My apologies

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

My apologies

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:59 pm

After I posted my painted/varnished wheel question on the forum and two of the FB Model T pages, two of the responses were from people I had offended. One referred to know-it-all self-appointed experts. Not his exact words, perhaps, but that was the gist of the message. The other said, "This guy is one of the reasons that I quit supporting the MTFCA. Nobody is correct but him and he is more than willing to offer an unsolicited opinion to show how smart he is and how stupid others are." There was more, but again, that was the gist of the message.

First, I should make it clear that I don't speak for the MTFCA. Anything I post on the forum is solely my own responsibility, nobody else's.

Second, I want to apologize to both gentlemen. They both have more Model T knowledge and experience than I will ever attain. I don't want to be "that guy" who drives people away from a pastime that should be fun for all. Sorry.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: My apologies

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:42 pm

I read your comments exactly as you reiterate here. Some people just
go through life looking for insults and ways to claim a hurt feeling. You,
Sir ... just put some thoughts and opinions out there to raise discussion.
If others choose to make drama of it, THEY would be "that guy", not you.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:07 am

Steve, I saw the response and thought it unfortunate your comments were interpreted they were. I knew that was not your intent knowing you as I do from your other posts. always enjoy your photos of Model T events and things you learn that you share with the forum. Thanks.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:27 am

Steve,

You can make all of the people happy some of the time.
You can make some of the people happy all of the time.
BUT, you can NOT make all of the people happy All of the time.

A person desiring to add his knowledge to the community must remember there will be whiners. The person trying to better the community will need to have some thick "skin" and be ready for comments good or not so good.

There's a reason they call them WHINERS. They should recognize and remember there is seldom a "One perfect answer, 100% of the time" and varied view points make life great.

Thank you for all you contribute to this hobby and to my life.

Terry

Plankhill
First Name: Brendan
Last Name: Doughty
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16 , 21, 24, Touring , 24 Roadster, 26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 15143

Post by Plankhill » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:51 am

Steve
This reminds me of your "What it takes to change a spark plug" you posted a few years ago. I think you should update that and by the way add
" I've never tried it but I know it won't work"

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:15 am

Steve you contribute Soooooo much to this community beyond words. I personally "Thank You'!

My remarks were only a positive reinforcement referring to peoples free choice of their likes, resources available, and the likes there of.

Rock on Mister!!!!

Humbled Hank

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:17 am

Cancel culture hits the Forum! Bah Humbug.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:18 am

Steve, you expressed your opinion, as you are fully entitled to do. The other readers have the right to disagree, but that does not make you wrong. If your opinion makes them mad, so be it. Nowhere did I see you trying to make a ruling that only you were correct! I saw what appeared to me to be an open discussion of a subject! That is nothing you should have to apologize for! Stay strong because the rest of us enjoy your comments and help on all topics.

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:51 am

Steve,

Thanks for all you do to support and promote our club and hobby! You have done so many "One car parades," "One car Tours," posted photos to help others, and brightened so many days for so many people -- thank you!

One of the limitations or draw backs to forums, chat rooms, etc. is we usually do not see the other person. If I am already having a bad day and I read a posting -- that usually makes me be more negative about it. But if I'm having a good day (the sun is out, the weather is nice, the wife has asked, "Why don't we take the "T" and go get a dipped ice cream cone," etc. ) well I can read the same posting and be much more positive about it. The posting is the same -- but how I see it has changed just because of how I felt before I read it.

And face to face most of us are more polite than when we are typing on the key board. I have seen several drivers in their modern cars use some rather crude hand signals to communicate their displeasure with another driver on the road. But if the two drivers were in Walmart and one of them was looking at the "wrong type of oil" -- I haven't ever seen them use those "crude hand signals" in the store (OK -- at least not when I've been there). There is something about typing on a message board or chat room that can cause me or someone else to say (type) something that they would not normally say face to face.

All that to say -- THANK YOU FOR BEING SUCH A GOOD AMBASSADOR FOR OUR HOBBY!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:06 am

Steve, like Hap Tucker said... Thank you for being such a good ambassador for our hobby. Remember even Jesus had enemies.

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:08 am

I'm finding it very hard to comprehend that someone could by offended by Mr. Jelf.

Steve Jelf- do NOT let the minority rule! Do NOT let this incident deter you from making future posts!
Attachments
wheel.jpg
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:13 am

Steve,

Shake it off bro! It’ll be all right!

You ARE allowed to feel the way you do on any subject.

As one who has been flogged, stomped, sliced and diced on this forum through the years along with flaming PM and email...I still feel we are all here to have fun and share experiences.

Pura Vida

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:26 am

We often interpret the written word differently than it was intended. In face to face conversations we can have a better sense of the intent. I'm afraid we have lost many generous contributors from criticisms of what they said. I hope we can take helpful and interesting insights without finding fault with them.
Thanks for all the help Steve.
Rich Eagle
When did I do that?

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:27 am

Steve, please add my vote of confidence as appreciation for your many contributions to the hobby and to this forum. I have never seen any of your posts as dogmatic, much less, confrontational. You are perennially enthusiastic and helpful. Pray continue !
"Get a horse !"

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:38 am

As all the posts up above, I fully agree. Keep up the good work Steve, you are an inspiration to us all. Earlier this year I was shredded for no reason by some self righteous nincompupe, I stood back, considered the source and moved on. There is a comment on this forum that you see often, “ Its your car, do with it as you please or as it makes you happy. “. Natural wheels make me happy, but considering I was a carpenter most of my life and like wood. An auto body man may like everything painted and a salesman will tend to go in between, depending which way the wind blows. Just my opinion. Frank

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:41 am

Steve,

I've always enjoyed your posts and have learned a lot from your website and postings. I have copied many of your ideas to make the job much easier. Keep on posting so I can keep on learning.
I do post smart ass remarks just trying to be funny and I hope you don't take them seriously.

Denny
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53 am

Steve,
even here in the UK you have fans!

Virtus
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Robertson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Ford model tt 1921 right hand drive

Post by Virtus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:10 am

Steve Jelf, you're nothing but a gent! Your posts are explicit and helpful often with informative procedures illustrated by pictures to make it all crystal clear. Please continue with your posts and tongue in cheek comments. The members of this forum respect you for your honesty and clarity because, Steve, " What you see is what you get"! Thanks from another ardent fan in the U.K.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:42 pm

You're, a good man Steve. Some people are just more easily hurt than others, and some miss interpret what we say, or miss understand. You have good ideas and good advice, and when you have a question, you ask. You don't pretend to know it all. I hope I am not miss understood, myself. I don't want to be thought of as a, "Know it All". I have opinions, which I express. Some don't agree with me either, but that's alright. We each have our own ideas about what is right or wrong. You are a helpful person, and every time I have met you, usually on a national tour, or at Bakersfield swap meet, you have been courteous and friendly.
Norm

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Steve, I think it’s a case of “print envy......” You write bigger than they do.

Just a theory. :shock:

Chuck Regan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 50122
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chuck Regan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Steve - you have nothing to apologize for.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:26 pm

Rob may be on to something, and Chuck is correct, please continue sharing. Best, jb

JEC
First Name: John
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:41 pm

I enjoy Steve's post and look forward to them.
As to wheels am a bit backwards. My 25 has 21 inch painted black.
My 15 has the gnarly wood wheels that came with it that I varnished.
Attachments
tire.jpeg

FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by FundyTides » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:12 pm

You have nothing to apologize for Steve. Love your posts and people need to realize that we do not all march to the same drummer. When I had the wheels on my 27 rebuilt by Bill Calimer, great job by the way, I made a decision to go with natural finish. I am sure that my car came originally with black wheels as it was a plain touring with no bumpers or wire wheels and was in the "any color as long as it is black" class. However, I wanted to brighten the car up a bit and since Ford listed natural finish wheels in their parts book as available for balloon tire equipped cars, that's the way I went. I realize that this means my car is not 100% authentic but it's the way I like it and everyone should enjoy their car in the way that they see fit. Keep posting Steve! By the way, my step plates are not original either but mean that I don't have to paint the running boards every year.
twheels.JPG

JohnM
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm

It is a corrosion upon society that increasingly at all levels, passions are allowed to overrule good judgment. Mr Jelf, being the gentleman that he is, apologizes for an offense, whether he believes it to be or not. How much better the world would be with more Steve Jelfs.!!!

Jeff5015
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Schroeder
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50300
MTFCI Number: 87
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Jeff5015 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:35 pm

I'd rather have 20 more Steve Jelf's on this forum than two more of them.
1916 Touring

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Rich Eagle is correct in that when we communicate on a forum we don't always pick up the little cues we would in a face to face conversation. The written word is easily misinterpreted so that a humorous "Tongue in cheek" comment can have the effect of waving a red cape in front of a bull for some folks.

I have been the subject of some criticism for the occasional comment but I try not to take it personally.... I know some people have strongly held beliefs that they feel they must defend and usually it's just best to let them get it out and move on.

I personally hold Steve in the highest regard and have benefited from his generous sharing of knowledge since I joined the hobby. He owes no one an apology. Steve is like so many of you that have helped me over the last three years. I can't begin to express my gratitude to all of you. Discussions like the "restoration" one have helped me stay sane throughout the isolation brought on by Covid and I hope they keep coming.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Fuses. water pumps. and 12 volts

Post by Novice » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:41 pm

Steve. Enjoy Your posts. and touring diary. I would have never thought paint or finishes would create such a stir. and You didn't even haft to mention fuse's, water pumps or conversion to 12 volts.

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428

Post by Bob McDaniel » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Well Steve, it looks likes the votes are in and you have more friends than you know.

Now when are you going to post your next video? We need something new to watch on those rainy days when we don't want to get the T dirty.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:47 pm

I'd consider installing a water pump, but I draw the line at "Hello Kitty" radiator ornaments with LED eyes that light up.....

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Steve

Your original post was in fun, and you have made that love of painted wood spokes on T's before, heavens a few others were bothered ;)

Now that original post is deleted, so can't add anything to it, so I'll chance it and add a bit. :)

Of course Ford painted all wood spokes up to the Improved Car, when varnish natural was offered. Some aftermarket wheels were natural finish in the early 'teens for use on the Ford. Some owners liked that wood look. Even Ford in '27 said owner could switch from paint to natural if desired.

And lots of autos, from the early 'teens to the late '20's, had natural wood finish on spokes. Some owners like the looks, some mfg. were proud of the quality of the hickory and showed it off. Varnished spokes lasted into the depression, when labor got intensive, and metal wheels became most popular.

So, yes, restored to factory, '25 and earlier Fords have black finish wheels.

Today, as in the days of long ago, owners could have desired natural finish and had them with accessory wheels, or removed the paint to show the wood. :D

accessoy.jpg

1916 Buick model D-54 got natural wheels, while the less sporting D-55 got green painted wheels!
Image 4-17-21 at 4.48 PM.jpeg
Image 4-17-21 at 4.46 PM.jpeg

Ser Bullet Mar 1927.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Now when are you going to post your next video?

That will be after I get at least one T back together and running. :)
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Steve,

You are, beyond a doubt, the exact opposite of offensive. I have noticed many times in the past, your great patience and your remarkable reserve when others, (sometimes myself included), would have would have taken the bait and gotten "into it" with a fellow forum member. You sir, are a gentleman. Your apology, in my opinion, was not necessary and was overly generous. Please, do not modify your tone, contributions, or language in any way. :)

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Keep up the knowledgeable posts Steve! They always make me think about different aspects of Model T’s and how we come to our own conclusions about how they were built, used, and the changes that came about over their history. The hobby needs folks like you who keep the knowledge flowing and bring others into the hobby.

sweet23
First Name: Darryl
Last Name: Bobzin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2, '25 T Runabouts, '14 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27211
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by sweet23 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:50 pm

It is a shame there cant be banter, and a little rib poking without somebody getting their feelings hurt. I have lots of "car buddies" and most of the fun is poking fun at what kind of cars some guys like or dislike. If we all liked the same thing, done the same way life would get boring very fast. PULL UP THEM HUGGIES BOYS! and have a little fun,,,,,,,,,isnt that what hobbies are suppose to be ?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:14 pm

I went back and re-read posts in response to Steve's initial post. I could find nothing or no-one who was offended in their replies, which leads me to believe other social media outlets hosted the "offendees". Just another reason to stay away from such outlets.
Keep up the good work Steve. Just don't fret about the idiot fringe.

Allan from down under.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:20 pm

Mom always said, “you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time”....or was that fool some of the people ? Well you get the point. :D

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:06 pm

Mr. Jelf,

I always enjoy your posts and you do a lot to promote the hobby. You have never posted anything I would consider even remotely offensive. Some people are just looking for a reason to be upset. I wouldn't worry about it.

Stephen

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Post by frontyboy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:59 pm

Steve,

You owe no one an apology for any comments you have made on this site past or present. In America everyone is guaranteed freedom of speech and allowed to express their opinions. You had an opinion and you expressed it and I respect you for it.

In our system of freedoms anyone that expresses their opinion do it with the expectation that some may and will object that is also guaranteed by our constitution. So it has been my experience that on average 50% will like and 50% will object that is their right.

Please don't let someone that disagrees with you, win the battle by silencing your insightful and very helpful informative articles. This forum needs yours and other members passing along information and help for newer members to keep our model t's on the road.

Steve, You are doing all members a great service by continuing to write for every model t owner.

I implore you to keep up the good work, we all owe you a debt of gratitude for your input.

We are all damn lucky to have you and other contributors helping the brethren enjoying our model T's

Frontyboy.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:01 am

I could find nothing or no-one who was offended in their replies...

It was on the Model T Ford Club of Facebook, but the offended parties were a couple of long-time forum guys. :D

I appreciate all the compliments, but I'm sorry the old chaps thought I meant to belittle them.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364

Post by It's Bill » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:19 am

Holy cow. I always learn something from the discussions your posts inspire, which is something you are really good at. I use the dauntless geezer site regularly because you provide such solid, easy to follow information. I say damn the torpedos, full speed ahead! Cheers, Bill

John Warren
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 am

Steve, As many have said in so many words, We Love You! Thanks for what you do ! jw
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Me again, the first day we got our '21 T Touring running and I drove it the first time, with my wife in the passenger side, she said "I thought you had never driven a T before." I said " I haven't , but I've ridden to town and back with Steve Jelf a bunch."

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hudson29 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 pm

One of the many things I like about the Model T hobby is the difference of opinion. The historical facts are not known 100% (eg - was the motor painted or not) and there are many different ways to go about things. That makes our job more interesting. We have to research, weigh the options and choose for ourselves.
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:41 pm

No problem, Steve. Now I will give you something controversial. I repainted the wheels of my 26 with the wire spokes. Then when I installed the first tire, I scratched the paint all up with the tire iron. On the other wheels I installed the tires from the back of the rims and the scratches don't show (they do if you look at the back side).
So You and the others can have something to chew on. Which side of the rim should the tire be installed?
Norm

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:30 pm

Norm, you needn't fit tyres to wire wheels at all. Most modern tyre shops can fit 21" tyres on their machines. At worst, there might be three little marks on the inside where the clamps grab the rim. The machine does the rest, with no contact between rim and he machine, no scratches, no grief, no busted knuckles, no cussing and no worries. The last 5 I had fitted cost me a princely $25 total!

Allan from down under.

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:39 pm

Your doing just fine Steve Keep it up , It's good to stir the pot once and a while. It just shows people are paying attention Cheers Colin

marctee
First Name: Marc
Last Name: hall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by marctee » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Steve: i think youre making this up. You just want to make sure that you have more than 1 million people coming out and saying what we all already know. That youre a Gentleman. Youre a Fine man . Peaceful and pleasant. Hope to see you at Hershey this year with your cowboy boots.....and that measuring TAPE.
Last edited by marctee on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

marctee
First Name: Marc
Last Name: hall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by marctee » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:56 pm

And Mike Kossor nailed it : we love your pictures and when you post what you " learn about t's and share with us your experience " !

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331

Post by Mopar_man » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:58 pm

If you guys think Steve's post are fun to read here. You need to get on the Dauntless Geezer page and see all the other stuff he's up to.

Steve love your posts and you "Letter to a fat kid" threw me over the top to do something. I'm down over 70 pounds and I feel great!

Whether you like it or not you're what the kids today call an influencer.

Keep posting, Keep Ting, and watch your supply of sox.

Sean Butler
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Butler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31557

Post by Sean Butler » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:25 am

Steve: Anything I may have thought I was going to say has been covered by all the above posts. Simply put, thank you for your time and efforts.
Sean Butler
Huntington Beach, CA

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:46 am

Thanks for your post Steve.

As someone who has 'gotten it wrong" and "gotten clobbered" over the years on this forum by those who "know right" I sympathise with you.

You try your best and give your thoughts and ideas. Sorry that more folk don't do that. It is far easier to "clobber" and 'attack' than to be helpful and explain and suggest If only those who proclaim that they are the real experts could take that approach instead. See Hap's or Rich Eagles or Luke's replies for models of the helpful 'explain and suggest' approach -(we all could name several several others too, in fact most of the posters here as well) - they all prove it can be done!

No matter how much we know or don't know its only by asking and posting in as helpful an approach as possible that we can learn more.

Keep up the good work Steve.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:57 am

A Whiteman wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:46 am
Thanks for your post Steve.

As someone who has 'gotten it wrong" and "gotten clobbered" over the years on this forum by those who "know right" I sympathise with you.

You try your best and give your thoughts and ideas. Sorry that more folk don't do that. It is far easier to "clobber" and 'attack' than to be helpful and explain and suggest If only those who proclaim that they are the real experts could take that approach instead. See Hap's or Rich Eagles or Luke's replies for models of the helpful 'explain and suggest' approach -(we all could name several several others too, in fact most of the posters here as well) - they all prove it can be done!

No matter how much we know or don't know its only by asking and posting in as helpful an approach as possible that we can learn more.

Keep up the good work Steve.
Very well stated. :)

Tourabout
First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Price

Post by Tourabout » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:50 am

Well Steve,
Looks like the verdict is in and you have been declared innocent. You are somewhat of a celebrity in the T Model world and that makes some people jealous and in turn they lash out. There will always be haters and there is not you can do about it but carry on.
It’s Bill said “ Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead” that’s what my old T Model Buddy used to say all the time. He was in the navy, during WWII, aboard a Destroyer Escort and that’s where he got that saying from. He saw a lot of torpedoes go by but they held their course no matter what.
I also worked with an old feller who was raised on a farm. When we had a seemingly impossible task at hand he would always say “Damn the mules, load the wagon”.
Hold your course Steve, you are on the right track.
Thanks for all you do.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic