Will a 26-27 Steering Bracket work for a early steering column?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Will a 26-27 Steering Bracket work for a early steering column?

Post by ivaldes1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:32 pm

So I notice that my early steering bracket does not align with a 26-27 frame holes. Will a 26-27 Steering Bracket 3539DU work for a early steering column?
Attachments
IMG_0235 (1).jpg
IMG_0234 (2).jpg

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Will a 26-27 Steering Bracket work for a early steering column?

Post by DanTreace » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:23 pm

Yes, depends on your speedster dash/ firewall position. Most speedsters drop the column for best seating as the gas tank normally is relocated so seat in lowered too.

So most add wedge under the bracket to tilt the column down. Re drilling holes in the frame can be done too.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:38 pm

You can use a 1926 type lower steering bracket on your steering gear to match your 1926 frame. You may have to make some adjustments at the firewall to steering gear mount, I think the angle is a little diffrent but I am not sure. Of course if you are going to use a speedster drop for your steering gear this mount will be no problem.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 pm

For a speedster, you will have some issues with holes not ling up almost no matter what you use! So drill holes to match, or add brackets.
One of the biggest issues with building a speedster, is needing to lower the steering column angle. Part of what makes it difficult is that the pedals interfere with the steering column. One way to relieve that problem at least a little bit, is to move the steering column's lower bracket up to inside the frame rails! Doing so effectively raises the lower bracket about one inch. The column pivots on the firewall bracket near its middle, and in turn lowers the steering wheel also about one inch. So, doing so with the steering wheel in a comfortable position gains almost an inch between the column and pedals. Just a little less bending will be required.
I have done this on I think three speedsters. No problems with frame and pitman arm interfering with each other.

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:27 pm

Wayne sounds good, do you have to drill a new, higher, upper hole in the frame to achieve this? Do you have to trim the lower part of the wood block?
Wayne Sheldon wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 pm
For a speedster, you will have some issues with holes not ling up almost no matter what you use! So drill holes to match, or add brackets.
One of the biggest issues with building a speedster, is needing to lower the steering column angle. Part of what makes it difficult is that the pedals interfere with the steering column. One way to relieve that problem at least a little bit, is to move the steering column's lower bracket up to inside the frame rails! Doing so effectively raises the lower bracket about one inch. The column pivots on the firewall bracket near its middle, and in turn lowers the steering wheel also about one inch. So, doing so with the steering wheel in a comfortable position gains almost an inch between the column and pedals. Just a little less bending will be required.
I have done this on I think three speedsters. No problems with frame and pitman arm interfering with each other.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 pm

Here is the steering column support bracket on my 1926 coupe. I suppose if the hole pattern matched up, it would fit. Jim Patrick

1F36DAAC-9DC4-48E5-8E22-8BAD2A34EB24.jpeg
8EA08B0A-7062-4795-9DEF-429AFF15C42B.jpeg
8EA08B0A-7062-4795-9DEF-429AFF15C42B.jpeg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 am

Ignacio, Lots of options. I have built five speedsters over the years. Cannot remember all the details of all of them. On one, I raised the bottom bracket enough that the upper (sideways) bolt went just over the top of the frame rail. I bent and bolted a flat steel (strap iron/bar stock) from one of the bottom bolt holes (the back one as I recall) and ran it up the outside of the frame rail. Drilled a bolt hole placed to match the bracket hole just above the frame rail. and ran the bolt over the frame rail clamping the the rail with the bolt. It was really solid and strong. I ran that car for several years and a number of Endurance Runs with no problems from this method.
Another car, I re-drilled below the original sideways bolt in the bracket itself to match the original hole in the frame. It was a tight fit, and also clamped the bracket onto the upper frame rail (wooden blocks made to fit were also used on this one). This was another car I ran for several years, and worked very well.
The point is, that you need to assemble everything loosely, use undersize bolts or C-clamps, whatever works, until you find the positions for the pedals, steering column, seats, etc. Then you can figure what bolt holes to use, where to drill new ones, or fit brackets to make things solid and strong.
Have fun! And make it as safe as a hundred year old car can be.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic