Installing transmission cover....

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Installing transmission cover....

Post by NU2theT » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:10 pm

Yes it look's real easy on the several you-hou videos, the muscles in the middle of my back are still sore and I did this monday. That was probably the hardest thing I had to do to this T. After the cover was on it was real fun to line up all those bolt holes.

Lowering the cover and trying to keep the darned clutch release ring from rolling upward with its weight was really fun. Was finally able to get that cover on, clutch release ring into rear groove on clutch shaft, gaskets good and not torn up in the process :shock:

Bolted down and installed the oil level gauge, thanks Tim Morsher. Rags installed around bands and next step to adjust for initial break in. Thanks to Langs installing the linings/parts and Scott Conger for installation/adjustment help.
Attachments
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Installing transmission cover....

Post by speedytinc » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:25 pm

Never fun. I recently saw someone using a plastic wire tie on the clutch brass C, going to try that next time. Pix dont show how much was removed. I remove the starter & exhaust manifold.
If you thought that was tough, volunteer to do that for your buddies center door.

Topic author
NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Post by NU2theT » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 pm

John, after that job I would be reluctant to help but would as a first timer I know from experience it's easier the next time you try :D

I did remove the exhaust pipe/starter ect, getting by the manifold was not a problem. I did remove most of the "in the way stuff" the darned cover assembly just was heavier than I expected.

I will admit I only hit my head on the steering column once...yes I did remove the steering wheel. It was tight in my Fordor.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 pm

I've never removed and replaced a hogs head in the car, but if I did, being elderly and feeble, I'd be inclined to use a hoist, especially if it's the cast iron variety.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 pm

I removed the cover in my 24 Coupe years ago when I was a little younger. Nowadays if I was to do it again I would remove the firewall to give more working room. When your younger and dumber and bend around like pretzel you can do things but now? I’ll be smarter and go slower and do things the easier way so you can have more room. ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic