Laminated main shims...HUH?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Laminated main shims...HUH?

Post by Thorlick » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Rusty, my 1927 roadster pick-up (L.A.F.D. Mountain Patrol Vehicle), decided that he should have a short vacation whilst I was tasked with a bit of maintenance. Yesterday I dropped the pan maintenance cover to investigate a slight knock which suddenly developed in the #1 rod. This deficit of babbit material in #1 is the first time in over 10 years of using my "Horlick Mountain Pan" that such a problem has developed. One might think that I was running low on oil, but I had topped the oil supply immediately before this drive. The drive was a normal daily drive up the hill to Grass Valley California. The last pitch was about 3 miles of significant up grade... nothing much for here, but perhaps the Himalayas to Michiganer.

Here is a photo of the rod ready for replacement. It seems to be using invisible babbit!

Wiped rod
Wiped rod
rodsmall.jpg (30.36 KiB) Viewed 7531 times
In the interest of presenting an honest record I took a photo of the Mountain pan. To my shock I realized (note the greasy hand palm print on my forehead) I had for some stupid reason returned Rusty to stock... no Mountain Pan, no Horlick oiler! Well I could smile in looking at Rusty's originality, but I am back to original style wiped bearings. When I reassemble this you can be sure it will have a Horlick Mountain Pan modification in place.

Here's the pan cover ... stock Ford Not the improved Mountain Pan design.
Stock pan cover
Stock pan cover
pansmall.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 7531 times

Here is a photo of the Mountain Pan I thought was in there!
Mountain Pan
Mountain Pan
mountain pan.jpg (38.72 KiB) Viewed 7531 times

Upon looking at my center main bearing I was shocked to see a time bomb in progress:

Main bearing laminated shims
Main bearing laminated shims
mainsmall.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 7531 times
My usual build involves torquing the mains and then backing off just far enough to insert a cotter pin. I can't believe how the shims have been forced out the side of the main! I will be replacing these shims!

I was absolutely flabbergasted that I would loose a rod with my Mountain Pan, but now find that instead the improved design is not discredited but seems to be indicated more strongly!

IMHO, TH

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Re: Laminated main shims...HUH?

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:19 pm

WOW Terry !! Keep the oiler for sure. As far as caps, I was always told to go tighter and add cotter. I think you're going to be putting your "Mountain Pan" back on.

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:23 pm

OH and I don't know what happened to the shims. Interested in finding out.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:41 pm

I like your dip tray modification. Interesting concept

And that is one of the reasons I use Loktite instead of cotter pins in these applications!!

Topic author
Thorlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project

Post by Thorlick » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Upon further cogitation I remembered (through the haze of time) that last time I had this engine apart to work upon I found that the pan was no longer perfectly straight. Due to my usual T-guy frugality, I chose not to pay to have the pan straightened since I had another straightened pan ready to go. My mistake (well, one of my mistakes) was to forget to swap in the access cover which has my Mountain Pan dips brazed in place. That will be easily rectified.
Clever Horlick Mountain Pan
Clever Horlick Mountain Pan
This is the Mountain Pan. I will just swap this back onto the engine pan now in use. It is only 1/3 of my mountain set-up but is the heart of the system. It is a totally hidden modification which does the most to save you from spinning off rod bearings in the hills... I wish I had left this in my car! You can easily see the secret of this modification; as you go uphill the rear of the dip keeps the the oil from running back to the bell housing. This is very simple and extremely effective!

This is a long slow job... because I don't heat my garage. Since warm weather is on the way this job shouldn't take too long.

TH

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:43 pm

I have done something very similar for years, especially on my speedsters, ever since I lost number one rod on an Endurance Run about 25 years ago (steep hill!). Terry does a much nicer job than I generally do. His pan dams are prettier than mine.

That main set of shims is bizarre. Brass shims should not do that unless the bearing cap was loose to the block. A friend of mine was putting a T together in the middle of the night to make it to a run a couple days ahead. He found he had no shims handy, so he cut some out of aluminum soda cans. He told me about it after the fact, and I commented that I didn't think it was a good idea. He did make it to the races, and completed the day. Then afterwards (partly because of my concerns), he pulled the pan cover and found the soft aluminum had beaten out of the rods and mains. He redid the engine with brass shims and drove it for a couple years before he had the engine properly done.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:42 pm

I would suggest that as far as the engine knew, the bearing was in fact loose. You don't ever want to stretch the bolt and "squash" the shims and then relieve tension...any amount...Nada...zip...never. Tighten until you're happy and then advance enough to install cotter pins. And looking at the bolt heads, they were either not clocked to easily accept cotter pins or have rotated in use.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 pm

I guess the moral of the story is; when you loosen your main bolts, the shims can fall out.

Aarongriffey
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Griffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring

Post by Aarongriffey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 am

I’m with Scott on this one. Never loosen the nut to put the cotter pin in.
Get a box of Chev V8 rod nuts and forget the cotter pins.
The nuts don’t loosen on modern engines.
If you’re worried that they will loosen then put pal nuts on after the nut is tightened or use locktight.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 am

T main bolts should run 75 ft lb. torque minimum. Tighten up to align pin, never loosen. If this is a problem, swap nuts around to get something that works.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:56 am

If I can't advance the nut enough to fit the cotter pin? After several times of trying different nuts to only find the same "not quite"? I just remove the nut, carefully file a small amount off the nut bottom, and replace. It does not take much for the nut to advance one twelfth of a turn. Do try to file straight and flat.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 am

I’m with Scott and Aaron. Never loosen and don’t use cotter pins. I have never had an issue.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am

Aarongriffey wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 am
Which Chevy V8....a typical small block 350?
1924 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:43 am

rustyfords wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am
[quote=Aarongriffey post_id=15980 time=<a href="tel:1552280105">1552280105</a> user_id=1026]
Which Chevy V8....a typical small block 350?
[/quote]

They're pretty much all the same...

One of the first lessons I was taught as a kid,
you ALWAYS tighten to find cotter pin holes. We all can see the results of backing off to align.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:57 am

I think laminated shims are great. The problem is they don't make them thin enough to get an accurate adjustment. .003 is too thick to be able to get.0015 clearance.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 am

All the laminated shims I’ve seen in the last 20 years come apart in .002” laminations.

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Ruxstel24 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:43 am

Dave, are you saying to use the Chevrolet rod nuts on the Model T main bearing bolts or on the Model T rods?
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Thorlick wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:49 pm
Ruxstel24 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:43 am

Dave, are you saying to use the Chevrolet rod nuts on the Model T main bearing bolts or on the Model T rods?
The rod cap nuts...
T main bolts are bigger.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Use small block Chevy bolts too. They pretty much fit right on. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Kohnke Rebabbitting
First Name: Herman
Last Name: Kohnke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Roadster, 1922 Coupe

Post by Kohnke Rebabbitting » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:27 am

Model T main shims should come in .032 thousandths thickness, but the people that have them made use the less expensive, .003. I tried to get them to go to .002, but NO.

To use the .003 thousandths, get some .001, and .002 thousandths, sheet stock.

If you are a adjusting a bearing, and the bearing is to loose, take out one shim of .003, on one side ONLY, and try your clearance, if to tight, with .003 out, put in a piece of your .002 shim stock, or a piece of .001 thousandths. Doing it that you can set any bearing at any clearance you want.

Never take out both sides at the same time, unless it is a long way to go. But if you have to take both sides at .003, you are about in the market for new bearings. Most broken Model T cranks come from an out of alignment situations, in the Bearings, Pan, or crank.

When you try to straighten a crank, and use with out grinding, the center main might indicate straight, but there is no way the crank will be straight. It will flex, and will break at some time.

Model T main bolts should be pulled, with OILED Threads, to 80 foot pounds, then pull the Key hole, if, your using Keys, and forget about them.

We have for 55 years, used New lock washers, and pull 80 foot Pounds

Herm.
Attachments
Model T Locking Connecting Rod Nuts 009.jpg
Model T Locking Connecting Rod Nuts 002.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic