Wishbone Ball cap cover vs Apco cover

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Wishbone Ball cap cover vs Apco cover

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:32 am

I did some front end repairs this weekend. Pulled the steering column and tightened the rivets at the gear and put a new bracket at the frame.
Already had an Apco cover on the Pittman arm, but it was a little loose. The adjustment plug was frozen though. Found a brand new one in my junk
and that took 99% of the play out of the wheel. While reaching for the nuts to pin then, I grabbed the wheel and pulled myself closer and everything shifted forward....the wishbone was moving a lot, and the axle was shifting in the spring shackle.
I found a nice pair of shackles but need to order the bushings. I found a better pair of springs for the ball cap cover and put them on and snugged up the nuts. How much pressure should be on the springs ?? I tightened then down till it took a pretty hard pull to move the ball, WAY tighter than before.
I also found a wishbone ball Apco cover but no adjuster screw or plunger. I only see the tie rod Apco parts in the vender catalogs.
Does anyone have a source for these ? I think the Apco is a better setup myself, what say you ?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Wishbone Ball cap cover vs Apco cover

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:58 am

If the ball joints are round, the original type cap is best. Tighten to where it is tight but you can still move the greased joint easily, without play. On the drag link ends, install the jamb nuts and place pins. On the wishbone, you tighten until the springs are compressed, but the ball easily moves up and down in the greased joint. No play. The springs are to keep the cap against the cap as the ball wears they will take out play. Both studs should be wired together with safety wire. Do not use cotter pins here. Just safety wire.
The reason for APCO caps is for worn balls which are not completely round. They will give a little as the ball moves and the diameter changes. They too should be snug enough to keep out play. Just loose enough to allow the ball to move in all directions.
Norm

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:48 pm

I just replaced the wishbone ball cap but I put in a grease cup into the cap. What do you think. I know, I have to take it apart again because the cap does not fit tight against the pan, but the grease cup I think will make it easy to get grease into the wishbone ball without having to take everything apart every time. Frank
Attachments
40009239-21CE-4211-8CF4-986AAE5E6B74.jpeg

Topic author
Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks Norm !
That’s what I wanted to hear. I might have my ball cap springs a little tighter than that. I compressed the springs about 2 turns and safety wired it at the ball joint. There was a gap in the springs before.
I think I will wait for now on the Apco. I took it for a drive and it was already 1000X better !!
I’ll get the shackle bushings this week and all should be good again.

Looks good Frank, not a bad idea.
Mine stays pretty wet from the self lubricator :lol:

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:16 pm

Sarikatime wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:48 pm
I just replaced the wishbone ball cap but I put in a grease cup into the cap. What do you think. I know, I have to take it apart again because the cap does not fit tight against the pan, but the grease cup I think will make it easy to get grease into the wishbone ball without having to take everything apart every time. Frank
Frank,

The cap does not have to fit tight against the pan. It's better that it gaps. This way, the springs can gradually take up for wear and the joint always remains snug. If it did fit tight, there'd be no reason for the springs. Just be sure the springs are nearly collapsed so that they can't be further compressed and allow the cap to drop enough to let the ball out. Looks like you've got it all adjusted really well.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Here's a different take. Take it for what it is worth. With standard unworn parts, the two nuts are wound on only enough to allow the safety wire to be fitted. This leaves the springs to maintain preload on the cap and the cap is free to turn/rotate in the socket. The face of the cap should not meet the face on the housing. This happens only when the cap, ball and receiving socket are worn, and contact there is an indication of that wear.
Different procedures are used to compensate for wear.

Allan from down under.

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:26 pm

That’s interesting Allen and Jerry, I learned something again today. Thank you. Frank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic