Vibration under engine braking

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Vibration under engine braking

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:35 am

My 26 coupe vibrates quite a bit when running down a steep hill in high gear. The crank and flywheel have been dynamically balanced and the car will run up to about 50 mph with little to no vibration. It's only an issue under engine braking. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Stephen

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Vibration under engine braking

Post by TWrenn » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:15 am

Too much exhaust back-pressure? Can't get out the manifold past enough? Just guessing. Almost sounds like a model T version of Jake brakes!! Someone else who knows more than me will no doubt chime in and help.

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:29 am

I would suggest that you may have driveline issues. Are you confident that the Universal Joint, drive shaft end float and crown wheel / Pinion are in good condition?
Alan in Western Australia

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:11 am

Maybe the outside of the brake drum has a little runout (not perfectly concentric with the centerlines of its bushings). It could be checked by putting a dial indicator on the drum between the band ends and cranking over in high gear with spark plugs removed and rear wheels off the ground.

Maybe a drive shaft or u-joint issue. There are some circumstances where slop in the thrust between thrust bearing and u-joint could present differently between power and braking. Off-centering of the u-joint could potentially cause vibration (if the yokes of the u-joint aren’t perfectly centered inside the ball.

It’s possible that an imbalance in the flywheel may show up when the engine is holding the car back, but not under power, but since your engine is balanced, is unlikely. How was it balanced?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:22 am

How is the idle? A rough idle will be noticeable under compression braking. Then the engine might run rich and have some pops in the exhaust system and any looseness in the drive train will be more noticeable because when the engine fires it will go forward, and then on compression it will go backward and set up a vibration similar to a front wheel shimmy. It will bounce back and forth.
Norm

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:17 pm

I'd check the U joint and related parts. If it feels more like an engine misssing under load, a weak valve spring is a possibility. A weak exhaust valve spring could allow the exhaust valve to open while decellerating with a closed throttle, which would reduce the "braking effect" of that particular cylinder

Poppie
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 tourer 18 tourer 18 TT

Post by Poppie » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:26 pm

I would say hard spots (heat glazed) on the brake band causing a friction problem.
What is the band material??
I would first reline the band and try...N.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm

I took the problem to be under trailing throttle with the car still in high gear. That rules out any problem with transmission drums/bands. The driveline is a more likely source. It probably means taking out the rear axle, and starting with an inspection of the U joint.

Allan from down under.

Poppie

Post by Poppie » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 pm

Allan,
I would love to know where Stephen has his right foot placed when going down a steep hill in high gear, especially in a Model T Ford... :roll: ..N.

Poppie

Post by Poppie » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:30 am

Any thought's ?...N.

browning
First Name: David
Last Name: Kahle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 coupe, '26 touring, ‘14 Staude tractor conversion, '27 coupe, '19 roadster, ’15 speedster, '14 touring

Post by browning » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:06 am

I have a '30 Model A that used to vibrate noticeably when decelerating in high gear against the engine compression. I installed a high compression head on the car and the vibration stopped. I remember seeing a post on the Model A forum about the reason years ago but can't remember what it was.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:07 am

browning wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:06 am
I have a '30 Model A that used to vibrate noticeably when decelerating in high gear against the engine compression. I installed a high compression head on the car and the vibration stopped. I remember seeing a post on the Model A forum about the reason years ago but can't remember what it was.

Now that is something that makes some sense... On the complete balanced and blueprinted T engines I do, I cc the cylinder head. Sometimes the combustion chambers are pretty close, but many times the combustion chambers get progressively larger front to back or vice-versa. His head could be the issue. Of course, it still could be some errors in balancing. I’ve seen pictures of T flywheels that were professionally balanced and have seen some that just look like a plain single plane balance, not dynamic. It’s still a great improvement over not balancing, but sometimes doesn’t do a great job eliminating gyroscopic forces that can cause vibration at some speeds or power settings.

paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:22 am

Have you tried varying the spark advance/retard?

Just throwing ideas against the wall.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:15 pm

I seem to recall an old Italian joke about something hitting the wall !!! And yes, I am !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic