Question about carbide/acetylene hose clamps

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Question about carbide/acetylene hose clamps

Post by Tbird » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:24 pm

I thought I read somewhere that the acetylene gas hose was not suppose to have clamps? But rather it just slips on the brass pipe? This was due to allowing the hose not building up to pressure?
The clamps I'm referring to are the brass ones that attach to the red hose. Any clarity on this
Thanks
Mike
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 2606 times

Jack Putnam, in Ohio
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Putnam
MTFCA Number: 13833
MTFCI Number: 13353

Re: Question about carbide/acetylene hose clamps

Post by Jack Putnam, in Ohio » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 pm

The burners in the lamps are open, impossible to build pressure. However the clamps in question would seal the hose to the tubing to prevent any leaks from a poorly fitting hose. You would not want an acetylene fire at a hose/tubing connection. Acetylene is highly combustible and very easy to ignite.

Greg Griffin
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 torpedo, '25ish pickup
MTFCA Number: 30353
MTFCI Number: 23493

Post by Greg Griffin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:20 pm

Mike, There were no hose clamps. The tubing had a small "swell" near the end; you can duplicate it by soldering a ferrule (from a compression fitting) onto the tube. FYI, I have no clamps or ferrules on mine, and soft "gum" hose does not leak. Stiffer hose would benifit from having a ferrule.
You certainly can build pressure in the acetylene line. The orifice in the burner is quite small, and excess pressure should blow a hose off the tube (it does with mine).
The hose clamps are provided by the vendors because some guys think they must have them. My acetylene supplier was pretty uncomfortable with the idea of my gas lights with no regulator until I showed him that there were no hose clamps.
(You don't need a regulator either.)

Of course if you are using a carbide generator, excess pressure bubbles back through the water tank. No problem.

Best regards.

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:34 pm

Greg, that's what I thought. I thought I had read somewhere in the forum that the clamps were not needed but I can't seem to track down the post, it was from like the early 2000's. I did see the ferrels on the gas supply lines before as well.
Thanks
Mike

Benji
First Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Eckstein
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Roadster Pickup, 13 Runabout, 13 Touring, 14 Light Delivery, 15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Benji » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:35 pm

Mike,
Definitely no clamps. Original tubes had a "bubble flare" like end. Not exactly a bubble flare, but close. I have an original 13 and 14 radiator that still has the original T and tubing if you need a pic.
Benji

Greg Griffin
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 torpedo, '25ish pickup
MTFCA Number: 30353
MTFCI Number: 23493

Post by Greg Griffin » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:19 am

The hose clamps have only been sold by the vendors for the last two or three years. They are not an "original" type item.
You are wise to be cautious. Read up a bit on acetylene; alot of uninformed people are using wrong-sized tanks or taking other risks and then offering their "expertise" on this forum. Ken Parker has posted a number of times about putting his lamps back in service; you should look up his posts. He knows what he is doing.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:34 am

Ken Parker posts - putting his lamps back in service and the "Bubble"
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1436287370
bubl.jpg
bubl.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
GOOGLE Search: model t acetylene ken parker MTFCA
Use this link the get the following and numerous other postings by ken on the subject
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... IDA&uact=5
Just the first few are listed here there are about 30 - the result also points to some youtube videos
Forum 2016: Gaslight novice http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1477926988
Forum 2016: Acetylene tank for head lamps http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1456422789
Forum 2015: Carbide lamps http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1435774354
Forum 2017: Acetylene Generator http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1501731867
Forum 2018: Black and brass carbide generator 13/14 http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1524866048
Forum 2015: Gas headlight burner mounting http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1429616954
Forum 2013: Carbide generator http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1363665437
Forum 2014: What is the best type of fuel/gas for original acetylene headlamps? http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/41 ... 1419460806
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 am

When I drive at night, I run an MC acetylene tank in an upright position strapped into a collapsed running board luggage rack right next to the generator on the running board. I have a small regulator on the MC tank. The outlet fitting on the regulator has been replaced with a right-angle needle valve and a short piece of metal tubing that the rubber acetylene line can be pushed onto. I set the regulator at a very low psi, and use the needle valve to regulate the flow. This works exactly the same as setting the regulator on a torch and using the valve on the torch handle to regulate flow. If you don’t use a regulator, your flow changes as the volume of gas in the tank changes. If you only use your lights for demonstration or just a few minutes at a time, this isn’t a factor, but if you drive for a while it can be. If you use a regulator, you just set it and forget it and don't have to re-adjust.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:30 am

Adam wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 am
When I drive at night, I run an MC acetylene tank in an upright position strapped into a collapsed running board luggage rack right next to the generator on the running board. I have a small regulator on the MC tank. The outlet fitting on the regulator has been replaced with a right-angle needle valve and a short piece of metal tubing that the rubber acetylene line can be pushed onto. I set the regulator at a very low psi, and use the needle valve to regulate the flow. This works exactly the same as setting the regulator on a torch and using the valve on the torch handle to regulate flow. If you don’t use a regulator, your flow changes as the volume of gas in the tank changes. If you only use your lights for demonstration or just a few minutes at a time, this isn’t a factor, but if you drive for a while it can be. If you use a regulator, you just set it and forget it and don't have to re-adjust.
Maybe important to state that the regulator sets and maintains the pressure, while your needle valve controls volume of flow. Even shutting down the needle valve will not cause a pressure increase, since the regulator will compensate for the blocked flow. Operating an acetylene tank with no regulator can be done, but if there are any restrictions to flow, and the hoses can't just blow off of their fittings, the pressure can/will increase within the hoses until it reaches a volatile state.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:43 am

Jerry, Well clarified and good additional information.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:33 am

The last acetylene lines I made have a double flare like the original. I have an original long line that shows this clearly. Yes, there were no hose clamps.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:02 pm

You can make a bubble flare with a standard flaring tool, just skip the last part about putting the cone onto the bubble and folding the flare back onto itself. Be sure to clamp the flaring tool body tightly in a bench vise, it's hard to tighten the thumbscrews on the tool tightly enough to keep the tubing from sliding in the tool.

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to-m ... rake-line/
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Drkbp
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: Parker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1925

Post by Drkbp » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Assembly line photograph shows acetylene gas hose clamps in place on radiator when they come down to drop on chassis.
Lower left corner of photo shows gas line, and clamp, to left front headlight (radiator just mounted out of view left).
Yellow dots near clamps most visible.
Attachments
YELLOW DOTS NEAR ACETYLENE GAS HOSE CLAMPS
YELLOW DOTS NEAR ACETYLENE GAS HOSE CLAMPS

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Drkbp wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:03 pm
Assembly line photograph shows acetylene gas hose clamps in place on radiator when they come down to drop on chassis.
Lower left corner of photo shows gas line, and clamp, to left front headlight (radiator just mounted out of view left).
Yellow dots near clamps most visible.
Clamps would not be so much of an issue with the use of an acetylene generator. When pressure increases in an A/G, it pushes back against the flow of water dripping on the calcium carbide. Slowing down the drip rate by means of back pressure, results in a lower pressure. The A/G thereby being self regulating. The issue of clamps is more of a topic when using Prest-O-Lite tanks, where very high pressure is available.

What is original factory equipment or not is "out of my league" to comment upon. :?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:46 pm

Close up.......
Attachments
lines.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 am

Interesting perspectives.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic