The most OF's you will probably ever see!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

The most OF's you will probably ever see!

Post by StanHowe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:28 am

Checking out the new forum. Pretty cool!! Different but not impossible.

So I spent the day finishing two OF's and putting them in the mail. Should have taken a photo when I had 11 of them on the bench doing various machining processes to the mating surfaces on them. Had the other two in boxes before I thought to line them up and take pictures. So here are 9 Stromberg OF's that will be getting parts in and on them in the next few days. I've never had this many all at once before and probably never will again.

This is almost $6000 worth of old carburetors laid out on a red velvet background. With the other two it would have been about $7000 worth.

Note the machined surfaces. Every mating surface is machined flat and without chips or cracks to leak when assembled. Most of them get new plugs since the old ones are usually rounded off and ugleeeeeee. They will all get new throttle shafts, bushings and most will get new steel parts as most of the old ones are rusted and damaged so much it is easier to make new ones. They all will get my needle and seat conversion to a viton tipped needle and a replaceable seat.

These OF's, by the way, are all sold or repairs that are going back to the customer. I have one more run of repairs on OF's, should have taken a pic of the ones in the queue.

Better go to bed, I'm trying to get this run done by next week and get started on some S4BF's and half a dozen U & J's. Morning will come early.

One last picture. This is the one that came in that was all full of black goop that has supposedly been rebuilt and test run. Hated to charge the guy to fix it but I can't warranty somebody else's work.
Attachments
2019 1 8 carbs 009 stromberg OF side two .jpg
2019 1 8 carbs 005 stromberg of bottom.jpg
2019 1 8 carbs 004.JPG
2019 1 8 carbs 001 stomberg of group.jpg

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Re: The most OF's you will probably ever see!

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:41 am

How cool seeing them all cleaned and perfect...lined up like that.
1924 Touring

VWGary
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Schreiber
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 22,26 & 27
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by VWGary » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:00 am

Yup, sure are purty Stan
Former member of MTFCA, MTFCI, SCMTFCA
Don't have to be ashamed of the car I drive, I'm just glad to be here, happy to be alive.

Mike Lebsack-Iowa
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Lebsack
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11Torpedo, 11 Roadster, 13 Touring, 14 Roadster, 14 Touring
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Mike Lebsack-Iowa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:02 am

Stan,
I know that you feel like you are getting on in age but man you are undisputably one heck of a carburetor restorer. You take those things and restore them to works of art. I wish you many many more years of good health and stamina to help all of us who need your skills. Mike Lebsack

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:26 am

Absolutely beautiful work Stan. Thanks for posting the photos.

Jay In Northern Ca.
First Name: Jay
Last Name: Buscio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1915 roadster pickup 1915 touring, 1927 speedster
MTFCA Number: 49997

Post by Jay In Northern Ca. » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am

Most definitely the square root of AWESOME Stan!!!!!

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks. I could use more stamina, Mike. I only put in about 9 hours yesterday, a few years ago I was doing 12-14 hour days just about every day. I've always liked to work but after the last couple birthdays and now some health things to deal with I can't do it anymore although I'm healthier than I was a year ago.

In 37 years in the auction business I've had a lot of auctions for dead guys who were going to take some time off next ............

I sold my nice New Holland Swather last Saturday, I was bummed to see it go but I have no business putting up hay now. If I ever think I need one I can buy one, there is always one for sale but not many old ones as nice as this one.

I'm going to take Friday evening off and go to basketball.

The carburetors will be here Saturday whether I am or not. I'm gonna go watch the twin bridges Falcons play ball and eat somewhere other than the same restaurant I eat at every day.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 am

Every time I post anything it generates a couple "where the hell is MY carburetor!!" Emails.
Just got another one.
Off to the shop.
Anybody wants a refund and/or their carburetor back just let me know.
There are dozens and dozens of other places to send them that will put them ahead of anybody else and get them done immediately.

There must be some way to delete stuff but I have to get to work.

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Stan.. just remember.. no good deed goes unpunished.
The pictures are great.
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

bobster1
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Richmon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1919 Paco Speedster, 1907 Model N, 1907 Model S Runabout, 1909 Indian, 1910 Maxwell AA, 1910 Buick Model 16 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 30810
MTFCI Number: 22432

Post by bobster1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm

That's right, keep posting those beautiful pictures and people are gonna want their stuff! Don't forget to take naps during the day, you won't be able to work any longer, but it sure will make you feel good!
Bob Richmon, 804 339 0584 bobveco@aol.com, 04 CDO, 07' Model N, 07 Model S Runabout, 10 Buick 16 Roadster, 11 T Tour, 19 Paco Speedster, 09 Indian, 10 Maxwell

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:03 pm

The trouble with Stan's restorations is you need two of whatever carb you need rebuilt. Mike Lebsack hit the nail on the head. They are works of art. The Hiolley H1 Stan rebuilt for me still has not been fitted. Nor has the one he did at the same time for a mate of mine. They look so nice on the shelf. Hence the need of a second one to use.

Allan from down under.

CraneJon
First Name: jon
Last Name: crane
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 T pickup, 1928 A, 1931 A

Post by CraneJon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:32 pm

I purchased Stan's last Ruckstell rebuild. While not a pretty as the brass carbs, the workmanship and quality was outstanding.
Jon Crane

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Ha! I read your postings and think I should send you another carb to rebuild. sorry just could not resist commenting.

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:05 pm

"Works of Art" for sure Stan! And beautiful pictures as always!

Hey, there's an idea for you Stan. There must be an "OF" now and then that isn't really worth much,....you know,....maybe cracked casting or some such non-repairable problem. What if you were to do whatever all you do to make them so beautiful, then mount them on the typical little "L" shaped display stand just for decoration on the fireplace mantle or something, or, better yet, a pair of them would make a beautiful pair of bookends for somebody's Model T Library,.....maybe a few extra bucks for you for what would otherwise be just more junk in you brass scrap box, huh? Just a wild thought,.......harold

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 pm

I don't have time for that. By the time I got one to where it looked that good I just as well rebuild it and get some money out of it.

I have never seen one I couldn't restore. I don't have time to fool with looking for pictures but you wouldn't believe the way some show up. Missing parts are the biggest problem, it is very time consuming to make some parts with no drawings or a sample to follow.

I have one customer that has bought about 20 or 25 brass carbs, as far as I know they are still on the display stands I send them on -- on a shelf in his office.

Some of them are gorgeous, whoever designed it had an eye for style, some are just a klutzy piece of brass.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 pm

Great work and so gorgeous Stan! I want to re-thank you for helping me with my carburetor on my race car. I am currently sharing the journey.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic