Accessory front bumpers

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Lawrence
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor sedan,1927 fordor sedan. 1922 tourer, 1913 torpedo roadster pickup
Board Member Since: 2014

Accessory front bumpers

Post by Lawrence » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:41 am

Hi guys, can anyone help identify these bumper irons, and maybe show me the bumper that bolts on them? They fit fine on my veteran only, because the fender doesn't come out flush with front of radiator, but they only fit over the side mounts of the radiator, and radiator bolt holds them down.
Irons gave spring loaded tube, and can adjusted for position on a single bolt.
Attachments
20210331_202801.jpg
Bumper irons
Bumper irons
Bumper irons
Bumper irons

Topic author
Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor sedan,1927 fordor sedan. 1922 tourer, 1913 torpedo roadster pickup

Re: Accessory front bumpers

Post by Lawrence » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:42 am

Sorry, chris from new zealand. Thanks

John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:09 am

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:53 am

In the photos, it doesn't hold on much, only the grub screw on cross member and slotted hole around radiator bolt.
Cheers
Attachments
Bumper
Bumper
Bumper
Bumper
Bumper
Bumper

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:02 am

That doesn't look like a very secure attachment to the car frame. I'd be concerned about it causing damage to the radiator, either from the bumper hitting something or the attachmenthardware becoming loose. I'd think that normal vibration would keep the thing loose unless it was constantly tightened, and any impact to the bumper or motion from loose attachment would be transmitted directly to the radiator mounting bracket with damage to the radiator being very likely. Is it possible that the bracket is supposed to go under the radiator mount and lie against the frame, and be bolted tight at that point? I'd think a longer than stock radiator mounting bolt would allow using a a nut and washer to hold the bumper bracket tight to the frame, with enough threads above the nut to allow securing the radiator mount ing bracket on top of it with another nut, washer, and spring atachment. It would probably be necessary to enlarge the mounting hole in the radiator mount and radiator shell to fit over the nut holding the bumper bracket, and use a spring with a large enough diameter to fit over the nut holding the bumper bracket. That would allow bolting the bumper bracket tightly to the frame and also allow the radiator mounting to flex somewhat.

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi, yeah totally agree, but i mocked it up on car to see how they fit. There is no way they would go under radiator, as would lift it to high, and the casting is such to go over and around everything, i think they not held by alot, and would just cause damage, but interested in advertising, or pictures of mountings. Brought them off a guy recently, and thought they may be a nice accessory. I can't find anything on here or Google about them. Cheers

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:05 pm

The parts themselves look very well-made, but the attachment method does not. Is it possible that it is a non-T item, or that some additional mounting hardware is missing? ? Perhaps it was intended to act somewhat like a curb feeler, rather than a crash bumper, to facilitate parking in tight spots.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 pm

Several types of early bumpers that fit the Ford, by just clamping in place. Today we would think the mount is insufficient, but same with the tiny bars, the lightweight T didn't have a big impact! Bumpers were good to chase off chickens and to 'test' your parking ability, like curb feelers!

Gemco brand.jpg
ford type.jpg
bump.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 pm

Yeah it's a worry that just a grub screw and radiator bolt are the only fixtures! You still have to hang a bumper off it as well, worry is damaging the brass on radiator, better if it bolted to side of chassis. Thanks for the pictures and information, hope to see more
Chris

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:30 am

If they came with a spreader bar which fitted in the socket at the front of the dumb irons, it would make for a sturdier assembly. I can't see any bolt holes/thread to facilitate fitting same.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:30 am

Hi allan, no the holes are ruff cast, and has a tapper. No sign that it had a spreader bar, but bumper would have acted like that. The adjustable bumper irons are spring loaded and have a solid square block on the end with two bolts to attach bumper. If they were more brass friendly, i would use them😀

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:36 am

Hi allan, no the holes are ruff cast, and has a tapper. No sign that it had a spreader bar, but bumper would have acted like that. The adjustable bumper irons are spring loaded and have a solid square block on the end with two bolts to attach bumper. If they were more brass friendly, i would use them😀

Chris from down under under

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic