Looking for 1913 Roadster and Touring body wood plans. Are my projects pointless now?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Benji
First Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Eckstein
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Roadster Pickup, 13 Runabout, 13 Touring, 14 Light Delivery, 15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2012

Looking for 1913 Roadster and Touring body wood plans. Are my projects pointless now?

Post by Benji » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:07 pm

I've been out if th Model T game for a while until recently. Work "life" got in the way for a long time.

Now I'm trying to get my projects sorted and started on. I have a 1913 Touring and 1913 Roadster I need the wood body plans for. I have absolutely nothing to work off of on the roadster as all I have are sheetmetal parts. The touring I have a little wood left in a few doors (I think the bottom parts are all missing though) , and half the front seat, but thats all.

Now it seem my projects are offically sunk before I can even get started.

Unfortunately, I just learned tonight after a bit of research, that Leon Parker passed away a couple years ago. So my chance of getting his sets of plans now are gone from what I understand.

I kick myself because I had his address and total 3 almost 4 years ago to order a set. I just was working almost 7 days a week and gone 11 to 12 plus hours each of those days for almost 2 years. Needless to say, I got seriously sidetracked, and I forgot to order. Wasn't even thinking about it until this spring.

Is there any copy of the roadster and touring out there anyone wants to sell?

It doesn't sound like anything is available anymore.
I want to learn to make these wooden frameworks myself as correct as possible.

Benji
Last edited by Benji on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Are my projects pointless now? Looking for 1913 Roadster and Touring body wood plans

Post by Bob McDaniel » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:22 pm

I think someone from here bought the plans from his wife and was going to start selling them or maybe she was still selling them. I remember some posts about it a couple years back. Maybe you can find the posts or someone can repost them here.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Topic author
Benji
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Roadster Pickup, 13 Runabout, 13 Touring, 14 Light Delivery, 15 Speedster

Re: Are my projects pointless now? Looking for 1913 Roadster and Touring body wood plans

Post by Benji » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Hey Bob! Thats what I came across as well when I was searching the past forums.
Someone bought the plans, and nothing came of it. Its been in limbo since last year.

I'd wish they'd offer them up for sale! I have 5 years invested in collecting parts for these cars, and now, as of tonight, its all dead in the water and pointless.

Not too proud to admit I'm pretty bummed! Been drooling over the thought of starting my 1913 runabout project for a long time!

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 pm

Hang in there Benji, I ran into a lot of these type roadblocks while restoring the 1925 Indiana Truck and sometimes waited a year or more to find a way around them but things always fell into place. A 1913 Model T is not rare compared to some other makes so 100% what you need will turn up. My advice is to keep looking and while you are stuck on this part, turn your focus to another part of the car like the engine and running gear so you will have that done when you get the plans to build the body. Just don't over inflate the tires if they are over 50 years old or they might go BOOM! :lol:
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 am

Hey there Benji!
How desperate are you?
How creative are you?
Are you fairly good with problem solving?
Years ago, I was considering putting together a 1915 runabout. I found an old set of wood plans for 1915 through 1921 runabouts, and got them. The plans I got were old, issued by Harrah's research, and NOT complete! No door wood. No seat back. No turtle deck frame. While the seat risers were there, the seat frame was not! Part of the problem for those years runabouts is that the bodies varied so much from one supplier to the next that everything about the seat varied a lot, but SOME guidance on those areas would have been nice. Also no front floorboard riser, which would be different on a '13 anyway.
My 1915 runabout is beyond half done, the woodwork completed a few years ago. I am not ready to let loose of the plans (such as they are) yet. But I would be willing to have them copied locally, and send the copies to you.
Be aware! EVERYTHING forward of the doors will be very different. The doors (which I have NO plans for) will be totally different, and the door frames will be somewhat different! The seat frame and seat back (which I had to create myself) you should be able to find enough pictures in past forum threads to help you create something very close to right (that was what I did!). You would need to figure the upper body frame that the sheet metal is nailed to.
The basic sills and the seat risers should be close to what you need. You would have to alter the areas between the doors and firewall, widen it to meet the wider firewall. You would have to figure around the door and door framework itself.

If you think that would help? Send me a PM.

Topic author
Benji

Post by Benji » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Hey Bob,
Appreciate the advice. Unfortunately without the body plans, the project is halted indefinitely. Im not putting time and money into something where I cannot have a finished body for it. If I can't get plans, then its over.

I just wish whomever bought the plans would start selling them again. Im not sure why they are not, as im sure there are many people who would want them!

Wayne,
I'll send you a pm. I definitely appreciate your reply and help! Im curious as to the differences in between the 13 and 15 roadsters. I have no idea honestly. I know on touring the rear tub is similar for a few years from 13 o. But thats the extent of my knowledge on frameworks.

Benji

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Looking for 1913 Roadster and Touring body wood plans. Are my projects pointless now?

Post by DanTreace » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Wouldn't be too dismal......even with full size plans, there is finding quality kiln dried ash to make the sills, and all the other parts. Plus the compound curves to do the pieces.

With a 'wood kit' you can be on your way. Sure it may be pricey, but all the hard work and quality hardwood is at your side.

Years ago bought Mel Miller's wood plans, these were full size that you cut up and placed on raw wood to make the cuts, so after use the paper plans are mostly ruined. But even with Mel's plans, was cost effective for me at the time (twenty something, and only weekends to work) to buy the wood kit for my '25 touring.

You can get a wood kit for your T's here:
https://fordwood.com/

Here was my work back then, Mel's plans taped on the wall for ref, and a new wood kit to put the pieces in place. ;)

25 t body wood.jpeg
25 t body wood.jpeg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic