"Neighbors" - period humor

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

"Neighbors" - period humor

Post by Thorlick » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Model T humor popped up frequently in the late teens and twenties. Here we see Joe Keaton (Buster Katon's father) on the left and Joe Roberts in a scene from "Neighbors". Buster tried to use his father in films when he could. Both Joe and Buster did their own stunts and injuries were frequent. In this film Joe plays the boy's father (imagine the creative casting... boy was Buster and Father was Joe). Joe appears throughout but only shows up in the last few scenes with a cast on his hand. What you see following is the creative way they explained the sudden appearance of the cast.

I imagine it was easier to write the cast in to the film than to re-shoot with another actor.

Click on the photo below.

Neighbors.gif
TH

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Re: "Neighbors" - period humor

Post by otrcman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks for that bit of "inside humor", Terry. Somehow I visualize Henry Ford getting a chuckle out of that exchange. But today a movie producer would probably get a letter from the auto maker's attorneys.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:02 am

I think I saw that film many years ago! I may even yet have it on VHS? Buster was always one of my favorites! I have seen about two dozen of his movies, a few of them several times.

Hey Terry, Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Linda had a nasty bout with pneumonia the past two months. She is finally getting back on her feet a little bit.
Thanks for the movie clip!

Topic author
Thorlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project

Post by Thorlick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 pm

Wayne,
I hope Linda mends quickly. I hope you are both keeping warm and dry!

TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

JEC
First Name: John
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:21 pm

It looks like he was using the correct hand when cranking.
It shouldn't have happened.

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 pm

There is a wealth of Model T humor available with a few short computer clicks whenever your demeanor requires elevating.
L&H Band Saw
L&H Band Saw
These are fun but I feel that the suspension of the laws of gravity detracts from the humor.

As usual click the photo above.

L&H broken
L&H broken
BrokenEmptyCaimanlizard-max-1mb.gif (937.52 KiB) Viewed 6034 times

TH

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:25 pm

I love the signage on your pickup Terry.
1924 Touring

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:47 pm

Don, I do too. The L.A.F.D. and tiny remnants allowed me to identify the original buyer and use of the car. The Los Angeles City Fire Department Museum was able to provide a photograph of my car in a 1927 inspection of the Mountain Patrol on Mulhulland Drive in the Santa Monica Mountains. The photo shows from left to right; the Chief's Studebaker touring car, four commercial roadster pickups (green bodies with black radiator fenders and aprons) and on the right a roadster. There were six Mountain Patrol Vehicles in 1927 so Rusty is one of those in the photograph.
Rusty on inspection in 1927.
Rusty on inspection in 1927.
Originally I found the logo on the passenger door, but then sanded the driver's door and there it was.

L.A.F.D.
L.A.F.D.
In snow Feb. 2019
In snow Feb. 2019

After viewing photos of the Mountain Patrol vehicles at the L.A.F.D. Museum I saw that the vehicles had "FIRE" on the back of the seat and the radiator. With proper lighting and keen observation the "FIRE" logo can be visualized.

"Fire" logo on radiator shell
"Fire" logo on radiator shell
Rusty is the lone surviving L.A.F.D. Mountain Patrol Vehicle.

TH

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:50 pm

Correction: there are 6 pickups in the center of that 1927 photo. I often ask folks to pick out which one is Rusty. I can't tell, can you?

TH

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:27 pm

I like this L&H !! Looks like an Ohio pothole :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3500.GIF
IMG_3500.GIF (2.18 MiB) Viewed 5959 times

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Girl watching
Girl watching
SilverDisloyalDutchshepherddog-size_restricted.gif (2.62 MiB) Viewed 5925 times

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:31 pm

I can tell any reading this that the word "FIRE" on Rusty's radiator shell shows up much better in person than it does on any photo I have ever seen. Rusty truly is a wonderful vehicle in person. Terry has done a wonderful job of bringing him back from the brink and keeping his original character intact.

Dave H, How could any intelligent person ever not love "the boys"? Not known to many these days is that in real life, it was Stan Laurel that was the absolute perfectionist and professional. He would often insist on retakes if he thought anything was out of place or not reacted to properly in the shot. Oliver Hardy would often think things were fine and want to "call it a day" so he could go do something else. They went into film work individually, and were put together by the studio they worked for, and it was like instant magic! They became the best of friends and one of the best comic duos of all time.
Even though I have seen the movie and watched that short clip many times before of the car sinking in the "pot-hole"? I still had to watch the car sink nearly a dozen times again just now! Stan's pose and facial expression is flawless! Ollie also portrayed a perfect resolution of his "place in the world". Both sinking slowly leaving their Derby hats floating from whence they disappeared.

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Here, I'll pull out the choke for you!
Here, I'll pull out the choke for you!
T_L&H.gif (1.99 MiB) Viewed 5735 times

It must have been fun to be a special effects coordinator. It would be more fun if your build would go just like this video run in reverse!
OOPS, I'll fix that!
OOPS, I'll fix that!
T_L&H_BACK.gif (1.99 MiB) Viewed 5735 times
TH

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Can you IMAGINE the planning, the care it took, the time three actors needed to sit so still while the pieces were carefully assembled around them! All for five seconds of film time. Most of that "car" is sitting there with nothing holding it together, pieces propped and balanced giving the illusion of a whole car until off camera stage hands pulled a piano wire to yank the wheels off the axles and drop the thing into a pile!
Not just Stan and Ollie, the whole crew were among the best at creating some of the finest film comedy of all time.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 pm

I needed that today! My first real laugh so far. :lol:
Terry, love your Rusty! Nice T. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:05 am

Terry,
Nice post!

Here is the full silent film “Nieghbors”.

https://youtu.be/aeWQzIWMxQA

Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic