Push Button Starter Switch

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
myersair
First Name: Randy
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe and Sedan 1927 four door

Push Button Starter Switch

Post by myersair » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Anyone having issues with newly purchased push button starter switches?

Three years ago I replaced my starter switch on my 26 sedan because it was becoming intermittent. That particular switch was on the car for at least 25 years. It’s the same switch used on my Farmall M tractor so.....off to the farm supply store and for $9.99 I purchased one. That switch lasted about 10 starts before it burnt the heal on my boot. Ordered a new switch from a well known model T parts supplier at a cost of $32.00 plus $9.99 shipping That switch was identical to the one I purchased from the farm supply. Even the packaging was identical. That one was better, it lasted about three months before it caught fire. Long story short I average at least two (tractor supply type) starter switches a year. I’m hesitant to purchase another from a model T supply house because I don’t want to pay $40.00 for another piece of junk.

I’ve disassembled the switches to find that the contacts are so thin they weld themselves together or burn off.

I’m very carful to make sure that the battery / starter cable contacts don’t touch and all the connections are tight.

Anyone else having this issue?

Anyone know where I can purchase a high quality switch without doubling the value of the car?

Thanks,

Randy

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Push Button Starter Switch

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:03 pm

Are you sure the switches you have bought are for 6 V DC directly from the large battery cable to the starter? Or they made for the solenoid type starter switch which uses low current to the solenoid with the battery cable attached directly at the solenoid? I haven't bought a starter switch recently, but the one I bought either from Lang's or Chaffin's 20 years ago still works fine. I have been on many tours and drive around town from time to time as well. It fits right where the original switch was located and is connected directly to the battery and the starter. I also have original switches on the other two T's.
If you are having trouble with the ones you bought from our vendors and they are advertised as for use connecting directly between the battery and the starter, you should notify the vendor.
Norm

Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 pm

Same trouble here, try rebuilding an original one, not that hard, will be better made.
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:04 pm

If you can find an original one with a good copper contact bridge, rebuilding an original is the best way to go. I think the problem with all the replacements is the bridge pieces are not made with the same material as the old ones. Repeated use and heat generation causes them to loose their 'spring', and they do not disengage as they should. I believe the material used in the bridge should be like that used in the coilbox contacts. Again, there was a problem with those contacts too, until a new supplier sorted out the material problem with those.

Hope this helps, Allan from down under.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:28 pm

Besides using the "better" USA made starter switch on 3 of my T's & selling them out of my parts business since they became available years ago, I've not had any problems with mine nor have been notified by any of my customers regarding said replacement switch.

Topic author
myersair
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe and Sedan 1927 four door

Post by myersair » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:36 pm

Steve,
Sent you a PM.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:26 pm

Over the years I’ve had many Model T starter switches fail so now I always install a starter solenoid. This way I can achieve two objectives
1 I use the solenoid from the Model A and to date never had one fail on either my car or any customers car.
2. I can interlock to the ignition switch so it doesn’t accidentally operate when climbing into the driving seat.
Contact me if you need details. 😊😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Topic author
myersair

Post by myersair » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:25 pm

Tony,
I’ve often thought about doin what you mentioned (installing a starter solenoid). I’ve already have a solenoid and I’ll power that with a small push button switch mounted on the dash. That’s my project for tomorrow!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:27 pm

There was a previous discussion not long ago https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... ch#p140154 I had posted what I believe is ONE of the issues with the switch. The issue is related to how the switch is depressed. If the plunger is pushed in on an angle it may mot engage properly because how the plunger tube is connected to the base with a few bent tabs.
sw2.jpg
sw2.jpg (66.87 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
Another issue is the thin contacts and sitting in a steel cup with no drain hole.
IMG_1742.JPG

Use the switch to activate a hidden solenoid and be happy
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

halftracknut
First Name: randy
Last Name: lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 pickup

Post by halftracknut » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:52 pm

call a military jeep parts house like Peter Debella jeep parts and get a nos switch for a M151 jeep ....these are 24volt end of problem

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:02 pm

When I was a little kid, starter buttons were common in cars and pickups. My brother and I called them "startle buttons".

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:16 pm

I believe there are at least 2 types of 6V starter solenoids used on Fords up through about 1954-55. One type is externally grounded, and it will close when the small terminal is grounded. The other type is internally grounded, and it will close when the small terminal is connected to battery current. Many of these type solenoids have a small button on the case that will close the contacts if you press it. I believe the externally grounded units were typically used on vehicles that had a dashboard starter button, and the externally grounded ones were used on later vehicles on which the ignition key had a start position, as in Acc/Off/On/Start, such as '52 '53 and '54 Ford cars.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:59 am

It’s pretty unusual to have that many switch failures, maybe its the switch, but I’d be looking pretty close at “everything else”. If it is not a switch issue, I’d suspect the cables. (Cables too small, or cables with failing connections.) If the problem isn’t the switch and you replace it with something more “durable”, then all that extra load goes into the starter...

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 am

I use the solenoid with the inside ground and the little button. This way I can always push that button if something goes wrong with the control switch. I use the original Ford switch to work the solenoid. Dan

Mikey1968
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Jewell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring

Post by Mikey1968 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:16 pm

We have a Farmall H with that similar starter switch. The new switch lasted very few starts until it was fried and shorted to ground internally. The new switches are pretty much junk. I think something happened to the quality a few years back as, so far, the newer one in my T (unknown when prior owner replaced it) is so far so good.

Is this $65 switch the one referred to? Does it fit the T correctly? Additionally, will it fit the Farmall H mounting bracket? https://www.debellajeepparts.com/MB_ELE ... ATALOG.htm

If this expensive switch is one and done, I'm willing to spend $$ for quality.

Thanks,
Mike

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Mikey1968 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:16 pm
We have a Farmall H with that similar starter switch. The new switch lasted very few starts until it was fried and shorted to ground internally. The new switches are pretty much junk. I think something happened to the quality a few years back as, so far, the newer one in my T (unknown when prior owner replaced it) is so far so good.

Is this $65 switch the one referred to? Does it fit the T correctly? Additionally, will it fit the Farmall H mounting bracket? https://www.debellajeepparts.com/MB_ELE ... ATALOG.htm

If this expensive switch is one and done, I'm willing to spend $$ for quality.

Thanks,
Mike
It appears to use the same top plate but the underside is different and the plunger is connected differently. The spot welds also would make for a stronger unit versus the bent tabs. No question on the better insulation around the wire connections. Perhaps the "others" are immitations
Attachments
sw1.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
myersair

Post by myersair » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:05 am

Adam,
I’ve replaced all my battery/ starter cables with new single O Teflon coated cable. I too was thinking that maybe the wiring was to small to handle the amperage. However.... it didn’t seem to help!
Randy

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:21 am

Starter problems can overload the starter switch. A "dragging" starter or one with internal electrical problems can draw a lot more current than a starter in good condition. That's a situation that will shorten the life of any starter switch, and it would probably destroy a cheap-o switch in short order. It's also hard on the battery, and will contribute to difficult starting or no starting. A starter in poor condition can draw as much as twice the normal current while delivering slow cranking speed and pulling the system voltage down so low that the ignition system may work poorly or fail to work at all during cranking.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:52 pm

The started switch that is bent up on the mounting bracket, due to a shorter plunger section is a much better quality switch.

The Standard Auto Parts starter switches are about $35.00 to $39.00 now and are also a much better quality switch.

Topic author
myersair

Post by myersair » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 pm

I finished installing the starter solenoid in the T today. It only took 90 minutes start to finish. 😲 what a difference..... nothing gets hot and it cranks much faster. It also starts faster, I think that old style starter switch lost so much amperage across its contacts and turned it into heat instead of sending it to the starter.
I used a new farm store push button switch like was in the car to energize the solenoid. That switch now only draws a few amps so it should last forever.
It also looks original 😁.
I purchased the switch and solenoid at Fleet Farm.......Total cost $26.00.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic