What does the "D" stand for on this original 1913 brass steering column quadrant?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

What does the "D" stand for on this original 1913 brass steering column quadrant?

Post by NorthSouth » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:39 pm

-
This is a original brass quadrant from a 1913 steering column. Does anyone know why the "D" is stamped on it?
Attachments
1913 brass steering column part
1913 brass steering column part
Last edited by NorthSouth on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Re: What does the "D" stand for on this original brass steering column quadrant?

Post by Tbird » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:12 pm

Dodge Brothers? You do have the Dodge Brothers stamping on the other side. Never seen one with a D stamping.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: What does the "D" stand for on this original brass steering column quadrant?

Post by Allan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:56 pm

Duh?
Allan from down under.

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: What does the "D" stand for on this original 1913 brass steering column quadrant?

Post by Jem » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:42 am

Inspector's stamp?

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Re: What does the "D" stand for on this original 1913 brass steering column quadrant?

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:03 am

Just a guess, but since your stamp on the other side looks like a Dodge Bros stamp missing the Dodge. Someone at Dodge or at Ford added the D to id the maker. Dan

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:13 am

I have seen another, on a 1914.

TrentB
First Name: Trent
Last Name: Boggess

Post by TrentB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:35 pm

Up until the summer of 1914 Dodge Brothers supplied the entire steering column assembly. After the breakup between Ford and Dodge, Ford began making the steering column assembly themselves, and in so doing began to modify some of the steering column parts. The most noticeable changes were the steering gear box (the change from the two-piece to one-piece designs) and the spark and throttle rod quadrants. Ford wanted to replace the cast brass quadrant with a pressed steel design. During the late summer of 1914 a series of different quadrant designs were tried beginning with a pressed steel design that resembles the cast brass quadrant. A little later another design was tried which is more like the later flat steel quadrants, but created the notches by pressing the notches from both the top and bottom sides. The notches resemble “Ruffles” potato chips. That design was in turn replaced with more traditional designs that varied in size. All pressed steel quadrants used through 1916 were brass plated.

The steering column design changes are clearly identified by examining the “Record of Change” cards and part drawing for the various components in the steering column assembly. This information is in the Collections of the Benson Ford Research Center at The Henry Ford.

I know of several instances where the owners of late 1914 cars have changed steering columns because their steering columns did not match the designs specified in the various authenticity guides. Sadly, we lose some authenticity in the attempts by these cars owners to make their cars more authentic.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:47 pm

Trent B,
Unfortunately, that has been a problem within the hobby for a very long time! Way too many details have been 'corrected' on model Ts because restorers wanted to make their car 'right'. Not many 1914 style open cars are left with their original early 1915 engines as they were installed while Ford resolved production difficulties that delayed the 1915 style. I remember when I began in this hobby more than fifty years ago hearing about so many people that changed the engine in their cars to make it 'correct' for 1914. Too many late 1915s and early 1916 model Ts were given brass trim on the lamps. And there is the "fender without a year", the late 1914 and early1915 fender that had the 1915 style and bill, but the four rivet bracket. I used to see those at swap meets, people couldn't give them away (I know for a fact that dozens of them were sent to scrap!). Now I wish I could get a good pair for my February/March '15 runabout.
And it isn't just brass era Ts. How many 1925 fordor sedans had their squared off side aprons changed to the rounded earlier style just because people believed that the squared off ones were for 1926 and 1927 only?

I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, these are minor things. But the details of reality are important. And historic automobiles should be restored with their nearly infinite variations intact for all to see. And, people need to understand that not everything in life fits into their nice neat 'tied-with-a-bow' vision.

Thank you for all the research that you do! I for one really appreciate it, and always look forward to reading whatever you have to say about our beloved model Ts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic