Best T for a Man of Distinction (Fat Dude)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
OldGreen
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Green

Best T for a Man of Distinction (Fat Dude)

Post by OldGreen » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm

I am looking for my first T. I have experience with Model Ts, and have decided to purchase my own. Many of you on this forum have answered my questions when you post an ad, and I really appreciate it. Since the area where I live does not have a lot of Model Ts to try out, I thought I would as the Forum for advice for the best option for a Fat Old Man. Any advice is appreciated.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Best T for a Man of Distinction (Fat Dude)

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:47 pm

I find that I can enter my '27 roadster from the drivers' side.... with difficulty... I can just squeeze between the door jamb and the steering wheel, but then my big feet are difficult to work past the hand lever and the seat riser. I usually enter from the passenger side. A "fatman" wheel was a popular option, and I can see why. If you are a full-size guy, you do not need to be anywhere near obese to have to contort and squeeze to enter from the driver side of the open cars. I think the closed cars are much easier to enter and offer more room once inside.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:53 pm

At least avoid a Coupe. To me they're chlostraphobic. You may want a Torpedo or a '13 or '14, they have lots of legroom

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by aDave » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:54 pm

'15 or earlier touring, delivery vehicle (T , not TT), or early station wagon, such as this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17284

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:51 pm

26-27 coupe, big doors, seat can be moved back, bigger pedals, lower running boards.

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:26 pm

It seems unlikely, but my centerdoor sedan has more room than any other car I've had; it's the hardest to get into, but once you're finally in the seat it has a lot of room behind the wheel. I've never found an excess of space in pre-1922 open cars. The redesigned, mid-'20s open car bodies (not the "Improved Cars") are roomier. I didn't find my (or any other) 1926 cars to be very roomy at all; the low seats make me feel like I'm sitting in a hole and, with the low seats, my knees are jackknifed too far.

It would probably be worth the time to try as many as possible out, visit local members and talk it out with them.

A lot can be gained with a smaller steering wheel, too.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat May 01, 2021 1:48 am

Steve Jelf will help explain how you can fit into any car you purchase. He has done it.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat May 01, 2021 10:35 am

But I no longer fit the description. Years ago I got fed up with being fat and gave it up. :D

Personal experience beats word of mouth. Contact your local club and ask to try on various years and body styles.
http://www.southernpeachts.com/
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Sat May 01, 2021 10:56 am

My '25 coupe is cramped and my '26 Roadster is worse, especially for leg room. The best T for seating comfort is the early suicide door Coupes as they have no package tray so the seat is around 4" further back. Maybe that's why Henry drove one personally till 1928. The '26-'27 coupes are similar as the cab is longer than the '24-25 Coupes and as well, the doors are a bit wider. For a quick reference compare the front of the seat edge location to the starter switch (same location an all Model T's) and you'll see the differences right away.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:52 am

Remember that people were a bit shorter and thinner back then.
Girth is a limiting factor for getting in and out and driver position (steering wheel, emergency brake, pedal reach etc)
Weight considerations on frame ('26-'27 frames stronger than earlier), running board braces.
Flexibility - Model T's, TT's and most Speedsters require stepping up into them - not many handholds to assist in that endeavor.
If you have trouble stepping up into a new heavy duty pickup, a Model T would be much harder.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Oldav8tor
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat May 01, 2021 11:52 am

I'm a big guy with big feet (14's). I fit comfortably in my 1917 Touring. In my opinion, open cars are a little easier to get into.

In my car, the springs in the back of the front seat were removed by a previous owner which gives a little more room without damaging appearance or comfort.
My recent re-upholstery job before I put the trim around the edges.  There is no back spring in the front seat, just thin, dense foam and the batting attached to the seat material-ignore the yellow arrows.
My recent re-upholstery job before I put the trim around the edges. There is no back spring in the front seat, just thin, dense foam and the batting attached to the seat material-ignore the yellow arrows.
I added extenders to all pedals to accommodate my big feet and an extender on the "brake" lever to accommodate my shortening arms.
This "period-correct" lever extender works very well. It's much easier to shift in and out of high and no dragging the pawl across the ratchet teeth.
This "period-correct" lever extender works very well. It's much easier to shift in and out of high and no dragging the pawl across the ratchet teeth.
I found it beneficial to add an "extender" to the reverse pedal extender to keep my fat toes away from the other pedals.
I found it beneficial to add an "extender" to the reverse pedal extender to keep my fat toes away from the other pedals.

FWIW - the 1911 & '12 Torpedoes are reputed to have the most leg room but they are rare and pricey. The cars up to 1920 had 15 inch or smaller steering wheels - after which they were 16 inches for a few years and 17 inches in the last couple of years of production. I've heard the later cars have less room but have no personal experience to bear that out.

To echo the advice of others, don't buy a car without first sitting in it or a car like it.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm

I have a '26 roadster and I'm fairly comfortable, once in it, so far. I have not made any long excursions yet. I'm 6'1, and there's not much room for my left leg, and it looks like 2 people of about any size would be short of room riding in it. Just looking at my car, it appears to me that modifying the seat back cushion as others have done would make a considerable improvement by adding more useful leg room and moving shoulders and derriers further back from the dash where the car body is wider. It might make carrying a passenger a lot more comfortable. I may give it a try, since it's easy enough to remove the stock cushion and a trial modified cushion could be made up inexpensively. I can raise my self off the seat bottom cushion andf push back into the back cushion and get my legs in to a near normal driving position. It looks like I could raise the bottom cushion about 1 to 11/2" and still have enough head room with the top up and enough knee clearance under the steering wheel. The car body is a little wider toward the top, so raising the cushion would also give a little more hip room. it looks like a simple spacer would do to raise the bottom cushion, and the modified back cushion could be made to allow for the higher bottom cushion.

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sun May 02, 2021 4:25 pm

Speedsters (specifically those similar to the Rootlieb kit or the earlier Syverson kits etc.) built in the last 30 years or so often have the seats a little further back because the person who built them wanted a little more room. And depending on how the front seat assembly was attached to the speedster body, they can sometimes (but not always) easily be removed and set back a little further if needed.

See:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/17 ... 1302663195 as well as

http://www.rootlieb.com/speedster-kits.html

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l915 cut off

Topic author
OldGreen
Last Name: Green

Post by OldGreen » Sun May 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks to all for the great advice. I have had several generous owners let me try out their cars as I continue my search.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun May 02, 2021 4:56 pm

The older you get the more room in my experience. 27 roadster - worst for leg room. Added extra padding to the seat base. better, but still tough un the legs. 23 touring. ok. 20 touring - quite comfortable Higher seat frame?? 14 roadster - endless leg room. Cant reach the firewall. If you get an early t with the small steering wheel or put a smaller wheel on a later T, I highly recommend a 5:1 gear set for much better steering control.

Model T Ron
Last Name: Bakow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Model T Touring
MTFCI Number: 25350

Post by Model T Ron » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Oldav8tor wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:52 am
I'm a big guy with big feet (14's). I fit comfortably in my 1917 Touring. In my opinion, open cars are a little easier to get into.

In my car, the springs in the back of the front seat were removed by a previous owner which gives a little more room without damaging appearance or comfort.
IMG_1434.jpg
I added extenders to all pedals to accommodate my big feet and an extender on the "brake" lever to accommodate my shortening arms.
IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1480.jpg

FWIW - the 1911 & '12 Torpedoes are reputed to have the most leg room but they are rare and pricey. The cars up to 1920 had 15 inch or smaller steering wheels - after which they were 16 inches for a few years and 17 inches in the last couple of years of production. I've heard the later cars have less room but have no personal experience to bear that out.

To echo the advice of others, don't buy a car without first sitting in it or a car like it.
This may be an option for me as I love a Touring car but its a bit tight. For reference what length pants do you have? I have 34 to 36 and a lot of my height is in my legs.

Thanks
Ron

Oldav8tor
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:48 pm

I wear a 30 inch pant leg - my length is in my torso. Another option is to build a depot hack or piewagon and move the seat back as far as you want for leg room.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic