Fun Project Voltage Regulator?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Fun Project Voltage Regulator?

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:28 pm

The Fun Projects web site is down and Birdhaven/Texas T Parts are out of stock on the 6v voltage regulator.I just tried Lang's and they also are out of stock.

I would like to get one of these for my new project. i fitted one to the '23 years ago & its nice to drive without having to worry about the battery getting to little or too much charge. Back in the time of the Model T batteries were frequently serviced & replaced. I would imagine at least part of the issue with the short life must have been the charging issues.

Does any supplier have these in stock now? Any word on when these regulators will be back in production?
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Fun Project Voltage Regulator?

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:01 pm

I've heard the same - Not Available ! You might want to order a REX 6v. negative ground diode cut out from Snyder's.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:02 pm

I have not heard of these. How are they better than the regular cutout?
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:04 pm

Diode is an one way electrical component whereas the old style cut out is mechanical.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:18 pm

Hudson29 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:02 pm
I have not heard of these. How are they better than the regular cutout?
Absolutely better. The original cutouts are a electrical/mechanical relay with points open and closing OR sticking shut (draining battery as it runs the generator). A diode is an electrical component that allows current to only flow in one direction. Replacing the relay in a cutout with a diode is an easy fix.
generator-model-t-ford-01.jpg
Attachments
Diode  update.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Rich Huggins
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Huggins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring- 1922 deverley truck -1922 center door
MTFCA Number: 50661

Post by Rich Huggins » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:35 pm

Try it you will like it no more stuck points

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:23 pm

A solid state CUTOUT performs exactly the same function as the original relay type cutout. It cuts the connection between the battery and the generator when the engine isn't running. If you didn't have the cutout, the battery would try to spin the generator when the engine wasn't running. As the other guys have said, the diode is more reliable -- no more stuck points.

A VOLTAGE REGULATOR provides two benefits:

Benefit #1: It has a solid state (diode) cutout built in.

Benefit #2: It regulates the charging voltage so it tapers down as the battery reaches full charge. Once the battery reaches full charge, the regulator provides sufficient current to keep all your electrical loads supplied but does not overcharge the battery. This is far easier on the battery than continuing to hammer away at full charge when the battery is fully charged

This is the fundamental difference between a "cutout" and a "regulator". The cutout was a more primitive device, merely preventing the battery from trying to run the generator backwards when the engine isn't running. A regulator performs both functions.

As Hudson29 points out, the life of a car battery used to be about a year. Today it's not unheard of for a battery last 10 years. The basic design of a car battery hasn't changed so much as the way it is charged.

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 pm

There are several other parts dealers. Check with Bob's, Chaffins, Antique Auto Ranch, Smith & Jones, Snyder's, etc.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Ron Patterson » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:15 am

The FunProjects voltage regulator modulates the output of the Model T generator only to the extent that the battery "needs" charging.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:38 am

Ron, are the FP regulators or for that matter, any of the FP electronics parts even being made? I read someplace that the IC for the regulators was no longer available and someone was attempting to reverse engineer a regulator using 'new' generation components, but expressing little hope of success? Thanks, jb

dunoon
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

Post by dunoon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:05 pm

I got on the site to ask the same question, and somebody beat me to it. I've checked most vendors and nobody has any regulators. Looks like it might be a long wait.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:26 pm

I have tried several of the vendors without luck on these regulators. This device seemed to me to be one of those things that would never be out of production, it just solved too many problems. I just installed a spendy new Optima 6v battery and really want to preserve it. The one on the '23 with the FP regulator has been going for years.

I hope someone will jump in here and fill this void.

Andy Loso
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Loso
MTFCA Number: 346
MTFCI Number: 119

Post by Andy Loso » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:12 pm

i just revcieved 2 in the last month. I used on on a customers car and had a second for inventory, but people tend to have a sixth sense for when I get in hard to get items. Call Birdhaven and have them put your name on the list. The volatage regulator is the only way to go.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:03 pm

I spoke with a very nice & helpful lady at Birdhaven back in December when I was trying to order parts from FP. She had the brake light kit but said EVERYTHING else was backordered with no info on when it might be available. Has anyone spoken with someone there with more specific information?

I believe I am on the B/O list for the VR with them but it might be a good idea to check & see if I remember it correctly. I don't always . . . .

Afrazer
First Name: David
Last Name: Frazer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 closed cab TT. 1925 factory roadster pickup. 1926 two door sedan
MTFCA Number: 52861

Post by Afrazer » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:17 pm

I was on their back order for a regulator for a few months then got a call saying it was on its way and I have it now. I believe they are making them but at a slow rate
1925 closed cab TT
1925 factory roadster pickup
1926 two door sedan

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks David, I called and found that I am indeed on the list. I was told that they are in production and will dribble in bit by bit. There is a waiting line . . .

Afrazer
First Name: David
Last Name: Frazer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 closed cab TT. 1925 factory roadster pickup. 1926 two door sedan
MTFCA Number: 52861

Post by Afrazer » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 pm

A long wait it was. But I am very pleased with the part, so after having it on the car it was worth the wait.
1925 closed cab TT
1925 factory roadster pickup
1926 two door sedan

critterpainter
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dodd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 T Touring
MTFCA Number: 27186
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by critterpainter » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:09 pm

Paul
Perhaps if you bought an earlier T you would not have that issue :lol:

Currently Hudsonless Bill
14 Touring

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:05 am

jab35 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:38 am
I read someplace that the IC for the regulators was no longer available and someone was attempting to reverse engineer a regulator using 'new' generation components, but expressing little hope of success? Thanks, jb
Jim,

Although I've never seen a commercial unit (I always make these things myself) I can't see that they'd be anything but a simple electronic shunt regulator.

They could be analogue, but are more likely switch-mode. The one I designed (but need to complete/write up) is a switch mode. It uses an extremely common IC - there will be tens if not 100's of millions of them around the world, which is why the whole thing costs less than a tenner.

I'd be a little surprised if it was componentry holding up these units. I'd expect that in a fairly short timeframe any competent engineer could either design from scratch, or alter an existing design as necessary, to use current components.

Unfortunately things are a bit busy for me presently, but if you get stuck let me know and I'll see if I can find time to finish mine and draw it up.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:05 am

Luke, you are right on mark. The ubiquitous 555 timer is an obvious candidate for such a project for the electronics hobbyist although one skilled in the art would likely choose a shunt switching regulator controller. They are specifically designed for that purpose with built in features to support the application (under/over voltage lock out, current limiting, over temperature shut down, etc.) and also cost less than $1.

I have functional designs for both implementations, schematics captured and simulated in Spice. So WHY haven't I posted them for the DIYer here? Very simple; John Regan, spent a lot of time and effort on designing the FP VR for the vintage car community as a simple drop in solution anyone could benefit from. It was not as trivial a task as one may first think it to be. I recall reading the trials and tribulations John had with stability (it is a closed loop control system after all) and reliability operating in a hostile automotive environment (Temperature cycling, voltage transients, ignition noise, vibration, etc.). John refined the design into a stable, reliable, manufacturable solution. He devised 6 variants (6V, 8V, 12V in Ford script and non-Ford Scrip housings) which required significant investments in tooling for the housing, including royalty payments to Ford. Fortunately for John, the FP VR became widely popular through word of mouth here on the forum, the Model A and other car Forums where the FP VR became preferred choice over the standard cutouts. I say fortunately because despite the retail price I would guess it took a lot of sales to recover the investment in time and tooling to bring a commercial viable product to market; including all the overhead to build, stock and provide customer support.

I thought about all this when pondering posting my schematics for a DIY VR design here on the forum. It would have certainly been of popular thread; Wow, a $5 VR! What impact would it have? A few with basic to moderate electronic knowledge and skills would benefit by building one for themselves. Perhaps an enterprising reader would seize the opportunity use the information to make and sell low cost, pre-assembled circuit boards for DIY cutout conversions kits, that would be nice. A larger group with sufficient mechanical skills to dis-assemble their cutout, and devise a method of mounting and wiring the circuit board inside the cutout would benefit.

In the end, I decided against posting my VR designs here for two very simple reasons. Out of respect for John for the work he did for the vintage car community bringing the FP VR to the masses and the damage it would inflict; discouraging others from investing their time, effort and money to design, develop, produce and market future Model T parts and accessories for the larger Model T community.

But John sold FP and the VR is no longer available... Perhaps for the short term as the new owner ramps up for production as is my understanding from folks who are on the FP VR waiting list, one does exist. I doubt posting a DIY VR solution will speed up VR availability at best and could discourage the new owner from continuing VR production at worse. Now if you were willing to provide a competitively priced, drop in VR along with the night and weekend customer support that goes with it, that is another story completely.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:18 am

MKossor wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:05 am
Luke, you are right on mark. The ubiquitous 555 timer is an obvious candidate for such a project for the electronics hobbyist although one skilled in the art would likely choose a shunt switching regulator controller. They are specifically designed for that purpose with built in features to support the application (under/over voltage lock out, current limiting, over temperature shut down, etc.) and also cost less than $1.
I have functional designs for both implementations, schematics captured and simulated in Spice. So WHY haven't I posted them for the DIYer here? ......
Was wondering why its necessary to put the VR inside the Cut-Out as opposed to a a black-box setup at the battery site (would be simpler and easier to DIY) Update the cut-out with a diode if you like. Pictures found on the internet
Attachments
hb-reg-labs-removed.jpg
V 3.jpg
V 3.jpg (15.14 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm glad we are respecting the investment that John Reagan & the new owner of Fun Projects have in this product. We all need to support those who support us. I will wait for Birdhaven to fill my order and should my cut out quit cutting out I'll come up with some sort of plan B.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:16 pm

critterpainter wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:09 pm
Paul
Perhaps if you bought an earlier T you would not have that issue :lol:

Currently Hudsonless Bill
Great to hear from you! This car started life without a genny but one was fitted later on. I'm just gunna fix it & drive it.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:14 pm

Was wondering why its necessary to put the VR inside the Cut-Out as opposed to a a black-box setup at the battery site
To some, the lure of the Model T is experiencing the imperfections and limitations of early automotive technology. ANY "Improvements", especially non-period correct and obvious accessories are deeply frowned upon within this group. The presence of a period correct water pump and/or distributor on a Model T has been the basis for several spirited forum discussions.

For others, emphasis is more focused on Model T preservation and driving experience. Improvements are generally more accepted if they are undetectable, drop in, replacements with superior performance and benefit compared with original functions (Voltage Regulator, Neoprene seals, Aluminum pistons, maintenance free timer, Kevlar bands, etc.). No permanent modifications to the car necessary and can revert back to full stock if/when desired; albeit some easier than others.

From a practical engineering perspective, it would make much more sense and be easier to house the Voltage Regulator in an external black box with good thermal design not subject to engine temperatures.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:48 pm

In case anyone is interested in the tech, I use a TL494, which is a 'proper' PWM controller.

Detail on these, including app notes etc, is available from Texas Instruments - https://www.ti.com/product/TL494

TL494's are used in many PC power supplies around the world. Often the circuit board of these PSU's will also have a high-current schottky diode, which can be used in the (Model T) regulator design, or directly as a 'cut-out' diode. Schottky diodes have a very low forward resistance, which is desirable for a number of reasons.

So, if you happen to have an old PC languishing in the back shed it's likely you'll also have almost everything you need to make a voltage regulator for your T, and/or replace the mechanical cutout - without spending any money.

Now, with regard to the comments on commerce that have been made; I decided when I joined this forum that I was here as a guest and I wouldn't respond to such, for the most part I was happy just to contribute and assist where I could - for me this 'helping hand' is the essence of such fora. I'd like to think it's been clear over time that I have interest neither in selling any product or service, nor trying to destroy anyone's business.

In fact it was out of regard for the latter that I chose not to publish my electronic timer design alongside the coil tester I was working on as it quickly became obvious it could upset a commercial producer of such things, and that was never my intent.

In the time the coil tester (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9072) has been available it seems to me that there have been a few people that have built one, and pleasingly several people have contributed back to that project. The result has been a feature-rich device that is inexpensive and able to be made by anyone who has a few skills or would like to learn them. Ultimately it's contributed to the general body of knowledge which I think this has helped all of us here.

Coming back to a regulator. Much like the coil tester, or an electronic timer, I imagine there would only be a few who'd be interested in going down the track of making such a thing, or contributing to its design. By far the majority of people would probably prefer to pay someone else for a finished product that works well and has proven itself over time - a free regulator design is unlikely to affect their volume of sales.

However it could be that a superior device might result from a community project. It may even be that a/the commercial producer would pick up the community design and produce units based on that - after all the design itself would freely available to them just as to anyone else.

Anyway that's speculation; making money out of you is not of interest to me, someone else can do that, but before I do expend effort on writing up a regulator, and/or timer, perhaps one should first enquire as to whether there's any interest in such?

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:51 am

Some time ago I designed a regulator for the T. I haven’t actually tried it in the Model T, but only bench tested it using a power supply, and it worked well in that situation. No guarantees therefore, and I’m merely presenting it as an idea for further thought. It works by short circuiting the generator output when the battery reaches 7V. In this manner it works like the well known ‘grounding switch’, albeit automatically. Once the battery voltage begins to fall, the MOSFET is switched off, allowing charging to recommence, and the cycle starts again.
468AC7FD-089C-44D3-9DB6-2B314F572109.jpeg

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:43 pm

John: Thanks for sharing. In my opinion, this article contains useful background info and I think it contributes to this discussion, thanks. https://www.cool386.com/regulator/regulator.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic