Ruckstell won’t shift

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TrashMan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor Sedan
MTFCA Number: 31570
Board Member Since: 2020

Ruckstell won’t shift

Post by TrashMan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:41 pm

The ruckstell in my 25 Tudor is stuck. Not sure, but I think it’s stuck in high. I can’t move the shifter forward or backwards. What should I do first? Is there a easy fix for this?

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Ruckstell won’t shift

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:22 pm

Which style of shifter is on it ? Lack of lubrication internally can cause that - how was it shifting prior to "locking" up ? Have you tried to "do the dance"
between the low & reverse pedals at the same time ? Sometimes that will do it as that is the best way to shift sitting still.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:32 pm

I've never had that happen in over 50 years of driving! I would disconnect the rod to the shifter on the housing to see if the shift lever and rod moves freely. Next, try jacking up the rear end and turning the wheel while moving the shift lever. Of course as Steve mentioned above make sure you have the proper amount of oil in the unit.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:33 pm

I've never had that happen in over 50 years of driving! I would disconnect the rod to the shifter on the housing to see if the shift lever and rod moves freely. Next, try jacking up the rear end and turning the wheel while moving the shift lever. Of course as Steve mentioned above make sure you have the proper amount of oil in the unit.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:36 pm

There’s an echo in here.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Topic author
TrashMan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor Sedan
MTFCA Number: 31570

Post by TrashMan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:55 pm

RajoRacer wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:22 pm
Which style of shifter is on it ? Lack of lubrication internally can cause that - how was it shifting prior to "locking" up ? Have you tried to "do the dance"
between the low & reverse pedals at the same time ? Sometimes that will do it as that is the best way to shift sitting still.
I don’t understand. I guess it’s the stock shifter. As for lubrication, how do I check if it’s full? It’s been leaking where the drive shaft goes in. Not a lot. So, sitting still I should push in the reverse pedal?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383

Post by speedytinc » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Lift one wheel up & run. try shifting @ low RPM's. Determine if in direct or rux. Stick a magnet on a wire into the grease. Search for chunks. Remove 3 shifter mount bolts, pull shifter. Put shifter in a vise & make sure it has 2 shift positions. ( working properly). All that should narrow the possibilities.
Have seen them lock up if the castle/planetary gears have grenaded.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:09 pm

TrashMan wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:55 pm
RajoRacer wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:22 pm
I don’t understand. I guess it’s the stock shifter. As for lubrication, how do I check if it’s full? It’s been leaking where the drive shaft goes in. Not a lot. So, sitting still I should push in the reverse pedal?
Steve is referring to the shifter lock assembly at the axle itself. There’s a long and short style...

And I agree with what John says.
Once the shifter lock assembly is out, you should be able to see and slide the sliding gear easily while turning a wheel by hand.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:22 pm

Chuck didn't tell us whether or not he has been driving a T with Ruckstell or this is new to him, so I am going to describe this as I would to someone I was teaching to drive a T for the first time.
Normally, the Ruckstell will not shift when the car is standing still whether or not the engine is running. You need to be moving when you make the shift. If you are standing still, you can get it to shift by just hitting low to get the car rolling a little then it will usually shift.
When you are driving the car, to shift the ruckstell, with the car moving, you put the low pedal into neutral quickly and shift while in neutral with the car still moving. To shift from Ruckstell to high, you push up on the gas so the engine will slow down while you move the lever. To shift from high to Ruckstell, you leave the throttle down so the engine speeds up as you make the shift. The idea is to get the engine running at the speed it would be running after the shift. So the throttle is quickly moved while in neutral.
If you want to shift down so you can descend a hill with compression braking, it is important to make the shift just before you start going down the steep hill. Otherwise you could get in neutral between the gears and lose your brakes. That is why you need good auxiliary brakes and parking brake, just in case. But normally you can make the shift before going down the steep hill, and if you cannot make the shift, it would be better to leave the Ruckstell in high and use the Ford low for braking.
Norm

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:24 pm

If you have the later type Ruckstell shifter as used in 1926-27, it could be your shifter. The shifting plunger has a pin to keep the roller in correct orientation. If the pin shears off the plunger can rotate and lock up. Remove the plug from shifter and remove plunger and spring to check for sheared off pin before you remove things. I once spent half the endurance run in locked low Ruckstell, thank goodness that speedster had a full pressure A crank and a Rajo so all the RPM didn't hurt anything.

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:31 pm

More than likely your shift lock needs to be taken apart and lubricated. Unless you know the ruckstell is in good shape, I'd suggest taking it apart and going through it. Excessive wear will easily cause it to get stuck between gears and your transmission brake won't work when that happens.

Stephen

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:36 pm

Are you able to post a photo of your shifter ? I was referring to the shifter itself being "dry" which can cause issues as mentioned above !

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383

Post by speedytinc » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:53 pm

Am i seeing the implication you have not checked the gear lube level?? When a rux goes dry the planetary system welds it self together if in direct. Are you locked in direct now? Very likely. When they run dry in rux, they grenade. Do all the external checks as previously mentioned. You can also manually turn 1 raised wheel feeling for non smoothness. That will tell you if the damage goes into the differential area also. I hope for the best, but I fear the worst. Sorry. Hope to be wrong.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic