1915 frame

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
StuartH
First Name: Stuart
Last Name: Hale
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring

1915 frame

Post by StuartH » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 pm

Howdy,

I haven’t messed with T’s in a while. I still have a 1915 touring sitting in the corner of my garage waiting on me to start restoring it. One of its issues is the frame has the running board brackets and fender irons bolted on. It’s a bit beyond my capabilities to rivet them back on. So, my question is, what’s the going rate for a decent frame that I won’t have to rivet back together?

Thanks,

Stuart Hale

Hopkinsville, KY.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: 1915 frame

Post by Allan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:37 pm

Stuart, that is one of the easier riveting tasks because getting at both sides of the rivet presents no real problem. I suggest you find someone to help you with doing the job correctly. If the rest of your frame is in good shape, finding a better one may be difficult.

Another way is to substitute button head set screws for the rivets. You will still have nuts inside the frame but the recess in the heads of the bolts can be filled and painted.

Your choice.
Allan from down under.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:00 am

Are the fender irons supposed to be riveted? Mine are bolted on. For the running board brackets I would follow Allan's suggestion and get somebody to help rivet them. Rivets are a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than another frame at any price.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:33 am

If you have use of an oxy/acetylene torch? Rivets can be done hot. Rivets can also be done cold. There are advantages to either one, and debates still rage on about which is better. My point is, that even without a torch, riveting can be done by almost anybody, especially with a little help.
I usually have to work alone. Such is life. I use a chunk of heavy scrap iron and C-clamps to buck rivet heads. I find it makes it a one-man-job pretty well. I usually do chassis rivets hot, but have several times done them cold that way.

KiwiFordGuy
First Name: Alex
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925
MTFCI Number: 400

Post by KiwiFordGuy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 am

A helpful tool for the job - https://www.modeltford.com/item/B-BAR-1.aspx

Various sizes available depending on the particular size/location of rivets to be done

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by MWalker » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:26 am

As Steve mentioned, you're going to be dealing with only the running board brackets, which are relatively easy. I recommend using an oxy/acy torch and the rivet setting tool linked above. It helps a lot to have someone working with you on this project. Order twice as many rivets as you should need, because they're cheap and you'll need a few extras.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:34 am

As others, re-rivet is an easy task with good tools, cold rivet uses just a good buck at the back side, and if you want to form a nice head, a tool, and a large mallet. Really no substitute for a tight solid rivet, threaded bolts can wear at the threaded shank, with the twisting of a Ford frame, and get loose over time. For hot rivet, a torch is best, heat the rivet and insert, then buck the backside and a pneumatic air tool rivet gun is really handy.

Have done several frame parts with the gun, alone or with a buddy helper, as that is best.

The '15 frame has the running board brackets riveted. In this photo, a partial and poor '15 frame is used as template to drill holes in a later frame to mount the forged running board brackets. Hot rivets used in this one.

15 chassis above for template.JPG

Rivet gun
rivet set.jpg
rivet set.jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
Ray riveting.jpg
Ray riveting.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
StuartH

Post by StuartH » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:55 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies! I’ll be out in the garage today a little, so I’ll look at my frame again.. It’s been a while.. I want to say the front crossmember needed to be riveted back on, too.. I’ll take a couple pics and see if I can figure out how to post them..

Thanks,

Stuart

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am

I had to replace the front cross member in my 1915. Here are some photos.

IMG_0377 copy 2.JPG
I bolted in the new piece to keep the holes lined up and replaced the bolts with rivets one or two at a time. I found it most convenient to install a rivet, back it up, and heat it in place.

IMG_0383 copy 2.JPG
My neighbor kept the rivets hot and I mashed them.

IMG_0390 copy 2.JPG
The awkward part was getting the backup weight in place and clamping it to stay.

IMG_0407 copy 2.JPG
I found it most convenient to rivet the brackets on the cross member out of the car and install them together.

IMG_0414 copy 2.JPG
I think we did a pretty good job for a couple of novices.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
StuartH

Post by StuartH » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:56 pm

Howdy,

Thanks for the pictures! So, are the fender irons bolted on? I went and looked at what I could see of my frame and it looks like I was mistaken, the running board brackets and front crossmember are riveted on.. So, having not messed with it in many years, I can’t remember why I didn’t like the frame.

Thanks for the help!

Stuart

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:24 pm

The fender irons are bolted on, two bolts on the side and one underneath. Standard 3/8" fine thread bolts and castle nuts, with nuts on the outside of the frame for each.

Allan from down under.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Yes, the fender irons are bolted on. 3/8 bolts, 24 threads per inch if I recall correctly. Originally, they had castle nuts and cotter pins on the outside and underneath. If you aren't going for trophies or an OCD purist, standard nuts and lock washers work fine. Bolts should be grade 5 or equivalent (good original bolts are fine!).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic