Interesting 1922 Engine Block, part2

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
richc
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Chillingworth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C-Cab TT
MTFCA Number: 30527
MTFCI Number: 23207

Interesting 1922 Engine Block, part2

Post by richc » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pm

Chickasha block left side s.jpg
When I picked up this early 1922 engine block at Chickasha it had a fair amount of dirt adhering to it. Once home a quick cleaning with a drill mounted wire brush revealed a “What do we have here?” blemish. Needless to say the next thing I did was flip the block over to see the damage.
Chickasha block inside s.jpg
Sometimes you’re lucky – not a hint of a crack on the inside wall. Casting moulds don’t last forever and perhaps this flaw represents the terminal state of this particular mould. Any thoughts from the forum?

Rich C.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Interesting 1922 Engine Block, part2

Post by John kuehn » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:35 pm

Interesting. Makes you wonder how long the block was in service and apparently it didn’t affect the blocks usability.
I guess the Folks at Ford didn’t think that it did either! If it ain’t broke don’t fix it so they say! I have a block that has a slurred Ford script on it but I used it as it was the correct time frame for my car.
Your block just might have good Babbitt and minimal wear on the cylinder walls. There are still good blocks out there that can be used that have minimal wear without lots of machine work. This may be one of them and it reveals what Model T’s really looked like when Ford built them.
Good luck!
Last edited by John kuehn on Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:38 pm

I've seen similar blemishes on iron castings that caused no ill effect.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:57 pm

An interesting example of why the casting dates and all those odd letters and numbers scattered around the block (and heads and other complicated castings). Some designated molds, others designate patterns which are basically a mold to make the mold. Patterns and molds can only be effectively used so many times before they have to be replaced. Wear, damage, or flaws due to thermal shifts show up as flaws in the final casting. When the rough casting has cooled enough, it is cleaned and inspected. Serious flaws result in melting down and reusing the iron in future casting runs. Non serious cosmetic flaws often got used, or sometimes relegated to replacement parts inventory. Some flawed castings were set aside and repaired on work shifts that may have slowed enough and needed to occupy a few workers for an hour or so.
The casting date, along with the "W" and the "16" would tell inspectors which molds or patterns needed to be checked and/or replaced.

Yours is one of the most striking flaws I have seen. It would be a great display piece for your garage or a show and tell club meeting. Or, use it in your car! What a wonderful conversation piece for the parking lot bull sessions after a day of touring with the club!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic