Charging System

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
GG Gregory
First Name: GG
Last Name: Gregory
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster

Charging System

Post by GG Gregory » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:21 pm

I finally got my generator on my 27 Roadster with 6v voltage regulator. I used a test light on the output side of the generator and it’s working except my amp meter isn’t showing charge. It does show discharge when I turn on the lights. I had a cutout with diode that i tried also and the amp meter still shows no charge. The amp meter is new and everything seems to be wired right. If If I have a bad meter would it still show discharge with lights on ? I would think it wouldn’t show anything either way if it’s bad ???

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Charging System

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:27 pm

Changed my mind. DISCONNECT THE WIRE ON THE AMP METER and the check continuity from the battery back to that wire end
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
GG Gregory

Post by GG Gregory » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Thanks, will do

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:52 pm

Do not at any time run the generator without a connection to the battery! That includes running it with an open diode or regulator. It will cause the generator to overheat and burn out! I don't know about a voltage regulator, but with a cutout, or diode, you can take a short piece of wire and connect between the generator output and the battery side of the regulator with the engine running it would show a charge if the generator is working. This will also "flash" the generator and build up the residual magnetism in the field of the generator. After that it should show a charge if it is working. Since you have tried both the diode and the regulator, I think the probable cause is the generator needs to be flashed.
If I park my car for a few months, the generator will lose residual magnetism and need to be flashed to get a charge. If I use it regularly, it will not need to be flashed.

After saying all the above. With the engine running at a fast idle, and you turn on the lights does it still show a discharge, or only when the engine is not running. A regulator will show almost no charge when the battery is fully charged, but when you turn on the lights it will still show a slight charge.
Norm

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:14 pm

GG,

Do you have a multimeter, and what type of regulator is it?

There are several possibilities that could result in the outcome you describe, this information will assist in being able to provide a logical fault-finding procedure.

Take note that Norm has provided good advice re running without the generator connected!

Topic author
GG Gregory

Post by GG Gregory » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:19 pm

Norm, It shows discharge while running also. Wouldn’t the generator be working if my test light works while touching to the output side when running ?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:22 pm

A properly charged battery, a generator adjusted to about 5A (which is all you need or want), coupled with a voltage regulator added to notoriously lousy '26-27 ammeters will do exactly what you describe, and not necessarily indicate that the system is in any way deficient.

If you wish to explore this further, you are welcome to send me an email. There are still some critical details you have not advised respondents of, and a few statements that can be interpreted in more than one way.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Kajtek1
First Name: Kris
Last Name: Pawlak
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922

Post by Kajtek1 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:37 pm

Norman Kling wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:52 pm
Do not at any time run the generator without a connection to the battery! That includes running it with an open diode or regulator. It will cause the generator to overheat and burn out! I don't know about a voltage regulator, but with a cutout, or diode, you can take a short piece of wire and connect between the generator output and the battery side of the regulator with the engine running it would show a charge if the generator is working. This will also "flash" the generator and build up the residual magnetism in the field of the generator. After that it should show a charge if it is working. Since you have tried both the diode and the regulator, I think the probable cause is the generator needs to be flashed.
If I park my car for a few months, the generator will lose residual magnetism and need to be flashed to get a charge. If I use it regularly, it will not need to be flashed.

After saying all the above. With the engine running at a fast idle, and you turn on the lights does it still show a discharge, or only when the engine is not running. A regulator will show almost no charge when the battery is fully charged, but when you turn on the lights it will still show a slight charge.
Norm
Good tip on flashing the generator, but my newly purchased Model T shows no voltage on both sides of voltage regulator.
Should it have battery voltage on 1 side?
Would that be bad ignition switch?

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:38 pm

That would mean you have an open wire, or terminal connection between the generator to ammeter to battery.

The open is often on that firewall terminal block or a longer screw going to ground there.

The wire on your generator cutout should measure the battery voltage all the time.

The ignition switch has nothing to do with that circuit.

Kajtek1
First Name: Kris
Last Name: Pawlak
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922

Post by Kajtek1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:45 pm

J1MGOLDEN wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:38 pm
That would mean you have an open wire, or terminal connection between the generator to ammeter to battery.

The open is often on that firewall terminal block or a longer screw going to ground there.

The wire on your generator cutout should measure the battery voltage all the time.

The ignition switch has nothing to do with that circuit.
Thanks. It was bad connection on terminal 1.
Then I had to flash generator and now it is charging.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic