Top Bow Video - Not Model T, but informative

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Craig Correll
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Correll
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19085
MTFCI Number: 22225

Top Bow Video - Not Model T, but informative

Post by Craig Correll » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:46 pm

I just watched a video on fitting top bows on horse buggies on the "Engels Coach Shop" YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqTQFsAguoA&t=15s It gives great insight into the techniques used to adjust wooden top bows to fit bow sockets and how to position bows one to another. It also shows how to adjust the curvature of an improperly curved bow with heat from a torch. Something of a revelation for me. I've wrestled with a new top on old bows with our 1914 T, and more recently dealt with decaying sockets and a cracked bow on our 1912 Michigan. I hope Dave Engels follows this video with wrapping the bows, padding and fitting top material. If you are not aware of the Engels Coach Shop, I encourage you to take a look . You will have new appreciation for the wood wheels on your T and the skill that goes into making a proper wheel. While his vehicles are designed for hay burners, we modern horseless guys can learn a thing or three from his fine tuned technique.
1914 Touring
1912 Michigan Model K - restoration website: www.michiganmotorcar.com
1964 Unimog TLF-8