Henry throws a fit

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Henry throws a fit

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:27 am

Interesting story about the car that was to be sold along with the Model T:
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotiv ... RAzmTapxns
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Henry throws a fit

Post by Quickm007 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:14 am

Nice article to read, I would like to be the owner of the fifteen millionth car as well!
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:13 pm

To tell the truth the country was not ready for electric cars then and in many used maybe still not now!! In the middle teen's if you had power you live in town or had a light plant! Bud. :D

Bud Delong

Post by Bud Delong » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:13 pm

To tell the truth the country was not ready for electric cars then and in many used maybe still not now!! In the middle teen's if you had power you live in town or had a light plant! Bud. :D

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:21 am

Great story Steve, that pic of the touring body being installed is a new one to me. Do not believe I have seen in in any of the reference books.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 am

Electric cars are old tech. Excellent electric cars were available well over 100 years ago. The problem with them then was limited battery capacity, limited battery service life, high battery weight and bulk, and nasty battery chemicals, among other battery issues. The same issues limit the appeal of electric cars today, more or less. The rotary electric motor is pre-Civil War tech, older than rotary internal combustion engines... if that matters. As far as that goes, the chemical electric battery is very old tech, perhaps the oldest of all. See: "Baghdad Battery". Back in the day, many rural households had "Delcolite" plants and wind chargers which could have been used to charge an electric car. Of course, the light plants used that horrid gasoline as their primary energy input .... and the wind chargers were as fickle as the wind and still are. But a clever farmer could have used either or both to (eventually) charge up his Baker so Mama could make her weekly butter and egg run to McKee's Store, if the road was good. If someone ever comes up with a really good, practical battery, electric cars will quickly displace IC cars and other IC vehicles, and I would expect to see a great many IC vehicles repowered with electric drive, absent regulatory interference. Electric cars as available today would get a great boost in consumer appeal if we could find an inexpensive way to fully air condition them without using the large amounts of power that curret automotive HVAC systems require.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:11 pm

Back 50 years ago most vehicles did not have a refrigeration plant installed in their car for "passenger comfort" - we had "4-60" air conditioning, Bee-catcher swamp coolers, etc... even 30 years ago my work truck had a heater and vent, and if you needed it cooler there was a 2 speed fan bolted to the dash - high or low - and that was it. Windows fogged up? Turn on the defroster and OPEN THE WING VENTS... I drove various VW bugs in 100+ degree weather... open the wings, roll down the windows, open the "bat wing" rear windows (if the car had them) and while maybe not like sitting in a 65 degree box, it was tolerable to get from A to B.

There IS a necessity for a cooling system, but it's not for the passengers as much as it is to keep the battery stack cool while it's under charge/discharge modes...

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:08 pm

And there’s my history lesson for this week. Perhaps HF was just trying to impress TAE.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:03 pm

I put 600,000 miles on a solid black, solar-heated 1968 Ford F-100. That thing could get HOT in the Texas sun! It did have kick panel vents and vent windows in the doors. Modern bubblecars would be intolerable for most people without HVAC. Some of them have 2 acre dashboards and lots of inward-slanted glass area. At least the '68 Ford had some shade inside, with its more nearly vertical windshield and other glass.

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:23 pm

My grandfather started building my house in 1918 and worked on it in stages until the thirties. Even though it was electrified in 1935, it has never had AC. Next month I will open the windows and leave them open until next fall, closing some of them only when it rains. What do I do in the dog days of summer when the thermometer hovers around 100ºF? I turn on an electric fan and enjoy the breeze. Yes, it uses electricity, but not like refrigeration.

Similarly, when I drive a Model T or other obsolete vehicle, the generous ventilation prevents undue suffering.

But when I drive a modern car like my Camry, at least at high speeds, I need the AC because the vehicle is an enclosed capsule. If you drive with the widows open in a modern car designed for them to be closed, the wind beats you up.

Maybe the cure for needing AC so much is to design cars with better ventilation.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:04 pm

The author missed a bit on the actual success of Edison's new battery and the early electric cars, from 1900 to 1914 only about 10 mfg.of electric passenger cars existed. There were many more commercial trucks, delivery type with battery power then too.

Showing the last adv. with Henry and Tom was fortunate, as the Baker Elec. car company went bankrupt the year of the adv. 1914.

His 'new' battery in 1909, found success limited. The initial truck type Edison A weighted 700 lbs. at a cost considerable more than the then in use lead/acid type. Early battery cars and trucks worked for a while, then gasoline power made better economy. Cost to operate over distance and could carry heavier loads.

In 1909, the year of Edison's new battery, only handful of commercial trucks were battery powered, and at this New York show, no electric passenger cars were shown, same show that displayed the new Model T Ford.
IMG_4306.jpeg

Edison's new battery.
IMG_4304.jpeg
Some of the results of testing
IMG_4305.jpeg
Ford did better sticking to gasoline for the T....early battery technology, even with Tom Edison tinkering, was limited.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Bud Delong

Post by Bud Delong » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 pm

As per title, [Henry throw's a fit] I think the famous fit was when Henry came back from the other side of the pond and found the car that was to replace the early Model T!!! A well written story on this is in Tin Lizzie by Stern!!! Bud. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic