'21 Touring top, again

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

'21 Touring top, again

Post by thom » Wed May 05, 2021 9:42 pm

I've wondered and thought about installing the new top I've had for our '21 Touring for about 3 years now. Just never could get up the courage to do it. I had decided to have my upholsterer friend to do it, when he could work it into his schedule. Now he has had recent heart surgery and probably won't be working for a while. The car will be 100 years old n the 22nd of this month and I would really like to have the top on. I guess I'll reread all the instructions and watch all the videos and just do it!

Emeraude
First Name: George
Last Name: Loranger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 touring
MTFCA Number: 32239

Re: '21 Touring top, again

Post by Emeraude » Thu May 06, 2021 9:42 am

I just got through putting on a top on my 21 touring. Send me. A pm and your phone number and will give you my thoughts.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: '21 Touring top, again

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu May 06, 2021 10:11 am

The instructions I've found online are really poor, as is the written material provided with the tops. My recommendation would be to see if you can find someone familiar with such installations within a reasonable distance and have a pro do it. Short of that, there have been a number of discussions on the subject so I would check the archive.
I have a '17 which shouldn't be too different.
Here's what I learned:
1.) Check your bows carefully. I had to replace mine. I also cleaned out the sockets, digging out the rotting original strengthening sticks. I then poured resin into them for strength and rust protection.
2.) Wrap your bows on the bias - My wife sewed the fabric into a sleeve that slipped on then I shrank it by wetting and heat. My front bow was wrapped in vinyl. I had to do that in three pieces and glue it on.
3.) Make absolutely sure the bows and sockets are properly positioned. my "guy" used wire and boards to brace them.
4.) Once the bows are in position install the webbing and pads
5.) Install the back piece first, then the front. Do it on a warm day when you can stretch the top. You might want to let it sit a day to be sure it is in the correct position before doing the final attachment.
Here are a couple of photos... look closely at the bracing.

Having it done by the 22nd might be a bit optimistic but you should be able to do it in it's 100th year :D

Good luck!
Tim
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic