Model T hitch question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
colonelpowers
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Powers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor

Model T hitch question

Post by colonelpowers » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:35 pm

Hello,
I recently was given a nice little trailer built out of a cut down model t frame and front axle. I would like to pull it with my 27 Tudor sometimes for shows or hauling off the trash. I could remove my spare tire carrier and add a hitch but I don't really want to do that. I was wondering if it would be unwise to weld up a bracket that could simply bolt on using the lug nuts on the spare tire holder. In my mind, I think i could fashion something that would bolt in place and drop down probably six inches before welding on a heavy flat piece of steel for the hitch. The new bolt on hitch assembly could be made to extend on up above the original lugs so that I could attach another plate with lug studs for the spare to be remounted, thereby hiding the hitch assembly. I worry that the spare tire carrier is too weak for this idea so I wanted to ask the experts. I have no intention of hauling any real weight with the trailer, it would be purely for show.

Let me know if you think I am an idiot.

Thanks and God Bless,
Joshua A Powers

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Model T hitch question

Post by Kerry » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:33 pm

What I can tell you is I've had to weld and weld gussets on two 26/27 spare wheel carriers that have broken off just by the weight of it's spare wheel. I wouldn't put any faith in one as a hitch with out reinforcing from the spring mount and up.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:45 pm

My 2 cents for what its worth: I wouldn't attach any trailer hitch bracket that attached to a gooseneck spare tire carrier, regardless of tongue weight. Your trailer may not have any tongue weight at all. It maybe, even is light in the front and heavy in the rear, but any amount of weight pushing down or pulling up on the gooseneck might eventually cause the metal around the factory bolt holes to crack, and that ain't a good situation. If you have metal and a welder, consider making something that wraps around the rear crossmember (clamp style), going over the crossmember and under the crossmember, but positioned so it won't interfere with the rear spring.
Last edited by ModelTWoods on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRDxB2
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:49 am

Last edited by TRDxB2 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:40 pm

My thoughts on this is fab up a multi-point hitch, 2 coming from bolted collars around each axke hald at the pumpkin, 2 bolted to the frame, almost like a 3 point (or in this case, 4 point) hitch geometry... I would NOT trust either the spare tire carrier (as it wasn't designed for those kinds of dynamic loads) or the rim lugs... you'd bend stuff up and break parts - even with a light trailer, that's a few hundred pounds of push/pull jerkiness in directions none of it was made to do.

Actually, you look at most of the hitches in the above example that go from the upper spring perch etc., most have a second point of attachment to the body / frame / etc... That poor spare carrier will become a pretzel.

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:33 pm

If you secure mounts to both sides of the differential housing and the frame you are asking for trouble. Every time the axle tries to move up or down the spring will not be able to flex as you have made it solid with the mount. Even with hinge points at the axle, frame mounts and the point where the mounts meet like a scissor joint, it will push your axle forward every time the axle moves upward. You are ahead to make a mount that connects to the crossmember to spring ubolts and possibly to the frame rails also. This would take some of the pressure off of the center of the crossmember.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:23 am

Susanne wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:40 pm
My thoughts on this is fab up a multi-point hitch, 2 coming from bolted collars around each axke hald at the pumpkin, 2 bolted to the frame, almost like a 3 point (or in this case, 4 point) hitch geometry... I would NOT trust either the spare tire carrier (as it wasn't designed for those kinds of dynamic loads) or the rim lugs... you'd bend stuff up and break parts - even with a light trailer, that's a few hundred pounds of push/pull jerkiness in directions none of it was made to do.

Actually, you look at most of the hitches in the above example that go from the upper spring perch etc., most have a second point of attachment to the body / frame / etc... That poor spare carrier will become a pretzel.
Here is one that reflects part of your thought I think
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/17 ... 1322924618 photo below
Hitch4.jpg
More links to pictures and ideas. Some show the same hitches hitches from different angles
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1226098461
This may be the ticket click here to see the install http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29 ... 1182381023
Hitch5.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:36 am

I have seen one which was made from 3" wide flat steel, Blacksmithed into an oval shape and attached to the rear axle housing. At the front, a U bolt clamped it to the drive shaft housing just forward of the rear driveshaft bearing spool. Two other U bolts clamped it to either side of the pumpkin. The rest of the oval was carried rearward to be the hitch point.Unless there is quite a deal of weight involved in the tow, It seemed to be a neat way to do the job. I wish it was something I saw after phones became cameras!

Allan from down under.

Kbillet
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Billet
MTFCA Number: 50226
MTFCI Number: 24863

Post by Kbillet » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:56 pm

Awhile back a guy posted a period correct aftermarket hitch. Don’t remember the contact, but was advertised in the parts for sale forum.
Attachments
94498535-3209-476E-B9E9-8ABA20F73ACA.jpeg

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Kbillet wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:56 pm
Awhile back a guy posted a period correct aftermarket hitch. Don’t remember the contact, but was advertised in the parts for sale forum.
Looks like several were available an all sold sold
https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... ch#p110835
Hitch7.jpg
Mick Jagger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:37 pm

Dean Yoder would be the one to ask. He drives all over the country pulling a small trailer. Sometimes he has a spare engine and other parts in it. I saw a picture of him at Chickasa, on that thread. He had a small tent camper built onto the trailer.
Whatever you use, I think it should be attached to the frame because anything on the axle would tend to bend the housings distorting them to cause failure in the gears. And the spare bracket was not made for the weight of the trailer. Remember too, the slow moving T and also the brake is not made for the weight of the trailer. So it would be good to use only on fairly level ground. Anyway that's my opinion, for what that's worth.
Norm

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:39 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:23 am

Here is one that reflects part of your thought I think
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/17 ... 1322924618 photo below
Hitch4.jpg
Yes, that's what I was kinda sorta exactly talking about. It's like a tractor wher the pull draw is tied to the axle housing... :mrgreen: It would (maybe kinda sorta) have a longer "wishbone" off the 2 axle housing clampish geegaws... which would constitute the lower half of the new-fangled patent medicine show spitzermatic hitch™.

The upper part of my new-fangled patent medicine show spitzermatic hitch™ would attach to the corners of the frame, also terminating in a similar wishbone apparatii. The third member would incorporate ball joints on which the 4 arms would attach on a sliding plate as to not lock the upper and lower arms into an immovable object... like a tractor hitch it would have to be entirely flexible, to where the "wishbone arms" remain the same length but move independent of one another... on the back part of the plate would hence culminate in a flexible pintle-hook style hitch...

Man, I can already envision what a wonderful invention this is, I can sense the immense marketing potential... multiplied by 15 million cars, well, step aside, Rockefeller! Rube Goldberg has NOTHING on this kid! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic