Powder Coat or Paint My 1927 Coupe Frame/Axles/Wheels?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BLB27
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Brakke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe
MTFCA Number: 31192

Powder Coat or Paint My 1927 Coupe Frame/Axles/Wheels?

Post by BLB27 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm

I planned to have the frame/axles/wheels blast cleaned and then brush paint them using Rust-Oleum primer and Rust-Oleum black gloss. However, I now am considering having them powder coated. I would appreciate members commenting on these two options.
Attachments
20201111_165703.jpg

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Powder Coat or Paint My 1927 Coupe Frame/Axles/Wheels?

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:08 pm

In your post of March 30, on this same subject, you received 27 responses on painting your frame. I respectfully suggest you review your prior post on this to get the answer you seek. I doubt that much more can be added. Good luck. Jim Patrick

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:12 am

I have a more recent observation since the earlier discussion. Over twenty years ago I had to replace the wood on a back yard swing my uncle made before the war. I painted the metal parts with rattle can Rustoleum, which needs no primer. This swing sits outside, rain or shine, summer and winter, through all weather. Today I noticed that over twenty years later, the paint on those metal parts is still doing its job, looking as it always has, with no rust and no flaking.

My second comment is just opinion and hasn't changed. Despite originality and practicality, I still prefer a satin finish for chassis parts, especially the engine. I painted an engine glossy, and hated the way it looked, so I gave it a coat of satin and like that much better. For wheels and body, I go with glossy.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:59 am

I powder coated my frame on my 27 and will not do it again. I painted everything else that bolted to it. If you need to refinish or sand to bare metal it’s a chore. It melts. Just my opinion

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:48 am

If you had power coating that melted or rolled up when you sanded it, sounds like it was not cured. Try a MEK rub to see it takes it off. If so, paint is not cured.
Today’s appliances are made from precoated coils. The forming is done after the steel is painted. Dan

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:49 am

Refer to the March 30th post. Lots of information on the subject already to make the decision. Good luck.

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:20 am

I have had multiple frames powder coated. You can pick any combination of gloss, all the way to flat sheen. A proper powder coating company will sandblast the frame and parts to bare metal, and uniformly apply the powder to achieve a nice even finish. All surfaces and threaded holes you want to be powder free will need to be masked by the powdercoater. It’s a nice time saving method of chassis restoration, and it’s wonderful putting a freshly powder coated chassis back together.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:44 am

The decision on what method to paint the chassis depends on your objectives (show or go). I took my chassis to be sand blasted and just primer-ed to prevent rusting. It was sort of chick and egg decision. There was some things left to do that would require welding or riveting and some pit marks to take care of and thought it would be easier to do those things with a sandblasted chassis. When I went to pickup the chassis they had powered coated the chassis with a primer coat and just paint primer-ed the rear axle housing and torque tube. The bill was about double. I lost the argument.

The first point I am trying to make is what needs to be done to the chassis and in what sequence - the last step is paint. The second point is how do you plan to use the T once its done and how will it be stored when not in use. In other words, what benefit will it (paint or powder coat) provide the T in the next 20 years.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:55 pm

I will only powder coat wire wheels & rims.

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 pm

As for longevity, I had my Model A chassis powder coated gloss black 20 years ago. It looks like it did when it was done, no lifting, and the nice gloss remains.

Topic author
BLB27

Post by BLB27 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm

Jim, I took your "I respectively suggest you review your prior post on this---" to mean I should not have asked for more comments. I wanted more comments so I asked for more.

lloyde
First Name: Lloyde
Last Name: Eckley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring 1926 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25712

Post by lloyde » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:52 pm

Powder coating process was invented in 1945. It's not easy to remove if you should decide to restore the car to original, but it's your car so do what you like

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:22 am

If, after 27 replies, you need more help, to arrive at a decision, instead of starting a new thread and asking the same question, go back to the original thread and type in, “bump”. That will send your original question back to the top and allow members to see that it was a prior thread instead of a new post from someone else and see what was posted before, so as not to re-post suggestions that were posted on the original thread. This also helps future members who may be searching the forum for help on this subject by consolidating all the information in one thread, instead of splitting it up into several threads.

This happened in October when you could not get your gas cap off. On that thread, You received 16 responses. Then in the beginning of February you posted that you still could not get it off and received 45 responses. At the end of February, after 3 weeks, with no follow up on whether you got it off or not, we asked and received the answer from you that you had not even tried yet... Jim Patrick

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:42 am

BLB27 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm
Jim, I took your "I respectively suggest you review your prior post on this---" to mean I should not have asked for more comments. I wanted more comments so I asked for more.
So please tell us which comments you favor If its not to much to ask, perhaps you could summarize the Pro's & Con's for those who have contributed to your request less they be repeated again in this thread. Maybe you could filter out opinion's from facts as well.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:23 pm

BLB27 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm

Your first post mentioned you don't have a spray gun, or have sprayed with a gun. So rattle can or brush is the alternative. And now you suspect blast and powder coat of the frame, wheels, and axles is desired.

Powder coat is a good alternative, esp. if the sand blaster can coat too. Most powder coat facilities do sand blast, so for the money you are ahead.

Coat the frame after checking rivets and things that need correcting.

Coat the front axle, less the spindles, and protect the yoke threads, holes, and perch holes from coating.

Coating the rear housings is a bit more entailed, as protecting the outer bearing opening, grease retainer surfaces, perch and radius rod holes, and threaded brake shoe bolt hole, oiler holes, oil drain, and the inner opening of the pumpkins from any sand or coating is required. Cost will be much more for the prep. And you have to tell the blaster coater all this info too, they won't know.

Blasting and coating of the wire wheels is very much desired and easy for the powder coater to do.

To me, only the bare frame and wire wheels should be coated, all the other drive line components require a lot of protection and prep with knowledge of the works.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:56 pm

That is well stated, AGREE. Personally i would not P/C a frame for the some of the same reasons for rear end. Mounting holes need to be redrilled, grounding points must be reestablished, springs may not fit back in frame. If i could not paint it myself, i might go thru the hassles of powder coat or more likely rattle can it.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:14 pm

So as not to be overly redundant, I bumped his first thread up the top so everyone can review it and see what has already been posted on this subject. Jim Patrick

Topic author
BLB27

Post by BLB27 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:42 pm

Jim, Thanks, now I understand what I should do in the future.

Topic author
BLB27

Post by BLB27 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:58 pm

Thanks to all members for the comments. I have decided to brush paint frame, axles, wheels with Rust-Oleum primer and Rust-Oleum gloss black.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic