MTFCA Number: 15614
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Gene_French » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:08 am

it is becoming difficult to host shows and swapmeets ... our local AACA meet is at 52 years ... we cancelled last year due to the plandemic worries , also our members are all "getting old " and our membership is shrinking ... i still enjoy our hobby and enjoy the shows and swapmeets and the fellowship ... i hope the meet in Phoenix takes off and plan to attend this year and following years ... probably the upcoming meet at Chickasha will be an indicator of the future of pre-war events ... hope to see you all there ... keep well ... always an optimist ...Gene French

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Post by NorthSouth » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 am

I also would like to thank everybody who has been involved in bringing us the Bakersfield Swap Meet over the years. Guys and gals like you are awesome.

And, I would like to let it be known that if there is to be a "younger" team of volunteers gathering to carry on this tradition in 2022
I would like to be part of it. Viva La Bakersfield.

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:34 am

Bummer ! That was one of yearly adventures to catch up with friends (and find goodies !) !

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:39 am

The local club here in NorCal killed off their swap meet after 50+ years a couple years ago... it started with aging members and dwindling interest... but truly came to an end when the parking lot rental went from $200 per year to $12,000!! The event would only NET about $1000... before the price hike!!! The person they dealt with for 20+ years retired and was replaced by someone who was going to correct the public school systems perpetual cash flow problem by charging “the true value of the event space”...!

The event in Bakersfield had been dwindling for several years, and the host was actively looking for someone to pass the torch to... but despite all, was still the best event on the west coast and will be missed!

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:36 am

I’m afraid it’s the new normal.
Anything on Hershey this year ?

critterpainter
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dodd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 T Touring
MTFCA Number: 27186
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by critterpainter » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 pm

I am so sad to see this go by the wayside. I have attended this event for well over 20 years. I did miss the the year that it rained.

There Will be a swap meet in Maricopa AZ the first Saturday in May. I think there is information elsewhere on this site.
14 Touring

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:16 pm

I remember when it was hit by a monster of a rainstorm, everybody running for shelter and crowding under any canopy available. I bought a a ton of stuff, went with 2k in my pocket, left with enough to get a burger on the way home. Good times.

Ron Mac
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Mc Willie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1911 torpedo, 1913 runabout, 1914 pie wagon, speedsters
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Ron Mac » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:56 pm

I feared this was coming, but it is very sad none the less.

Bakersfield was always a great meet. I think I attended all of them and each one was better than the last.

A big "Thank You" goes out to everyone that was involved making this happen over the years. Unfortunately people, circumstances and "things" just change over the years. I remember 20-30 years ago when there was a good swap meet virtually every weekend in Southern California. ( I think Northern California was the same, but I only went "up north" for Watsonville and a few other big ones). Every local SoCal area car club, at some point, had a swap meet of there own. Sometimes there were two or three swap meets on the same Sunday within 50 miles of each other-and they were all well attended. Back in those days, if a club wanted to have a swap meet, someone knew someone who would give them their parking lot for free or almost free. Admissions were free, club members collected money for the spaces and a local civic group sold refreshments. With today's liability concerns, etc. those days are long over. There was a group of regular "core swap meeters" that set up and sold old car parts or related items every weekend at every swap meet.

Looking forward to the Long Beach Model T Swap meet. If not this year, than in 2022. That has always been my favorite and I have been a regular there for 35 or 40 years. It is one that I would never miss.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:52 pm

Kevin Pharis wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:39 am
...but truly came to an end when the parking lot rental went from $200 per year to $12,000!! The event would only NET about $1000... before the price hike!!! The person they dealt with for 20+ years retired and was replaced by someone who was going to correct the public school systems perpetual cash flow problem by charging “the true value of the event space”...!
Man, that was a while back! Making the gray matter work to remember those days!

It was ugly... taking an essentially unusued parking lot, comparing it to other locations under freeways in that same town that had successful businesses that they were charging rent to - and thinking "Hey, we get $100 a square foot per month from the video store and the for-profit hospital parking lot, so we need to get the same from that unused bare parking lot" (that was their justification). It was sold to the people as a way to boost the school budget (feel good hogwash) but it was mainly to boost the money going into a certain state agency...

Anyway, yeah, that $12,000 attempted extortion killed what was a small, but fun swap meet. I think I still have the set of hasslers I picked up at that last meet...

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:12 pm

Hoping that, perhaps, someone will pick up the torch and keep it going, as has apparently happened with Chickasha :D .

BuddyTheRoadster
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Rini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 roadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:53 pm

Bakersfield is 4 hours north of me, but it's truly one of the highlights of my year. I'd gladly help run it if I can do it remotely.

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:22 am

BuddyTheRoadster wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:53 pm
Bakersfield is 4 hours north of me, but it's truly one of the highlights of my year. I'd gladly help run it if I can do it remotely.
It is roughly 150 miles of freeway from HB to Bakersfield. You must drive 30 MPH.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:38 am

Got my refund check today. Does anybody think this may boost the effort for a similar meet in Phoenix?

Rich Huggins
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Huggins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring- 1922 deverley truck -1922 center door
MTFCA Number: 50661

Post by Rich Huggins » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:42 am

Hi putting on event like this is a lot of work! its a up hill battle with many dead ends. I have conquered them all except one, getting the word out. So kindly help spread the word email or call me Rich Huggins rhuggie2@aol.com 520-827-0295 southwestmodelt@gmail.com rhuggie2@aol.com 520-827-0295

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:01 am

Hoping that, perhaps, someone will pick up the torch and keep it going, as has apparently happened with Chickasha.

In the case of Chickasha the torch was picked up by the folks who laid it down. From its start, the meet has always been run by the Ersland family. A couple of years ago they decided to give it up, and announced that it would end with that year's meet. They heard from so many people who didn't want it to end that they decided to keep it going.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic