Antifreeze

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tommyleea
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Russell

Antifreeze

Post by tommyleea » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Radiator back in my 23T..I am reading the shop manual, just becasue, and in installation of Radiator, it states to install radiator and fill with clean water. How did that work without freezing? Thanks..Tommy

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Re: Antifreeze

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 pm

It didn’t.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:56 pm

Depends on your definition of clean water. My local bar uses clean water, but they usually add something to it. Still clean, so I can drink it.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:32 am

Antifreeze discussions rival oil discussions. What is meant by clean water is water than does not contain minerals (like hard water). Despite Internet recommendations distilled water isn't good either. The process that makes it causes the water ionically imbalanced. Essentially the distilled water solution is unstable because it is missing an electron. Distilled water will damage the metals in your engine if used repeatedly. The best is soft water. It has the harmful chemicals removed by filtration. This is a good article about what water and antifreeze https://blog.protectmycar.com/can-you-m ... ne-coolant. I like many others have our preference but I'll refrain from mentioning mine.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:21 am

Kinda depends where you live. If you're a resident of the sunny South, maybe water or something close to it would work. If you live up where I do in the frozen tundra, and your car lives in a cold garage year long, better either completely drain your cooling system or use antifreeze adjusted for the expected low temps. Up here that got down to -37 for a couple of nights this winter.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:51 am

Traditional ethylene glycol anti-freeze works very well. If you're in doubt about the quality of your local water, buy the pre-mixed name brand anti-freeze. A good anti-freeze product prevents corrosion, prevents boilover, and does a better job of preventing hot spots and steam pockets than plain water does. It will destroy paint if it leaks or seeps from a water pump or head gasket. Cooling system corrosion can occur in cars stored with the coolant drained, especially if mineralized water has ever been used in the system, which it almost certainly has been. Model Ts running plain water as coolant will concentrate any minerals in the water, which will aggravate corrosion issues. I have seen old hopper-cooled engines with 1' or more of mineral deposits in the hopper and water jacket.

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:01 am

TRDxB2 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:32 am
Antifreeze discussions rival oil discussions. What is meant by clean water is water than does not contain minerals (like hard water). Despite Internet recommendations distilled water isn't good either. The process that makes it causes the water ionically imbalanced. Essentially the distilled water solution is unstable because it is missing an electron. Distilled water will damage the metals in your engine if used repeatedly. The best is soft water. It has the harmful chemicals removed by filtration. This is a good article about what water and antifreeze https://blog.protectmycar.com/can-you-m ... ne-coolant. I like many others have our preference but I'll refrain from mentioning mine.
Can you explain how water loses an electron when distilled? Sounds like you are splitting a an atom or making heavy water which the distillation process doesn't do. Sterile water is used in operating rooms and it is basically just distilled water produced under better controlled conditions. If it is unsafe it wouldn't be used. Also distilled water is what should be added to lead acid batteries when the level drops in the cells. By definition distilled water has no mineral content so how can it damage your engine?
1926 Tudor

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:16 am

Frank...missing IONS...(not electrons)

John, as is seeks to rebalance itself, as Frank said, it is a getter for all sorts of things as it is actually chemically imbalanced in a distilled state. Do a GOOGLE search on distilled water (alone) in cooling systems and it will provide far more information than I am willing to type.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks for the replies..How about rain water from my rain barrel? I always thought that might work well.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:32 am

In the day and age when the shop manual was written, many people put the car up for the winter and drained. Use antifreeze. There was plenty written back then on types of antifreeze to use or make.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:43 am

Run 50/50 anti-freeze in your '23 like Mark said and everything will be healthy and happy...

Or, run just water, any water, and eventually end up posting a question like this: https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20084

Polished brass is another story, but you don't have an early car, so that discussion is moot.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:51 am

Antifreeze is anti-corrosion.

The T water jacket is about 1/8” thick on the bottom. If plain water corroded .002” per year, then sometime after 63 years of operation, you might see some rust-thru. Lots of T’s have been in continuous operation for decades. Lots of people also have rusted-thru blocks. I’ve seen and replaced at least a half dozen in the last ten years.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:55 am

I have been using what is called, "Purified" water which is sold in gallon jugs at any store. I mix half green antifreeze with the purified water and have been using for years. The only time I change it is when I am working on the car and have to remove the hoses. I have been driving my Model T's since 1989 without any problems. I put new radiators on two and the other one has the flat tube radiator which was on it when I bought it. When the coolant gets low, I just add more purified water. Now the mixture you would use will vary with the climate. Here it rarely gets below freezing. If in a colder climate follow the instructions for the amount of mixture to use. The only time I ever use tap water is when I first assemble things to be sure there are no leaks, and then drain and fix with my mix. Another time I used tap water was one time on a tour when I had a leak and and used water from any source I could get it in Nevada desert. In areas such as western Oregon and Washington the water is known as, "soft water". It would likely be OK to use that water directly in the radiator. Here we have "hard water" which comes from a well. All full of minerals. You can tell the difference when you take a shower. With hard water, it easy to wash off the soap, but with soft water, after you rinse, it still feels like you have soap on. I have been told that it just feels that way, but really the soft water dissolves more soap than hard.
Norm

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:08 am

50/50 it is. Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic