Valve seats

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
sdbraverman
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Braverman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Valve seats

Post by sdbraverman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:18 am

My T sat for a while, and at least one of the valve seats got rusty and pitted. I have all new valves coming, and i'd like to clean up the seats also. I see various valve seat cutters on eBay used for under $100, but I'm leery. I don't want to spend $350 on a Neway tool that I'll probably never use again. Who can help me out?
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 10.18.05 AM.png

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Valve seats

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:40 am

Without knowing how much other work you plan on doing, my suggestion, if the motor is out, take to machine shop with one of the new valves and have the 3 angle seats done there. The 3 angle will give better sealing and flow.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
sdbraverman

Post by sdbraverman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 am

The engine is not coming out. I'm just doing a ring and valve job.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:04 am

I would still do a 3 angle grind. Find someone in your area that can come to you. Last 2 valves cant be done well without removing the firewall or pulling the motor forward about 5". Do the job right the 1st time.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:28 pm

I have lots of used valve seat cutters. They all have one thing in common: they're dull and very hard to get a good result. My advice, either pay to have someone do it right, or buy a new, high quality cutter and do it yourself. If you plan to only use it once, then resell it when you're done. How much is your time & frustration worth when you've spent $100 and the job doesn't last long or work well.

And, BTW, you've got lots of reaming to do in order to clean those seats up! A used, dull reamer will be something like torture by the time you're done.

Topic author
sdbraverman

Post by sdbraverman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:45 pm

I had forgotten that I acquired this machine last year from a friend. Do I need three angles, or is 45 sufficient?
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 2.43.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 2.44.00 PM.png

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Make sure the valve guides are not severely worn. I learned the hard way after grinding the valves and reassembling.
Grinding one angle will work, three angles are better for long life. If removing the engine, I suggest installing hardened seats.

Bill Coyle
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Coyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCI Number: 24067

Post by Bill Coyle » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:08 pm

Your grinder will do the 3 angles. I see a diamond dresser unit in the box. 3 angles will give you a defined width which has a concentric (top and bottom) seating area. So if the valve turns it will still be seating on a clean seat. The width and location of the seat is important too. Cast iron grinds fast, so short bursts and check often. Dress the wheels often as well.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:16 pm

I think the only way you'll be happy with a single angle job with the outfit you have is if you have extremely low expectations.

You will have a seat which will be 2-4 times wider than you want. Carbon chips will very likely keep the exhaust valve from seating occasionally, resulting in misfiring and eventually burnt exhaust valve(s). Even with the correct equipment you may find the valves so sunken into the block that it won't have been worth it...that is a lot of material to remove from those seats. With very low valve spring pressure, there is always a balance between having a seat narrow enough to enough pressure on it to cut through the crap that will inevitably end up there, and having a wide enough seat to cool the valve properly.

Suggestions to measure and maybe ream the guides is in my opinion a mandatory step. Then order the correct sized valves, send them to be "kissed" on the seat to remove any travel damage and finally a 3 angle seat with an interference seat (block cut with 1 degree tighter angle than the valve). This will give a good seal.

What you're about to undertake is no small task, as you'll need some sort of tooling to keep the reamer straight and concentric to the valve seat (they're piloted, but a lot of damage can be done if it's just free-handed).

Best of Luck.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Art M

Post by Art M » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:55 pm

When reaming valve guides i use tooling that controls the location of the reamer at a point about 2 inches above deck height. This point is established by using the grinding arbor.
The arbor is replaced with a bushing matching the reamer diameter.. The leading end of the reamer has a pilot. Consequently, the two points provide the alignment.
Art Mirtes

TrentB
First Name: Trent
Last Name: Boggess

Post by TrentB » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:15 pm

A tool like this is very helpful for reaming valve guides:
Attachments
FEFC294F-552B-4B37-BFB6-BDD187C0BF28.jpeg

Topic author
sdbraverman

Post by sdbraverman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:37 pm

My grinder only has 45 and 30 degree stones, so a two angle valve job it is.
IMG_6418.PNG

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm

Your set has a stone resurfacer. It can be set for 60 degrees. Seat shown looks good, but is way to wide for reasons already mentioned.
You are 90% to doing the job right.

Art M

Post by Art M » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:58 pm

Need to see what the contact on the valve looks like. You have plenty of stones that can be dressed to the desired angle. The current contact width is too wide .

Topic author
sdbraverman

Post by sdbraverman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:14 pm

I'll keep working on it. I'll get it right.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:20 pm

GREAT. You have restored my faith.
Here's a bit more. Just kiss with the 60. Fine lap Valve & seat. Note lap line on valve. Should be too wide. Contact should be higher than center. On the upper half of valve, but not to top edge.
Intake contact area should be .060". Exhaust .080-.090".
You move(narrow) the contact area by grinding with the 30 or 60 degree stone.
If contact area extends low, narrow with the 60 degree. If high, narrow by 30 degree stone.
Remove very little at a time. Especially with the 60 degree stone, removes a lot of material quickley.
You can mute the lap line on the valve with a light touch of a fine wire wheel.
Do your finish lap. looking for consistent(even) contact & proper contact width on seat & valve.

If you want to check the quality of the job. Test with vacuum with valve spring installed.
Commercially expensive. I made one from a 1 1/2 pvc pipe cap. Cut o ring groove in the edge & hook up to a vacuum brake bleeder.
This was a hint from one of them montana racers. I have found a few that needed more lapping this way.
Good luck.

Topic author
sdbraverman

Post by sdbraverman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:44 pm

Thank you Speedytinc. I have the tools and basic skills to do this job. Your detailed tips are exactly what I needed, not people telling me to take it to a machine shop. I will dress a stone to 60 degrees, and do it right. I will post more pics soon.

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 am

sdbraverman wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:44 pm
Thank you Speedytinc. I have the tools and basic skills to do this job. Your detailed tips are exactly what I needed, not people telling me to take it to a machine shop. I will dress a stone to 60 degrees, and do it right. I will post more pics soon.
The only two post I see are mine and one other suggesting taking it to a machine shop or having someone doing it and that was before you posting you found the tooling that you forgot you had to do the job. Your first post indicated you did not have the tools to do the job and was trying to save some green.
I think it is great you are able to do the seats yourself. Great job!

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
sdbraverman

Post by sdbraverman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:42 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 am
The only two post I see are mine and one other suggesting taking it to a machine shop or having someone doing it and that was before you posting you found the tooling that you forgot you had to do the job.
Sorry, you are right. I originally asked this question on the HCCA facebook page, and was told by more than one person, that if I didn't know what I was doing, to take it to somebody that does. When I pressed that I wanted to learn how to do the job myself, I was told that early cars are very rare, and I shouldn't risk damaging it.

I am a shop teacher by trade, and I was a mechanic before that. I hate the attitude that a job is somehow so difficult that only "professionals" can do it. There are very few jobs on my cars that I won't tackle, but grinding valve seats is a job I have never done before. Now I am learning a new skill, and how to use a machine that was being thrown away.

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:12 pm

Cool and thanks. :)

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Mark Nunn
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:48 am

speedytinc wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:20 pm
GREAT. You have restored my faith.
Here's a bit more. Just kiss with the 60. Fine lap Valve & seat. Note lap line on valve. Should be too wide. Contact should be higher than center. On the upper half of valve, but not to top edge.
Intake contact area should be .060". Exhaust .080-.090".
You move(narrow) the contact area by grinding with the 30 or 60 degree stone.
If contact area extends low, narrow with the 60 degree. If high, narrow by 30 degree stone.
Remove very little at a time. Especially with the 60 degree stone, removes a lot of material quickley.
You can mute the lap line on the valve with a light touch of a fine wire wheel.
Do your finish lap. looking for consistent(even) contact & proper contact width on seat & valve.

If you want to check the quality of the job. Test with vacuum with valve spring installed.
Commercially expensive. I made one from a 1 1/2 pvc pipe cap. Cut o ring groove in the edge & hook up to a vacuum brake bleeder.
This was a hint from one of them montana racers. I have found a few that needed more lapping this way.
Good luck.
I realize that this is an old thread, but I am about to cut valve seats and I'm doing research. I bought a guide reamer, Neway 30, 45 & 60 degree cutters, solid pilots and I am in the process of making a reaming guide block to hold the reamer in proper alignment. I was having difficulty determining what is a preferred valve seat width.

J&M Machine recommends a width of .070" for all seats. Above, John says .060" intake and .080"-.090" for exhaust. I assume the wider exhaust seat is for better cooling. Is there a consensus that these are in about right? Wider seats for cooling seems logical. But a wider seat means more surface area for carbon debris to cause problems.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:22 am

A valves ability to seal properly is a direct result of pounds per square inch of seat pressure. Since our T’s have very little spring pressure, the seat widths must be narrow to ensure a good seal. I usually go for about .060” on both, and am not bothered if they’re a little thinner

Art M

Post by Art M » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:14 pm

Suxty five years ago, i was taught by a truck and farm tractor mechanics how to grind valves and seats. They recommended .070 to .090 in. contact width. The contact should fall oi the middle of the valve surface. The valves were then lapped to the swat.
This was in the days when the engines were gasokine and hard working.

The common modern procedure is to grind the contact surfaces at one degree different. This is a lot quicker and is apparently adequate with hardened seats. I prefer to use the lapping procedure.

Others will have other thoughts, but that ok. The forum needs the discussion.

Art Mirtes

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:00 pm

A plain cast iron seat might be expected to "wear in" a little and give a slightly wider seat after a few hundred miles. A hardened insert seat probably wouldn't.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:46 pm

Most modern “hard seats” are basically cast iron. The true culprit of the dreaded valve seat recession is insufficient valve material selection for the expected valve operating temperatures. A small amount of seat distortion/wear is to be expected on any new engine break in. The 1 degree valve to seat angle difference is to maximize valve sealing potential during start up

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:37 am

What you don't want is an excessively wide seat contact. Also, modern cam with a more aggressive profile might call for stiffer springs.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:15 am

45* or 46* will clean the seat for the valve to seal, 60* will make it larger, 30* will make it smaller. the objective is to
put the valve seat in the middle of the valve face & thin enough to seal & make enough contact to cool when closed.
Hardened seats are not cast iron, replacement seats are, hardened seats are not serviceable with most hand cutting
tools ( stones are needed ) If you have to ream the valve guides you will find the small block Chevy valves are a little
more robust than ford valves and may help with deep valve seats. When it comes to valve springs stock T springs
installed height is not correct with Chevy valves but valve keepers are available to compensate. If you think you will
turn your T engine more than 3000 rpm model A springs are much stiffer than T springs are. And only a couple of
dollars more.
Craig.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:23 am

Stellite 1234567890

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:24 am

Some engines have 30 degree intake valves Do these breathe better?

Flivver
Last Name: Park
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 runabout

Post by Flivver » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:17 pm

There are some diagrams and observations that you might find relevant in my video here https://youtu.be/WLcaqM89iQE

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Post by AndreFordT » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:30 am

I use the Newark tools to make the seats right.
They are easy to use and make the job right.

Three angles : 45° for te seat; 15° for the top and 60° to finish the job.
Good luck
Andre
Belgium
Attachments
DSCN8370.JPG
DSCN8369.JPG

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:08 pm

Actually,....NEWAY,....jus' try'n ta' help,...😁

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Post by ABoer » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:44 am

HI ; do one of you us this Ford Tool # 20-Z-340 .
Toon
100.JPG
200.JPG
300.JPG
004.JPG

Flivver
Last Name: Park
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 runabout

Post by Flivver » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:22 pm

ABoer wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:44 am
HI ; do one of you us this Ford Tool # 20-Z-340 .
Toon100.JPG200.JPG300.JPG004.JPG
Rounded valve seat cutter! First one I have seen. Really neat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic